Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2006, 02:01   #1

Location: Live in Devon, England. Boat is in either Grenada or Bequia, West Indies.
Boat: Gemini 3200 32' JACK DUSTY
Gemini 3200 Catamaran

Any Gemini 3200 sailors out there? I live in UK during the summer (May-Oct) and sail The Grenadines during the winter (Nov - Apr). I base in Grenada for the hurricane season and in Bequia for the sailing season.

'Jack Dusty' is a 1980's model, hull # PC 100324E191, and had been badly neglected before I bought it in BVI's last year (2005).

So, for my first ever catamaran after a lifetime of sailing heavy displacement wooden boats, lots to learn and lots to do.

I'd like to hear from anyone with similar interests.

Malcolm. (latlongus@yahoo.com)
Jack Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 05:06   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
How were the rudders on the Gemini? I have one next to me in our marina, and the owner is slowly restoring her. He had replacement rudders made locally, but it took forever to get them.

Sounds like you have the perfect boat for the area you sail in.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 05:37   #3

Location: Live in Devon, England. Boat is in either Grenada or Bequia, West Indies.
Hello Rick, This model has transom hung rudder carriers into which slide rudder boards. No problem with the boards but the s/s carriers have needed welding and the transom mounting plates renewing. That has all been done, thank goodness. Now working on idea to fit a Harken furler to the jib (a furler, not a reefer, see Harken 3049). If there is a boat next door to you there is a measurement I could do with. My trouble is that I am in UK at the moment and the boat is in Grenada. I need to know how easy it will be to fit an eye bolt complete with backing plate into a foredeck position just aft of the forestay. The furler will use a wire-luff jib hoisted behind the existing forestay. I will need around 6" clearance to accommodate the furler drum. Thanks for your interest. Malcolm.
Old 22-08-2006, 06:08   #4
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Jack,

The owner of the Gemini is currently vacationing in Ireland (small world). I'd have to await his return for permission to get that measurement.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 06:40   #5

Boat: PDQ32
Gemini Groups

You may get some help from the Gemini Owners group forum - you can join at Gemini_Cats-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

There is also a users group at www.geminigems.net
Old 22-08-2006, 07:13   #6

Thanks, Rick. Maybe when the owner has done with Guinness he will help with my query. Just need to know if I can get my hand in via the anchor locker sufficiently far forward to fix a backing plate for the foredeck eyebolt to take the furler drum. Thank you for your interest. Malcolm.
Old 22-08-2006, 07:14   #7

Henry V, Thanks for the tips, I'll follow up. Malcolm.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:55   #8

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Grenada

Hi Malcolm:

We spent two years down there, but have sailed Cat Tales back to Canada for two years, to work on her and on our "kitty". We'll be returning in 2008. Can you tell me where you store "Jack Dusty"? We used Peakes in Chaguaramas, and would like to investigate other options.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 00:35   #9

Hi Sonosailor and good to meet you through the Forum. I run Jack Dusty as a private members' charter boat in the Grenadines. My patch is between St.Vincent to the north and Grenada to the south. I've been around those waters for 20 years or so and will be happy to share information. Jack Dusty is kept on a mangrove-protected mooring in Grenada during the hurricane season and in Port Elizabeth, Bequia, from November to April - the peak sailing season. By virtue of limited funds I am strictly a non-marina type but have long standing arrangements with trusted local guys who look after the boat during my absenses. There are now several marinas/yards in Grenada where a boat may be safely based and left in good hands. Two are: www.grenadamarine.com and www.clarkescourtbaymarina.com. Further up the chain you really need to get to St.Lucia before you find significant marina/yard activity in places like Rodney Bay.
In between member weeks, Jack Dusty usually has the odd period of 7 or 10 days when I'm free to show fellow sailors something of the area for what amounts to anti-foul money. I seek to fill such pocket money gaps by word of mouth only. I'll be happy to answer your questions although this Forum system gets me confused sometimes since I am not at home with computers. You could try direct email to latlongus@yahoo.com if you wished. I'm leaving UK to go out to the boat on Nov 9. All best, Malcolm.
Old 07-10-2006, 00:37   #10

Hi Sonosailor and good to meet you through the Forum. I run Jack Dusty as a private members' charter boat in the Grenadines. My patch is between St.Vincent to the north and Grenada to the south. I've been around those waters for 20 years or so and will be happy to share information. Jack Dusty is kept on a mangrove-protected mooring in Grenada during the hurricane season and in Port Elizabeth, Bequia, from November to April - the peak sailing season. By virtue of limited funds I am strictly a non-marina type but have long standing arrangements with trusted local guys who look after the boat during my absenses. There are now several marinas/yards in Grenada where a boat may be safely based and left in good hands. Two are: www.grenadamarine.com and www.clarkescourtbaymarina.com. Further up the chain you really need to get to St.Lucia before you find significant marina/yard activity in places like Rodney Bay.
In between member weeks, Jack Dusty usually has the odd period of 7 or 10 days when I'm free to show fellow sailors something of the area for what amounts to anti-foul money. I seek to fill such pocket money gaps by word of mouth only. I'll be happy to answer your questions although this Forum system gets me confused sometimes since I am not at home with computers. You could try direct email to latlongus@yahoo.com if you wished. I'm leaving UK to go out to the boat on Nov 9. All best, Malcolm.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:54   #11

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Thanks for getting back to me, Malcolm. We were in the area for 2 years, so I am surprised we didn't meet. We spent time with John of Sea Witch, at Hog Island during our stay in the area, and he showed us around (John and his wife tend to show people more than they expect. Interesting local characters).

I have been to Clarks Court by water just for a look-see, and have heard good things about the St. Davids area but have not visited. We kept the boat at Peakes, Chagauramas.

We'll be back in the area in 2008, and will look you up. Pleasant sailing this year.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini