Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2010, 14:43   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Duh!!! Guess next time I'll look at the OP date.

oops!!
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 16:17   #17

Boat: in between
Re: Endeavour Catamarans

For the record, I'm reading up on this in 2014 (the future!) and I very much appreciate the insights!

Aloha!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:53   #18

2007-2008 I crossed the pacific on my Endeavour cat 30.
2013 on my 2nd adventure I met an Endeavour cat 30 in San Blas Panama. They had sailed it from Maine.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26   #19

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I have a 36. I also have Kanter's book, Cruising Catamaran Communique, the later version of the book mentioned above. Nowhere in this book does he mention delamination in EndeavourCats. I bought it because of the post in this thread, as I was looking closely at these boats.

There is a blog you can find if you search hard enough that mentions delamination problems in a 36' trawlercat. I had my surveyor check that bridgedeck area carefully before buying my boat. No problems found in my boat, but of course the trawlercat owner had often pushed his boat into chop at twice the speed my sailboat is capable of. So I will always keep an eye on that.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:47   #20

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

A 30 crossed from panama to French Polynesia then down to Australia so they apparently survive offshore ok. As for bridgedeck delam I've seen it in a PDQ 36 also. Could be a interal waterleak or who knows.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 18:42   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
A 30 crossed from panama to French Polynesia then down to Australia so they apparently survive offshore ok. As for bridgedeck delam I've seen it in a PDQ 36 also. Could be a interal waterleak or who knows.

That 30 that went to Oz was done by Andreas.Mehlin who posted three posts back. I followed his blog while he was doing it. It looks like he had a great trip.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:22   #22

Dont know he w I missed Andreas post lol . Long day and too much sun. Or something

Old 02-03-2014, 04:05   #23

What we have found with low bridge deck clearance it is very specific conditions that are a concern.

short steep 2-4' waves going straight into them is uncomfortable.

If it's a swell, it's not an issue as you ride over them.
If they are under 2', it's not an issue.
If they are over 4', you ride over them and it's not a problem.
If you can bear off 20-30 degrees, it typically smooths out.

It's in bays and lakes where we occasionally have an issue. They tend to set up short steep chop and channels often don't give you the option to bear off. It's not a frequent problem but it is something to be aware of.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:31   #24

About bridgedeck slamming...
Endeavourcat 30: Upwind and against wave. Horrible.
Everything else than upwind: very good.

Helios 38 with VERY high clearance. Upwind: Perfect,
Downwind: Most of the time perfect but in rough conditions it can slam very hard
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 22:49   #25

Thanks Captain Bill your 44 post was excellent. Saving these "old" posts do help some of us quite a bit.
I have my short list down to a PDQ 36 or Victory (Endeavor) 35.
Seems that the Victory payload might be better than the PDQ. I can't find any solid information on the Victory payload, PDQ lists 2,000 lbs as design. I realize that too much weight will ruin any performance, but mainly concerned about safety. It has been said in another web site review that even if the PDQ 36 is overloaded by 1,000 lbs it will still perform better than any same length mono-hull....but I'd assume ride would be poor and just might slam it self to death
Both boats are attractive, but you know how stuff just finds it's way on board.
What does your 44 able to carry?
I might consider going up in size if budget improves while searching. All in all I appreciate your comments.
Rich T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 09:39   #26

Boat: in between

We are on an Endeavour 35, in Honolulu and I don't really notice the bridge slamming, other than when motoring upwind, against waves. And that when it's Victory at Sea conditions. I just returned to Honolulu from Moloka'i and it was a smooth sail back, going 5-6 kts with a 17 kt tradewind pushing us from starboard quarter and we had a really big N swell (10+ ft) that we were rolling through nearly abeam of us. She rides very smooth and we are definitely loaded up, with a few small dogs, a cat, and everything we were able to whittle our possessions down to, onboard.

