Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2022, 08:29   #421

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Fast Cruising Catamarans - How Fast ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
From my experience not true. Your performance will suffer but will still be better than the fat hulled sisters. Also depends on how much you “have to” carry?

My cat is by no means a performance cat, yet I've outrun a Catana going to windward in moderate winds. The Catana was loaded to spend several months in the Bahamas as was mine. The effect of the weight had a much greater effect on his boat than mine. Catanas are pretty much the definition of long light skinny hulls at least in the cruising cat world.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 08:37   #422
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
My cat is by no means a performance cat, yet I've outrun a Catana going to windward in moderate winds. The Catana was loaded to spend several months in the Bahamas as was mine. The effect of the weight had a much greater effect on his boat than mine. Catanas are pretty much the definition of long light skinny hulls at least in the cruising cat world.

I personally wouldn’t place the newer Catana’s under the “performance” category, though they do sail well.
We were on a broad reach in about 8kts of wind with full main and 110% jib. We passed a Lagoon 380 with full main and spinnaker, probably making 2+ kts better speed than they. We were fully loaded with water fuel and enough food for probably 1.5 months.
Same thing with a Leopard 46, they had full sail up and we had a double reefed main and 110% jib, passed them easily.
Does that make our cat better than there’s? It sails better but I’m sure they enjoy much more creature comforts than us, so like comparing apples and oranges.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 08:58   #423

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

Again, which Catana, they have gone through many reincarnations and in my experience they are not particularly light boats. A friend was shocked when his 431 weighed in at 13 tonnes.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 03:20   #424

Quote:
Catanas are pretty much the definition of long light skinny hulls at least in the cruising cat world.
Not really; I’d have to give that accord to, say, the Danson Outremers, f.ex

But saying ‘I outran one boat at one instance’ and then generalizing, isn’t a statement with much basis, really. Many years In racing taught me that a poor sailor can’t make even a fast boat go
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 03:46   #425
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
In a cruising Cat? Maybe if you are cruising from Marina to Marina and eating at restaurants every night, but if you are cruising to out of the way places and need to carry provisions and spares you are no longer going to have a performance cat.
What liking cruising from France to corsica - Sardinia, Sicily Malta? Like we did earlier this year and averaged 85% of wind speed almost everywhere?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 03:47   #426
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
snip...... Catanas are pretty much the definition of long light skinny hulls at least in the cruising cat world.
Yeah Nah. Depends on the Catana, as indicated the later ones were as heavy as many charter cats.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 04:54   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post
I am always surprised by the "speed" of the major production catamarans. I cannot understand why they are slow. I know they are built to a price, so deck gear and sails are usually poor, but their designers and builders are often world class.

Before using my 32ft catamaran Eclipse as a live aboard ocean cruiser for 5 years - sailing from the UK to the Caribbean and beyond, I sailed it hard in races. My fastest speed was 21 knots, but my proudest moment was overtaking Mumm 30's to windward in the 2002 Round the Island race. In this 50 mile race we beat the first French cruising catamaran (a Belize) by over an hour, and kept in contact with several Farrier and Dragonfly trimarans.

Later when loaded and ocean cruising we often did speeds in the mid teens and once beat a cruising Outremer 44 over a nine hour sail. Earlier we had been beaten by an empty one, which shows that long fine hulls are not really suitable as ocean cruisers. Too small inside, too little load carrying.

Having said all that, although I agree you need to push hard sometimes, just to see where a boats limits are, I posted elsewhere about real cruising speeds and the need to slow down.

You can see more about my Eclipse cruising experiences on my website

Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans

Richard Woods of Woods Designs
I had Richards design 36ft Kat Man going into a cold front at 15 knots with those solid wood daggers down . It sounded like being inside a drum with those slab sides --whew. I prefer 8 knots.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 08:29   #428
smj

Great video showing the advantages of performance in light airs.

Old 19-11-2022, 10:18   #429

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Great video showing the advantages of performance in light airs.
Nothing like a 68' waterline to help out a bit.
Old 19-11-2022, 10:22   #430
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Nothing like a 68' waterline to help out a bit.

I wonder if this 76’ of waterline has a chance of keeping up? [emoji23]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6712.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	267691
Old 19-11-2022, 10:48   #431

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
From my experience not true. Your performance will suffer but will still be better than the fat hulled sisters. Also depends on how much you “have to” carry?
I agree.

We're living aboard full time, and cruising from Canada to the Bahamas, back and forth every year. We're still finishing the boat, so we still have rolls of glass, gallons of epoxy, gallons of paint, and many pounds of parts aboard. She's heavier than I'd like, but still pretty fast, as compared to most of the other cats we've come across.

We're still sailing at 11-14 knots in 12-20 knots of wind, just aft of the beam (100-125 TWA, yesterday), and up to 17 yesterday on a surf. So far, we've only been passed by power boats, and a large fast cat named "Hammer". We even pass many motorsailing Catamarans in 10-12 knots of wind.

So, in my experience, a fully loaded "fast" boat is still faster than a fully loaded, or mostly loaded, "not so fast" boat. And more comfortable too, without the hobbyhorsing we've seen on many production Cats.

But as SMJ said, the creature comforts on a production cat are certainly better than what we have aboard. Elbow room in the hulls is also much better in a production cat. In a smooth anchorage, they definitely have the edge. In a rough anchorage, we seem to be more stable. In a rough sea, we're certainly more stable.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
cruising