Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 08:54   #31

Re: Endeavourcat 30 New owner

CapnBazza, how did the survey go? Were there any major issues the I should be on the look out for as I look at potential Endeavors?
Fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:58   #32

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy View Post
CapnBazza, how did the survey go? Were there any major issues the I should be on the look out for as I look at potential Endeavors?
The survey went as you would expect with a boat built in 1992. There is some wear and tear. We are replacing the sails, the boom brake attachment to the boom looks like it could break the next time we gybe, the rudder shafts could use new bushes, the seals for the fuel and motor control cables and the hydraulic pod need replacing, there is some minor damage to the rudders - may have wrapped the anchor chain on a changing tide. The anchor winch will be replaced and a bigger anchor fitted. The davits/solar panel structure is disintegrating and will be replaced. We purchased Purrfect for what we consider a reasonable price considering we’ll spend about AUD$20k to upgrade her and carry out necessary repairs. Something more difficult to address will be the delaminating plywood used for the internal structure. We have just sold a boat that was 7 years older, built in New Zealand with obviously superior plywood.
Today I played around for awhile under motor to see how she handles berthing in a marine. I probably fluked it but it went Purrfect!
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:41   #33

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

If you do swap motors make sure your new one is the high thrust version. It will have a different prop and different gearing I think. Honda makes a 20hp version but Yamaha has a 25.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:40   #34

CapnBazza, sounds like you'er going to have a blast. Hope to be doing some of the same once I can locate a suitable Endeavor30 myself. Keep up the posts as you progress through the deficiencies list, love to see all the progress. Pics too!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:58   #35

Rooster2b8 do you feel your Endeavor is a suitable size for sailing in the Bahamas?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:48   #36

Whats the performance and other difference from the original endeavourcat 30
to the MK II model?
oceanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 15:44   #37

CapnBazza, what is the width in inches of the mattresses?
Old 11-04-2019, 15:55   #38

Quote:
CapnBazza, what is the width in inches of the mattresses?
The mattresses are 55” wide x 75” long, tapering a bit at the bottom. Height of the beds off the cabin sole is about 21”. I am constructing a step in front to make getting in and out easier.
Old 18-04-2019, 06:04   #39

We sailed Bahamas last winter and Keys this year. It’s a capable boat that surfs like crazy. Open anchorages and white caps can cause some slap but we always tucked up close on windy days.
Rooster2b8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 06:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
If you do swap motors make sure your new one is the high thrust version. It will have a different prop and different gearing I think. Honda makes a 20hp version but Yamaha has a 25.
We have decided. To change over to a high thrust 25hp Yamaha will cost close to AUD$4000 and save about 30kg in weight. There are too many other things we could spend that money on, besides more wine that is, so we will motor on with our 60 horses.
Old 18-04-2019, 08:43   #41

Boat: Whitby 42

I'm a little late to this discussion, but we owned a mid 90s Endeavourcat 30 for about two months. Beautifully built boat but we could not get used to the constant wave slap under the bridge deck. I cannot imagine sailing one across the Pacific. Ours was somewhat unique in that it had a small Yanmar driving a hydraulic pump which in turn powered a hydraulic motor in each hull. Very clean design.
Wishing you the best,
Bob
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 09:00   #42

We’ve spent two seasons on ours and only seem to get some wave slap in large chop open anchorages. It’s not a game changer, just makes you a little more aware of your anchoring choices. With 3’ draft it has never been a real issue since we usually hole up in protected anchorages mono hauls can only dream about. I don’t recall it being any worse then my Triton 28. It’s not fun going head on into any seas but there aren’t many boats that are. Once past 30-40 degrees there aren’t any issues. It also is a great surfer. Our biggest issue was weight our first season. We stocked the boat for the Apocalypse and headed to the Bahamas. The good news is it was mostly beer and other libations creating the extra weight. So it was much lighter on the return trip.

Our motor is disconnected from the rudders and is turned with a small wheel starboard side of the captains chair. It’s not used except in the tightest turning situations or counteract a side current when motoring. Either way it saves immensely on the autopilot draw. The boat can easily turn within its own length. A little reverse thrust then forward hard turn and it spins like a top.
Rooster2b8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 15:19   #43

We think we have enough gas (petrol) jerry cans for its crossing of the Pacific, about fourteen 5 or 6 gallon ones to be precise. The main tank appears to hold about 14 gallon (54L) and we are keeping the Yamaha 60T high thrust outboard. Does anybody have a good guesstimate about the fuel consumption of a heavily loaded, going cruising, live aboard Endeavourcat30?
Old 23-04-2019, 15:28   #44

Where would you store 14 jerry cans of fuel on this boat? There'd be nowhere to move... lol
Old 23-04-2019, 15:36   #45

Quote:
Where would you store 14 jerry cans of fuel on this boat? There'd be nowhere to move... lol
Port forward locker, it’s a three dimensional jig saw puzzle.

Tags
endeavour