Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 13:22   #541

Boat: too many
Re: Electric Main Drive(s)

I guess the powers to be do not want a link to another "on topic" forum.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:23   #542

Boat: O45 ordered

according to the butterfly blog butterflyandbarnacle « of Butterfly and Barnacle
The burned vessel is a sistership of green motion called Sea Minx, Also a FastCat 445.
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:29   #543

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Here's the reference to it. Sea Minx burns out in Richards Bay small craft harbor - Boating Gallery - Boating - SEALINE - South African Angling and Boating Community
Old 07-01-2012, 13:31   #544

amazing it still floats
Old 07-01-2012, 13:31   #545

Thanks Multihull, the name Sea Minx rings a bell for me on the one that burned, but the way the conversation was going I was afraid Green Motion might have been the marketing name for the pre delivery of the owner's boat. Good to know Green Motion is still alive and sailing.
Old 07-01-2012, 14:37   #546

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Just thought I'd mention that I believe that Lagoon also did more hybrids than the 420, and 500. Possibly a 410. I wonder if it was an option back then.
Old 07-01-2012, 15:09   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Thanks Multihull, the name Sea Minx rings a bell for me on the one that burned, but the way the conversation was going I was afraid Green Motion might have been the marketing name for the pre delivery of the owner's boat. Good to know Green Motion is still alive and sailing.
As far as I know, moored in Amsterdam and not sailing at all.
Old 08-01-2012, 00:28   #548

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Dignity is being converted this month to diesels. Cheers Frank
Thanks for the info Frank. I'll have to go and read Steve's blog to see why he came to the decision.

He was one of the really big supporters of the Hybrid so if he's given up on it then things must have deteriorated badly over time.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:42   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
The powers that be on here have an attitude to other multihull forums that make a 5 year old having a tantrum look mature
Learn something new every day.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:28   #550

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

Sea Minx and Green Emotion are two different boats using the same (Green Motion) propulsion system: Green Motion. Like I mentioned before, last time I saw Green Emotion she was docked in Amsterdam. Gideon kindly invited me for some test sails demonstrating the Green Motion systems simply worked (without drama). If you go to the linked website you will find more than one article in renowned magazines.

Eric
Old 08-01-2012, 05:38   #551

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

"Just thought I'd mention that I believe that Lagoon also did more hybrids than the 420, and 500. Possibly a 410. I wonder if it was an option back then."

3 410's were built with a different system then the 420's of which all 3 are still running strong and I own one of them. I believe 2 500's were built with electric drives by Dave Tether who built the original systems for Lagoon, one 500 is Dave's test bed for his system and the second one was built for (I believe) the owner of The Catamaran Co.
Dave's systems (at the time Solomons Tech) were straight forward and operated on a 144v system. When Dave and Solomons split Lagoon decided to cut out the middle man and build their own system based on a 72v system for the 420's. There has been a number of issues with this system documented here and else where. My own opinion was in most cases the system was to complicated for the average sailor (charters) and probably 5 years ahead of it's time. With the price of LiPos dropping (batteries being the weakest point) I believe your going to see a big interest in EB's. By the way 1 of the 410's (Hull #E2)went up for sale about a month ago and went to contract within 1 week. The owners are selling do to 3 kids (1 still in the oven) under the age of 10, they are live aboards. They are currently sailing in the Islands. They have been up and down the East coast mostly inside 2 times from Mass to Florida. So much for not getting around. Hull #E1 last I heard was in South America and Hull #E3 (mine) is in Solomons MD.

First Electric Lagoon Crosses Atlantic to Annapolis...Then Heads to Tortola

emotionhybrid.com Take a look at some of the "other" boats his system is being installed in.

Once My Propulsion Batteries go bad (Estimate is in 2 or 3 years on this currently 5 year old pack) I'l go LiPo4 and get an estimated 6-8 hours of run time at 5 knots with 1/3 the weight.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:37   #552

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I posted a link to the other forum about a Tag 60 hybrid that also had numerous problems including a fire that the crew was able to extinguish. This forum doesn't allow links to that other forum so that post was removed. So if you want to read about it go over "there" and search the boats name "Tang" and there you are. The first posts are hilarious. Question: what usually precedes Tang?