Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 07:22   #1

Lagoon 440 Need help with water seepage and smell

Hello there. We purchased a 2005 lagoon 440 a few months ago & since have discovered an area in the port aft bilge area that appears to be seeping water very slowly. We clean it out & it reappears to just sit even with this small circle area in the bilge. It has begun to smell as well of a very strong smell almost like fuel or eggs. Can anyone tell me what this area is that appears to be leaking. It is above the keel so is this a keel bolt? The surveyor we hired said nothing on our report of any damage to this area. The circle area seems to have some sort of glue or resin or epoxy that has softened & has begun to crack away. Thank you.
Catsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38   #2

Re: Lagoon 440 Need help with water seepage and smell

Another pic of the area
Old 09-01-2019, 07:41   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Can you determine if it’s salt or fresh water?
Maybe with a tds meter if you have one? Not sure I’d want to taste it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:06   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

My best guess is that the little area of epoxy covers the leak and the leak is caused by the small screw holes that once held a bilge pump or similar.
Small leaks coming through the hull will often smell.
If I were you, I would remove the epoxy to see if it covers the source of the leak. If there's a small hole there, use a fast setting 60 second epoxy to cover the hole so it stops leaking. A quick clean up of the area and then cover a slightly bigger area with a proper epoxy to make it permanent. Most boats have these annoying leaks but they are seldom anything to worry about.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:36   #5

It appears to be salty but will locate our tds meter to verify. Thank you for the replies & the suggestion that this might be the site of a previous bilge pump. We will do some more investigation of this area but want to make sure we have the fast setting epoxy before we start excavating the epoxy. Will post our findings when we are brave enough to start digging ��
Old 10-01-2019, 03:54   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Lagoon 440 Need help with water seepage and smell

We have the very same cat a 2005/ 440. There are no keel bolts as it’s all one hull mould. I am not sure exactly where it is?
Is this in the aft bedroom?
We get water sometimes in this spot as it seems to be a low point,but I believe it comes from elsewhere, get some chalk and draw a line higher than this point to see if it’s pooling from dripping elsewhere
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:03   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Chalk works, but best thing I have ever found to find minuscule leaks is a powder spray. Like foot powder or maybe dusting with talc or similar.
I’m thinking / hoping maybe it’s a fresh water leak or even condensation, of course that may be wishful thinking.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:22   #8
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Mine is 2006 #125. I do not recognize the area you show, where is it ? You should remove the gangway floor to get a better understanding of how your boat is built.

Two half hulls (lengthwise) are joined together, the keel is part of it. That forms an hollow keel. An inner keel mould is then inserted/glued in there (obviously from the inside) with lots of mastic. That clean white gelcoated inside mould is what you will see when removing the floor.

There could be some water in between the actual hull and inside mould, if the boat was grounded and quickly/badly repaired for example.

Did the expert do some moisture test ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:25   #9

Boat: Privilege 435

Rom, Are you saying that there is no sacrificial keel on these lagoons? Many cats are built by adding the keel onto the mold after it has been made so that in the event of a grounding, the keel can snap off leaving the hull intact.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:44   #10
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Rom, Are you saying that there is no sacrificial keel on these lagoons? Many cats are built by adding the keel onto the mold after it has been made so that in the event of a grounding, the keel can snap off leaving the hull intact.

Yes and please don't ask me how I know so well how it's built ...

The L450 looks a bit different as you cannot see inside the keel. But from the outside it looks to be built pretty much like the L440. So no sacrificial either I guess. Sacrificial keel is quite obvious from the outside when you look at a Bahia46 for example.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:04   #11

Yes this is actually in the aft starboard owners cabin. I said this was the port side but my bad...it is in our starboard cabin in front of the bed.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:41   #12
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsails View Post
Yes this is actually in the aft starboard owners cabin. I said this was the port side but my bad...it is in our starboard cabin in front of the bed.

Sorry for the slight drift but it still doesn't look like mine. Did you remove the start battery ? Can you show us a larger picture ?

Did you have a look inside the keel ? has it been repaired ? Are you aware of any accident on this boat ?

In case it is fresh water I can only think of 3 sources:
- Aft Starboard head (tap especially, turn your fingers around the hoses to check for a leak)
- hot water tank
- less likely galley
Old 10-01-2019, 07:20   #13

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
Most boats have these annoying leaks but they are seldom anything to worry about.
Umm, what?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:35   #14

This area is in front of the owners side sofa & storage cabinets. Not where our starter battery is.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:36   #15
rom

OK I get it, 3 cabins of course ! The 4 cabin is a bit different, but I do have the same round "hole". I believe it was made to let the excess of mastic get out when inserting the inner keel mould. I could be wrong though. See attached picture of my boat where you can clearly see the inner keel mould which is not glassed over like yours.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_182746.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	183612

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440, water