Ride over was in lighter winds right on the nose, and smaller seas, crossed up in the channel. The Yanmar 27 pushes us at over 5 kts, even with our house set up onboard. Plus, trip out we carried two extra crew.
Old 30-01-2015, 10:31   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewishprincess View Post
I don't know how much sailing we will actually do, as I'll still be working as only Bob will be retired. The primary usage of whatever we end up buying will be for living in it and occasionally sailing. I mention the Bahamas because we will be so close. I lived for almost a decade in South Florida and made many a jaunt to the Bahamas via boat. I don't think anyone wants to make that trek unless the water is as smooth as glass.
From what I've seen of Endeavour cats they maybe ideal for retirement. Lots of accommodations, Probably don't sail that well, but what the hell your retired no rush. Pick the weather and the Bahamas shout be doable.

Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:36   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
From what I've seen of Endeavour cats they maybe ideal for retirement. Lots of accommodations, Probably don't sail that well, but what the hell your retired no rush. Pick the weather and the Bahamas shout be doable.

We had a 30, great coastal boat, no 30'boat mono or cat is fun beating into a sea. As for sailing performance she pointed well, and outsailed most monos close to her size. We could squeeze 7.5 on. Reach in 12 knots true wind, surf at 10 knots down following seas, in comparison the sub 38 monos I have been on were dogs. The 36 and 44 ec's probably sail even better,
Goshea this is thread was about endeavour catamanrans not monos. Or did Emdeavour make a ec35 pther than the victorycat?

Old 02-02-2015, 07:59   #29

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "don't sail that well". As cats go the EC44 is definitely a cruising cat, not a high performance cat. It sails comparably to other cruising cats. Two years ago I entered the Georgetown Cruising Regatta Around the Island and In Harbor races in class B multihulls against a FP Venizia 42, Lagoon 41, Lagoon 44, and a Broadblue 42. There were also 2 trimarans. I beat all of the Cats in real time in both races and even beat the tri's on corrected time in the round the Island race. I'm not saying I blew them away, as only 8 minutes real time separated first from last in the 18 mile Round the Island race. I did a bit better against the Cats in the in harbor race but lost to the tri's even in corrected time. Last year some higher performance cats entered and no Lagoons or FPs at all and I came in last. I also cruised with a couple of Mantas for a short time last year and they were a bit faster than we were, but not by a lot. In a 20 mile reach on the same heading the Manta 42 was about a half mile ahead of us at the end and the 40 about 1/4 mile ahead. I actually expected a bigger difference. Perhaps in higher winds the Mantas could have carried more sail longer and had a bigger advantage since they have more beam and a lower CG, but at cruising speeds and moderate winds there wasn't that much difference.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:36   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "don't sail that well". As cats go the EC44 is definitely a cruising cat, not a high performance cat. It sails comparably to other cruising cats. Two years ago I entered the Georgetown Cruising Regatta Around the Island and In Harbor races in class B multihulls against a FP Venizia 42, Lagoon 41, Lagoon 44, and a Broadblue 42. There were also 2 trimarans. I beat all of the Cats in real time in both races and even beat the tri's on corrected time in the round the Island race. I'm not saying I blew them away, as only 8 minutes real time separated first from last in the 18 mile Round the Island race. I did a bit better against the Cats in the in harbor race but lost to the tri's even in corrected time. Last year some higher performance cats entered and no Lagoons or FPs at all and I came in last. I also cruised with a couple of Mantas for a short time last year and they were a bit faster than we were, but not by a lot. In a 20 mile reach on the same heading the Manta 42 was about a half mile ahead of us at the end and the 40 about 1/4 mile ahead. I actually expected a bigger difference. Perhaps in higher winds the Mantas could have carried more sail longer and had a bigger advantage since they have more beam and a lower CG, but at cruising speeds and moderate winds there wasn't that much difference.
Bill,

I was referring more to the sacrifice of bridge deck clearance for a nice usable layout. A great sacrifice given the OP's intentions.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endeavour