Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 08:31   #1

Gemini?

I have a friend who is contemplating buying a very late model version of this boat. Anyone have any experience with them in terms of how well they handle, hold up, etc.?
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 13:51   #2
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
you'll probably get a lot more info if you go check this out:

Gemini_Cats : Gemini Catamarans
Old 10-02-2010, 14:33   #3

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Gemini catamarans

Most owners express very positive feelings about them. We were on a Gemini 105 for almost 2 hours at the Annapolis Sailboat Show in 2006 and seriously considered it.

While it is intended as a "coastal cruiser" Performance Cruising owner Tony Smith and son sailed a 105 across the Atlantic a few years ago. Video is here: Gemini 105Mc - Transatlantic Voyage on Vimeo I also think it is on the Gemini web site: Performance Cruising | Gemini 105Mc Cruising Catamarans for Sale | Telstar 28 Trimarans for Sale

A young couple from Canada has posted their travels, with a goal to sail their Gemini 105 around the world: Around the world on SLAPDASH

You will probably find some discussion about Gemini catamarans in the forums at Multihulls4us Forums - Powered by vBulletin though sometimes comments are by people who do not own a Gemini or have first-hand experience with them.

Marshall
Old 10-02-2010, 19:03   #4
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
To answer your question about how they hold up, visit some boat yards and look at some older 105's before your friend pulls the trigger.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 19:25   #5

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
There is quite a thread on our own forum here about the Gemini. I love the shallow draft capability, but have heard that the low bridge clearance can be a real problem. I have also heard that the sail drive is very vulnerable and often has problems. Make sure to read some of the previous posts on this forum.
Spencer
Old 11-02-2010, 02:37   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Read the posts with one thing in mind....How much time has the poster actually spent living on a Gemini. I am finding very few negative posts by people who own the boats. LOTS of negative posts by people who have never owned one.

wonder why that is?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:46   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I am finding very few negative posts by people who own the boats. LOTS of negative posts by people who have never owned one.
wonder why that is?
Not unique to Geminis. Its a halo effect - very few owners buy a boat and hate it. They usually buy it cause it fitted their idea of the compromise. Equally those that don't buy a brand don't want to admit they should have. By and large anyway.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:18   #8

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
S/V Footprint has crossed the Altantic too. The entertaining blog can be seen here SV Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
Most owners express very positive feelings about them. We were on a Gemini 105 for almost 2 hours at the Annapolis Sailboat Show in 2006 and seriously considered it.

While it is intended as a "coastal cruiser" Performance Cruising owner Tony Smith and son sailed a 105 across the Atlantic a few years ago. Video is here: Gemini 105Mc - Transatlantic Voyage on Vimeo I also think it is on the Gemini web site: Performance Cruising | Gemini 105Mc Cruising Catamarans for Sale | Telstar 28 Trimarans for Sale

A young couple from Canada has posted their travels, with a goal to sail their Gemini 105 around the world: Around the world on SLAPDASH

You will probably find some discussion about Gemini catamarans in the forums at Multihulls4us Forums - Powered by vBulletin though sometimes comments are by people who do not own a Gemini or have first-hand experience with them.

Marshall
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Since Geminis are built to a price point by a genius at manufacturing boats, they have always been the least expensive cat in this size range. That means that anyone who owns another brand will be told he paid too much, and he will go to great length to explain his superior judgment. I'm in that category.

Those that buy a Gemini do so with their eyes wide open, and have made a conscious decision that price matters more than bragging rights. They are uniformly content with their decision.

So many Geminis have been sold that there is a definite rate of depreciation, so you know what a fair price is for any one you look at, and what you can get for it later. That cannot be said for any other catamaran.

Performance is brisk. A Gemini will go to weather better than any other cat that doesn't have dagger boards, which are a PITA.

Every new cat buyer has secret dreams of sailing off to Bora Bora. One in 10 gets down the coast and out to the islands. One in a thousand crosses an ocean.

With this one exception, nobody buys their last boat first, unless they get something way out of their league. They don't come back. Gemini sailors tend to keep their boats quite a while unless they learn that cruising is not for them. Some Gemini owners buy new Geminis!

So if you are not impressed by haughty opinions, and can swallow the idea that you should be looking for a battleship instead of a cruiser, you will be very happy with a Gemini, and you can laugh at purists like me all the way to the bank!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:39   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
I have a friend who is contemplating buying a very late model version of this boat. Anyone have any experience with them in terms of how well they handle, hold up, etc.?

They handle fine.

There are some pretty old Gemin's out there.

They have issues like all other boats. Most private sites will not allow one to enter unless one is an owner so the nitty gritty is not known. The thread of the Mahe 36 here is revealing to that extent.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:46   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Daniel, I had a Gemini 1984...I think, or it was an '81...hmm lets just say it was made in the 80's, I have owned quite a few boats and get the years mixed up!!
Anyways, I only lived aboard it for 8 months. The quality is similar to a catalina, good overall quality but I'd beef up areas before taking her cruising (coastal or near offshore).
Hope that helps,
Erika
Old 11-02-2010, 20:48   #12

Thanks everyone. This family is going to cruise Long Island Sound pretty much exclusively, weekending and the occasional week long vacation, so I'm sure the boat can handle that. And if they end up buying her, I'll report back on how she manages for a little offshore run, as I'm sure I'll be helping him bring the boat home.
Old 11-02-2010, 20:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Read the posts with one thing in mind....How much time has the poster actually spent living on a Gemini. I am finding very few negative posts by people who own the boats. LOTS of negative posts by people who have never owned one.

wonder why that is?
I think this is a common, albeit odd, phenomenon. People who own any given brand of boat almost uniformly rave about them, irrationally ignoring the negatives. Likewise, those that don't own a given brand, particularly the more contemporary volume manufacturers, rip them to shreds without virtually any first-hand experience. Just the way of the Internet sailing board world I guess.
Old 13-03-2013, 23:51   #14

Re: Gemini?

I have a 1996 Gemini 105 M. I am in the process of doing some work on it, scrapping bottom paint, changing the centerboards, installing new motor mounts, painting the bottom, varnishing all interior wood etc. I am posting pictures and descriptions of the project at: About Time Sailing - www.about-time-sailing.com
Hopefully some of you can profit by my experience and mistakes. All feedback is welcome
CaptNery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 16:32   #15

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Gemini?

There are some very recent significant changes in the Gemini line. If it is the newest style, there are very few people with practical knowledge
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini