Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 12:11   #1

Furlboom

Does anyone have one or is anyone familiar with them.Looking for the pros and cons.
dcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 13:45   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: FURLBOOM

The Fboats have them and my experience was they worked well on the C31 on day sails in light and moderate winds. My guess is that at some point a boat would be too big for them to be practical.

What boat are you considering using them on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:37   #3

Looking at a 38' cross that has one , don't know anything about them but seems like an easy way to reef. Could be disastrous to have a malfunction and not be able to roll it up.
Old 24-01-2015, 15:13   #4

I had a profurl unit on a previous monohull. When it worked, it was great. When it didn't.....

Main problem is precisely lining up the bolt rope in the luff with the track on the mast. This is not easy. Raising the main was the bigger problem. Getting it down was less of an issue. I never sailed it with a reef. But I always wondered how good the reef would be without an outhaul,to tension the foot of the sail (when partially rolled).

Hard to say exactly but I'd sat it worked as it should about 60% of the time. Lazy jacks seem easier and more reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 15:17   #5

I should add that the boat size was 49'. For a 31' boat, the main should be much easier to handle. I'd be inclined not to go with a boom furler. You will get a better main shape (full roach) and more reliable system.

HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 15:22   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Furlboom

There are two basic forms for this type of device. Back in the 1970's there were rotating booms that wrapped the sails around the outside circumference of the booms. These proved to be troublesome and did not form a good sail shape. In the late 1980's and -90's There were U-shaped booms that had an interior spindle that furled the sails. These seemed to perform much better.
Old 24-01-2015, 17:19   #7

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

As the OP, was your query about boom furling generally or Furlboom specifically?

stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 18:29   #8

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
There are two basic forms for this type of device. Back in the 1970's there were rotating booms that wrapped the sails around the outside circumference of the booms. These proved to be troublesome and did not form a good sail shape. In the late 1980's and -90's There were U-shaped booms that had an interior spindle that furled the sails. These seemed to perform much better.
I have a old geared roller furler and found it to work well but slowly. The trick is to have the boom section smaller or relieved near the tack so the luff rope has extra room winding up. I switched to 2 slab reefs but use the roller if I need to go smaller.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 02:22   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-132743.html

Love it.

DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 08:45   #10

Went to the furl boom website , looks like a nice set up. Should have went there before asking a bunch of dumb questions, but still would like to hear from FURLBOOM owners.
Old 25-01-2015, 10:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamp View Post
Went to the furl boom website , looks like a nice set up. Should have went there before asking a bunch of dumb questions, but still would like to hear from FURLBOOM owners.
My earlier response was to the generic differences in boom furling. I had not seen this brand, "Furlboom", but after looking at the site I see that is of the second type with the spindle within the boom casing. This is the design that seems to be most favorable.
Old 26-01-2015, 13:20   #12

I'll keep my roller furler, a sail wrapped around the boom can still be unwrapped or wrapped by hand if there ever was a gear problem while one inside the boom is a bit more of a challenge in a gear failure and has more chance to jam...
Old 27-01-2015, 08:26   #13

Your first concerns for a cat with a furling boom is your rig shape. Furling booms like no rake or canter in the mast. Which is why you see so few on cats. Great for a mono cruising boat.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 09:37   #14

I haven't used a furlboom but my tri has the designed 4 1/2 degrees of rake in the mast and the roller furling works fine. Much more common way back when, it is a well built antique.
Old 27-01-2015, 13:27   #15

Roller furling in mast is a different animal than furling boom. Roller furling in mast is loose fitted along boom. Does not work the other direction. ......

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote