Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2008, 12:24   #46

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
I never got a chance to sail my boat before tearing it apart but the PO claimed a top speed of 18.5 knots. When I asked about his average cruising speeds he said 7 knots if sailing comfortably, 9 knots with a little higher anxiety level. This is a relatively beamy, lightweight boat (PO claimed 7 tons but doing hydrostatics on Rhino looks more like 10 tons), LWL 45', hull/BWL about 8.5:1, 75m2 main, 45m2 genny, daggerboards, fixed props.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 19:59   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macca View Post
I’ve seen 16.5 knots on my 45 foot Leopard cat, coming down a Pacific swell with a bit too much genoa and 35-odd knots of wind at about 130 degrees.
You got me - hook, line and sinker.

I'm not currently a cat owner but have begun to formulate a plan to acquire one and the Leopard 47 is at the top of my list right now. First off, I care about speed but 9.5K is plenty for my needs.

While cruising is an admirable pastime and luxury is a must, my primary activity (besides keeping the wife in pina coladas and margaritas) will be trolling for marlin and sailfish. Yea, I've already heard it, why a catamaran? Because I don't want to lay out $10grand to fill up a Viking and I have this tenancy to play outside the lines. I'm not really an environmentalist but I could do without the incessant drone of a couple 1,200 HP diesels all day.

Here's my question; On an average day in the Sea of Cortez (where this fantasy takes place) with winds in the 15MPH range and sailing on reach, what kind of reasonable speeds can I expect? How about down to 10K winds?

If I can't crank along at 9K trolling artificials, I always have the option to troll live and dead baits that work well between 3K to 6K. There is some flexibility here but ideally, I'd like to troll the artificials fast to cover more water. I've also heard from the folks at Moorings that in a pinch, the motors on these things can propel them along in the 8K range.

What are your experiences?
billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 00:03   #48
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
You got me - hook, line and sinker.

I'm not currently a cat owner but have begun to formulate a plan to acquire one and the Leopard 47 is at the top of my list right now. First off, I care about speed but 9.5K is plenty for my needs.

While cruising is an admirable pastime and luxury is a must, my primary activity (besides keeping the wife in pina coladas and margaritas) will be trolling for marlin and sailfish. Yea, I've already heard it, why a catamaran? Because I don't want to lay out $10grand to fill up a Viking and I have this tenancy to play outside the lines. I'm not really an environmentalist but I could do without the incessant drone of a couple 1,200 HP diesels all day.

Here's my question; On an average day in the Sea of Cortez (where this fantasy takes place) with winds in the 15MPH range and sailing on reach, what kind of reasonable speeds can I expect? How about down to 10K winds?

If I can't crank along at 9K trolling artificials, I always have the option to troll live and dead baits that work well between 3K to 6K. There is some flexibility here but ideally, I'd like to troll the artificials fast to cover more water. I've also heard from the folks at Moorings that in a pinch, the motors on these things can propel them along in the 8K range.

What are your experiences?
With a leopard you can expect between 40 and 50 % of wind speed with the genoa and mainsail , using the gennaker will give you 50 to 60 % of wind speed. Not very fast but fast enough for fishing.

Greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 06:24   #49

Boat: FP Tobago 35
You could also motor-sail, to keep up your speed. There are some neat folding props that have a second "gear" with a larger pitch that lets you motorsail at lower revs, saving fuel and lowering the noise level.

You could use a couple of those lightweight telescopic spinnaker poles and rig them up as outriggers.

Just make sure that you can move around the back of the boat easily, no davits, biminis, etc. in the way. It is easy to rig some lifelines on the transoms for the gaff guy or for tagging and releasing the fish.

Let us know how things work out..

Cheers

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 06:59   #50
cruiser

It has been done at least once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
You could also motor-sail, to keep up your speed. There are some neat folding props that have a second "gear" with a larger pitch that lets you motorsail at lower revs, saving fuel and lowering the noise level.

You could use a couple of those lightweight telescopic spinnaker poles and rig them up as outriggers.

Just make sure that you can move around the back of the boat easily, no davits, biminis, etc. in the way. It is easy to rig some lifelines on the transoms for the gaff guy or for tagging and releasing the fish.

Let us know how things work out..

Cheers

Alan
Somewhere online I once saw a design of a sailing catamaran set up for big game fishing, with a chair mounted aft on the bridgedeck-
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 07:49   #51

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Somewhere online I once saw a design of a sailing catamaran set up for big game fishing, with a chair mounted aft on the bridgedeck-
Probably here
http://www.runningtideyachts.com/home/

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 11:13   #52

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
We had a day out on this one in Bora Bora a few years ago:-
Taravana Catamaran Floor Plan and Features : Island Charters on Bora bora : Tahiti Sun Travel
It was set up with outriggers and everything, I think its a lock Crowther design.

Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 11:41   #53

Fast Cruisingcatamarans? How fast?

Back to topic...
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 12:02   #54

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Fast Cruisingcatamarans? How fast?

