Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 20:47   #526

Boat: Tennant - 51' sailing cat - under construction.
Re: Electric Main Drive(s)

Hi... I'm new to cruisersforum and as I'm building a bridgedeck on my 43' Malcolm Tennant cat and need to repower, I was reading this thread with a lot of interest. From what I have been able to glean in regards to hybrid electric powered cats, Lagoon appears to have stopped prodution, and African cats might have had a pretty major set back with the loss of Sea Minx ?

I could not find anything about existing 420 sailers who are using the hybrids ?
I'd be real keen to see how these are going before goving down the twin 30-40 hp diesel route... Disappointed if that were to be the case though...
gerrytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 22:39   #527
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Hi, Gerrytv, and welcome to CF!

The story of the Lagoon 420 hybrid is a long one. The very short version is that they haven't worked out. While there are some hybrid boats no doubt out there still sailing around, many of them have been converted over to diesel. Lagoon's support for them is waning. Still much needed before this approach is truly feasible in the general sailing environment. If you want the details, there's a 73 page thread, here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fans-5250.html Sort of sad, actually, I was one of the very early folks who was very interested (even signed up for one before hull #1 was built), but then I saw a real one, sailed one, heard from the other earlier owners, and decided it wasn't for me. I keep hoping, though!

There's also a 420 owners group, I believe in Google groups.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 04:17   #528

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytv View Post
Hi... I'm new to cruisersforum and as I'm building a bridgedeck on my 43' Malcolm Tennant cat and need to repower, I was reading this thread with a lot of interest. From what I have been able to glean in regards to hybrid electric powered cats, Lagoon appears to have stopped prodution, and African cats might have had a pretty major set back with the loss of Sea Minx ?

I could not find anything about existing 420 sailers who are using the hybrids ?
I'd be real keen to see how these are going before goving down the twin 30-40 hp diesel route... Disappointed if that were to be the case though...
Hi Gerrytv

Read my posts for details of how our Lagoon 420 Hybrid has performed in practice: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...archid=2528993

We have not converted Octopus to conventional diesel propulsion, as we have not yet experienced any serious problems; others have been less fortunate.

I don't think there are many unconverted Lagoon 420 hybrids still out there.

When we eventually come to sell Octopus, I expect we will have her converted to make her easier to sell.

I wouldn't advise you to re-power to a hybrid design unless you are knowledgeable and experienced in electrics.

For us, owing a hybrid has been interesting and exciting, but the technology needs to improve for it to be suitable for general use. There are many potential and actual advantages to the hybrid design, but it does not yet provide a compelling alternative to conventional diesel propulsion.

The principal weakness of the hybrid system on the 420 is the weight and inefficiency of lead acid batteries. The complexity of the system is also a drawback.

Battery technology continues to improve and the integrated hybrid sterndrive packages look promising, so the idea is far from dead.

Kind Regards

Chris
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 10:34   #529

Boat: too many

Chris,

The link didn't work and I am interested in your experience with the electric drive.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 11:38   #530

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Chris,

The link didn't work and I am interested in your experience with the electric drive.
Click on my user name (Octopus) on this post and select the "Find more posts by Octopus" option.

Chris
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 23:45   #531

Old thread from 2006, but electric drives are working now, and at a speed loss of only 1 kt (from 9 to 8) generates 4000 watts under sail. Fully electric galley with induction stove top, A/C, dishwasher, electric hot water heater and steamer for drinks, and a mast mounted wind turbine, solar panels, self sufficient without propane or diesel and the price will keep dropping.

http://www.green-motion.com/site/ima...ng-YM-2010.pdf
Old 07-01-2012, 01:49   #532

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:

There is at least one other Hybrid 420 out there circumnavigating... Dignity. Same username on this forum so I'm sure you can get in touch.

Met Steve the owner in the Caribbean a few years back and came across him somewhere in the South Pacific ( I think ) sometime later. He was very pleased with his boat and had no intention of changing to diesel.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09   #533
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Not sailing anymore - catastrophic fire recently
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:40   #534

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The one pictured in the article (Green Emotion) is lying peacefully in Amsterdam as far a I know. I also know more boats with the similar system aboard are sailing around.

Eric
Old 07-01-2012, 09:21   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I heard one of the electric drive boats burned, I didn't think it was that one. Are you sure?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:05   #536

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Someone posted a pic on the forum of the totally burned out hulk of what used to be Green Motion (I beleive). The much acclaimed multimillion dollar boat made by Tag has caught fire but the crew was able to put it out quickly. That boat has had nothing but problems since day one. I posted about another boat that had gone tyhrough at least 3 variations of hybrid conversion and they determined that basically they needed another big-ass genny to run both motors. My computer crashed and I grew up in the 70s so excuse me if I can't recall where I posted these. FWIW I did see a Lagoon 500 hybrid and I wondered if it was equipped that way from the factory.
I beleive hybrid is best for Bianka and Deskofficer who have experience. For the rest of us it's just not worth it.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:55   #537

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The demise of Green Motion
Green Motion Fastcat Goes Up in Flames - Multihulls4us Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green motion 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	35707   Click image for larger version

Name:	green Motion.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	35708  

Old 07-01-2012, 12:53   #538

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:

Read 'Aboard Dignity' blog, his boat is in NZ about to be converted after crossing the Pacific.
Personally i don't think electric drives suit ocean going vessels as yet.Unless used for berthing and gunkholing.
Cheers Frank
Old 07-01-2012, 12:55   #539

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
There is at least one other Hybrid 420 out there circumnavigating... Dignity. Same username on this forum so I'm sure you can get in touch.

Met Steve the owner in the Caribbean a few years back and came across him somewhere in the South Pacific ( I think ) sometime later. He was very pleased with his boat and had no intention of changing to diesel.
Dignity is being converted this month to diesels. Cheers Frank
Old 07-01-2012, 13:20   #540

Bob,

Thanks for the heads up for this forum and it led me to a local guy that is running one electric outboard (torqeedo 4Kw) with a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on the other hull of his Seawind 1000 "KatieKat" in SF bay area. This guy and I must be related, as he has the electric Sparrow, a fast one seat electric car, solar for the home, electric scooter, and is now using Li-Po batteries.