Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 23:32   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Re: FP's new 47 Saona catamaran

Saona 47 with optional carbon mast and improved spec sails in action.

Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 03:51   #92

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Does anyone know how much performance would be gained by having the carbon mast option?
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 04:16   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
FP's new 47 Saona catamaran

It only means something for those that quest speed. When you are retired and not so focused on time, you elect to cruise on weather patterns? From what I was told, this boat, fitted with cruising options, mixed it with the mixed fleet on test sails after last years La Grande Motte boat show, out sailed the new Catana and Lagoons. The Outremer 45 with half the number on board and quite light, out sailed her by a knot or so. This is one very comfortable and safe cruising catamaran.
Again it may comes down to the sails you choose, how you manage and set up your cruising boat and the conditions and sea state...
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 05:57   #94

Boat: Leopard 39

Too much teak! Looks like Tugboat Annie when it silvers to gray, takes effort to keep bristol.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 10:51   #95

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Pretty much only benefit of carbon mast on a cat is wright savings. Effect on stability is m8nimal, unlike a monohull.

Downside is insurance. Probably a big bump in premiuns.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 14:02   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Pretty much only benefit of carbon mast on a cat is wright savings. Effect on stability is m8nimal, unlike a monohull.

Downside is insurance. Probably a big bump in premiuns.
So what you're saying is that the weight saving is to minimal as to have virtually no effect?
Old 13-08-2017, 15:02   #97

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Heath68, yes. On a monohull carbon mast has two advantages. Overall weight and weight up high.

The overall weight savings is less important on a keel boat than a cat. Weight up high affects righting moment which is main determine on how stiff a boat is (how easily it heels). Stiffer boats don't have to reef as early / can carry more sail area.

Since cats don't heel righting moment is less important, but the weight savings is a larger percentage of overall weight. Exception would be racing cats that do heel more.

Carbon is much more reliable than it used to be, but still way more expensive hence higher insurance premiums.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 16:35   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
It only means something for those that quest speed. When you are retired and not so focused on time, you elect to cruise on weather patterns? From what I was told, this boat, fitted with cruising options, mixed it with the mixed fleet on test sails after last years La Grande Motte boat show, out sailed the new Catana and Lagoons. The Outremer 45 with half the number on board and quite light, out sailed her by a knot or so. This is one very comfortable and safe cruising catamaran.
Again it may comes down to the sails you choose, how you manage and set up your cruising boat and the conditions and sea state...
That's exciting news. I have to admit, when I saw the 17 knots listed in the video, I rolled my eyes (I'm guessing that's with expert sailors on a very aggressive sail plan for those wind conditions that I would never attempt cruising in the real world), but I was really hoping she edged a little more to performance over comfort that the other FPs. If she could cruise low teens, I'd be ecstatic. I know she's light, but she does have wider hulls than those boats listed.

FYI, I'm hearing that with the engines, genny, and platform all back there, she's a little back heavy, but I think it won't matter the majority of the time.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:32   #99

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

I reviewing the Saona options list, I note they now offer a Yanmar option

AJH80C - 80HP - $21,305.66
4JH57C - 57HP - $14,913.01

I hadn't noticed this before. If I'm reading it right, the costs "appear" to be an upcharge from 50HP the Volvos.

I also understand there is an option to delete the galley island to enable enough space for a full sized dining table (or split table option) in the saloon.

Our short list in down to the L450S and Saona - Chartering a 450S in BVI next week (although an orange X off Cabo Verde may interfere with our plans) and am looking forward to getting aboard a Saona in Annapolis.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:08   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post

I hadn't noticed this before. If I'm reading it right, the costs "appear" to be an upcharge from 50HP the Volvos.
While the 57HP is naturally aspirated, the 80HP is forced induction. I don't have any experience with those. It seems like a case of "one more thing to go wrong," but that's a lot more power for just 20lbs more weight. Does anyone know if supercharged engines tend to have more frequent or expensive maintenance?
Old 14-08-2017, 23:24   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post

I also understand there is an option to delete the galley island to enable enough space for a full sized dining table (or split table option) in the saloon.

Our short list in down to the L450S and Saona - Chartering a 450S in BVI next week (although an orange X off Cabo Verde may interfere with our plans) and am looking forward to getting aboard a Saona in Annapolis.
Are they saying it's an extra $14k for an upgrade on engines? I tried to look this up but that figure (to a novice like me) looks like the cost of a engine complete.. or am I misguided?
Old 14-08-2017, 23:28   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Heath68, yes. On a monohull carbon mast has two advantages. Overall weight and weight up high.

The overall weight savings is less important on a keel boat than a cat. Weight up high affects righting moment which is main determine on how stiff a boat is (how easily it heels). Stiffer boats don't have to reef as early / can carry more sail area.

Since cats don't heel righting moment is less important, but the weight savings is a larger percentage of overall weight. Exception would be racing cats that do heel more.

Carbon is much more reliable than it used to be, but still way more expensive hence higher insurance premiums.
Thanks for that... But in terms of knots on an identical boat would you notice it? Or would it just allow you to sail better?
Old 16-10-2017, 04:17   #103

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Are they saying it's an extra $14k for an upgrade on engines? I tried to look this up but that figure (to a novice like me) looks like the cost of a engine complete.. or am I misguided?
Yes, I confirmed it’s an additional cost !?! (The same applies on the Saba.) My guess is they build very few Yanmar equipped boats.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 07:28   #104

Hello has anyone seen the quintet version of the saona. Interested in family cruising and am unable to find any photos on the bunk cabin other than the layout config photos from FP. Thanks
dschwindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 19:52   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwindt View Post
Hello has anyone seen the quintet version of the saona. Interested in family cruising and am unable to find any photos on the bunk cabin other than the layout config photos from FP. Thanks
Here's a shot of the bunk cabin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saona bunk.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	162691  

Tags
catamaran