Back to topic...
Ok, back to your topic.
Most of the speeds you have been quoted above are top speeds achieved surfing or pushing the envelope. The majority of the posters here are cruisers (hence the name of the forum) and by definition are looking to get from A to B safely and in a reasonable amount of time. With this in mind I feel there is nothing to be gained from your question only how far anyone is willing to push their pride and joy. I think you will find very similar results from FP's, Lagoon, Privilege, Leopard etc,etc that if the owner is willing to push the boundries and leave all the sail possible up in 30 knots of wind they will come out with very similar results. Your question would be much more relevant if you asked what everyones fastest speed is in 10knots of wind.
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 12:14   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
Ok, back to your topic.
Most of the speeds you have been quoted above are top speeds achieved surfing or pushing the envelope. The majority of the posters here are cruisers (hence the name of the forum) and by definition are looking to get from A to B safely and in a reasonable amount of time. With this in mind I feel there is nothing to be gained from your question only how far anyone is willing to push their pride and joy. I think you will find very similar results from FP's, Lagoon, Privilege, Leopard etc,etc that if the owner is willing to push the boundries and leave all the sail possible up in 30 knots of wind they will come out with very similar results. Your question would be much more relevant if you asked what everyones fastest speed is in 10knots of wind.
Adaero
I totally agree with Adaero, in 10knots and also 15knots and 20knots as a maximum at which point I would think most cruisers would start to consider putting a reef in.
This would show the differences between a comforable cruising cat and a cruiser/racer where the living side becomes less favourable.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 12:24   #56
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
Ok, back to your topic.
Most of the speeds you have been quoted above are top speeds achieved surfing or pushing the envelope. The majority of the posters here are cruisers (hence the name of the forum) and by definition are looking to get from A to B safely and in a reasonable amount of time. With this in mind I feel there is nothing to be gained from your question only how far anyone is willing to push their pride and joy....
Adaero makes a good point.

I've seen 11.5 kts on my 32' LWL, 13.2' beam monohull. But it was surfing down a 24' Atlantic swell with 40 kts on the quarter. That doesn't tell me anything, other than the boat can do it, if only for a few seconds.
Old 31-07-2008, 12:43   #57
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think it's a fair question to ask. We are all, or at least most of us trying to figure out this whole sailing thing, and if you are interested in a cat. It is truly a legitmate question. Even to just fulfill your curiosity.

We all have to admit it was fun going fast even if we were a little anxious......
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 13:01   #58

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Or you can buy this Sport Fishing cat designed for fishing.

57' CROWTHER/ALWOPLAST SAIL SPORT-FISHING CATAMARAN

ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 13:03   #59
jzk

Gunboat 62:

Lickety Split got its hat handed to it. Look at all of the other catamarans that simply blew its doors off. How embarrassing. I took this shot of her about an hour after the start.

jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 13:31   #60

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Going fast and going fast feeling safe and secure and two different things. Just like driving a Jeep at 100 mph compared to driving a Porsche at the same speed. A sailboat design and performance is no different. Are you going fast because your screaming down a huge wave at hull speed, holding on for dear life; or are you going fast because the boat was built and set up to fast safely. Two different things. Some sailboats are comfortable at 6 to 7 knots and other are just as comfortable at 10 to 12 knots with proper hull and bridge deck clearance design. Just different designs.

Independent of all the calculations of SA/D, L/B, etc; I always like to hear what the owner of a boat says about performance. A few quotes from owners of Chris Whites Atlantics as examples:

Quote:
We saw some wild weather after leaving Canada, a ship clocked an official 82 knots of wind one night. Great White rode the storms extremely well, great job on that hull shape. She climbed back up and out of troughs that looked like they would just swallow us. We had waves picking us up by the floor when running with a storm around the Gaspe' peninsula and just burying the front beam into the sea in what should have been a real scary point of sail but those upswept bows just kept coming back up. Dynamic sailing though, 25+ knots at times! -- Mark McGreggor, co-owner/builder of the A-46 "Great White"

After 9000 miles of sailing the Atlantic 46, the characteristics that most impress me are how fast and comfortable the boat is at sea. The forward cockpit/aft pilothouse layout, slender hull shape, and powerful rig make a wonderful combination. The pilothouse offers great protection from the elements and excellent visibility. The boat is responsive and a joy to sail between 13 and 20 knots of hull speed. This design helps make sailing fun and safe. -- Stewart Volpe owner/builder of the A-46 "Barn Cat"

My rational mind knows she's the ultimate cruising cat. She's always comfortable. At sea the pilothouse is no nonsense and professional. She's easy to singlehand. She sails great and there's more. But the more important truth is - even after 10,000 miles - I still love the way she looks."

Or from Linda, "Her galley is nicer than some of our kitchens." -- Doug and Linda Keeth, owners Atlantic 46 Mk2, "Scout"

"Beyond all the normal reasons to have a catamaran (room, flat platform, comfort and livability, speed), Bearcat's pilot house makes me wonder why anyone would have anything else, given the choice. The ability to be fully enclosed and underway in a storm, on a cold night, or when it's mealtime is not to be underestimated, and it happens a lot. Overall I guess we do around 75% of the steering from inside, and the visibility is great. Family life centers there, and many a day has been passed with one of us steering while helping the kids with school or art projects. I laughed a few months ago when during one passage in the Bahamas that saw us on a very close reach at around 9 knots, and Kelsey was doing water colors at the pilothouse table, asking me for comments while I steered. It's a good life.
"
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising