Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 23:56   #16

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Electric Winches

Thanks
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:27   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I guess you could find it on eBay but I remember someone was charging a reasonable price for Machining a "bit" that would fit the winch. Did you buy the kit or did you buy a drill and a bit separately?
Another alternative is the Winch Bit:

For more information see (click on) Winch Bit.

We have been using a Milwaukee Right Angle Drill fitted with a Winch Bit since 2005 and have found it very useful and inexpensive. There are several threads discussing the gear on this site that can be found with the "Search" function in the header, above. Our kit, purchased on-line from Tool-Up.com and Winch Bit, including two batteries and a 12v charger cost us less than $500 USD, somewhat less than half the cost of the same gear being sold as a "Winch Buddy" (although we didn't get the handsome cover that we had to conjure up by hand.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:43   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The draw back to the bits is two fold from my understanding, first is weight cause they go into the drill just like a drill bit meaning the chuck is retained, and the chuck is heavy.
The cranker replaces the chuck so it's a little lighter.
My understanding to is with the chuck there is some kind of shear pin that may shear when the drill is run backwards, but since I never used the bit I don't know.
If you get one, it's a straight as well as angled drill too of course, and two gear ratios depending on which way the angle adapter is put on, you want it to be slow speed of course. slow speed = high torque

Either way, in my opinion it was a good value, I've only had mine for two years, but I'll likely buy a back up as I depend on it so much.
I guess it depends on upper body strength and or how lazy you are as to whether its worth it or not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:52   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Went on the Cranker website and saw this.

Web site special this week only: The Ultimate Cranker Complete (no carry bag) is only $499.00 with free shipping on phone orders!
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:56   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

It depends very much on the boat, but especially, on the sail areas involved. As sail areas get bigger, hand cranking the winches quickly becomes very difficult. Furthermore, it requires time and a lot of energy grinding, which a short handed crew may not have to spare, with a lot of other things on their mind.

We have four powered winches on my boat -- two large primary sheet winches (ST64's), and two coachroof winches (an ST44 and an ST42) which are used for -- mainsheet, vang, staysail sheet, mainsail furling, outhaul, topping lift.

Trying to manage my boat without them, or even without two of them, would involve a major reallocation of crew resource and would really almost prevent using the boat short handed. The yankee sheets are subject to such forces that hand grinding them with one person would be so slow, that the life of the sail would be seriously compromised from flogging while you're trying to grind it in.

So on my boat at least, worth their weight in gold. I wouldn't mind a couple more, actually. We have 10 winches and there are never enough.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:46   #21

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Another alternative is the Winch Bit:

For more information see (click on) Winch Bit.

We have been using a Milwaukee Right Angle Drill fitted with a Winch Bit since 2005 and have found it very useful and inexpensive. There are several threads discussing the gear on this site that can be found with the "Search" function in the header, above. Our kit, purchased on-line from Tool-Up.com and Winch Bit, including two batteries and a 12v charger cost us less than $500 USD, somewhat less than half the cost of the same gear being sold as a "Winch Buddy" (although we didn't get the handsome cover that we had to conjure up by hand.

FWIW...
Thanks for the info but the one you sent me is for $50 the other one is $35
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, winch