Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 19:22   #31

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Do Catamarans Have a Better Resale Value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes, off course! The kayak that did not make it was mono too!

I think the whole mono / cat nonsense is 99% a money thing. Why can't so many owners face it?

b.
It is mostly nonsense, I agree. I see it as a size issue, rather than a money issue, but the size leads to money so it becomes a money issue.

I think cats are comparably priced with mono's of equivalent capability.

The problem is that there is certain size below which cat's just don't make sense for liveaboard, but monohulls are still viable.

The whole mono/cat performance thing is also a huge red herring. It's mostly apples to bananas comparisons that don't hold up to close examination. I think that argument is more about the difference between sport sailing and luxury cruising than it is about actual performance of cats vs monohulls.

Do they have a better resale value? Probably yeah, but then they also carry a premium purchase value, so what does it mean? All those $225k Moorings boats in the Caribbean are still there after 2 years on the brokerage, and they are still selling new cats as hard as they can.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 20:34   #32

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42

The PDQ 36 is a popular boat. We bought our last PDQ36 in 2008 during the dead of winter in New York for $129,500. We made lots of upgrades, Autopilot, Icom M-802 SSB, pactor III modem, batteries, new galley stove, dinghy etc. We also added 3' overall to the length stretching the boat to 39'. After a few years of sailing we sold the boat in Florida for around $168,000 if I recall correctly. Sure, we invested lots of money in the boat to make it ours, but we also got lots of value by sailing it up and down the east coast USA and to Guatemala in Central America and back to Florida where the boat sold pretty quickly.

Our situation was surely unique given the hull extensions, but it goes to show that with the right boat, savvy upgrades, and lots of sweat equity you can at least break even. In late 2009 the boat market was in pretty bad shape in the USA and IMHO our catamaran was still pretty easy to sell with lots of prospective buyers making inquires. I even sold the boat myself without a broker or the benefit of Yachtworld which has to narrow the market further.

Wishing you both a speedy sail and sale.
Old 05-09-2013, 00:16   #33

As this is turning into a mono/multi debate, there are in my view ony two disadvantages with multis both being low price point related.

1, Lowest price point to get a capable long distance cruiser.
I you exclude the people who would get the comment; "oh really, are you sailing around the world in that boat, I'm impressed", the cheapes long distance cruiser mono is substansially cheaper than a multi. As mentioned above, a PDQ 36 is a very capable boat. A Seawind 1000 probably too and maybe even a Gemeni. These boats are more expensive than low priced but capable long distance capable mono.

2, If you plan to cruise high/low latitudes, you need quite a substantial multi where you again can get away with a much cheaper mono.

Everything else is a slam dunk for multis (for people who like multis)
Charter Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 15:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
and why would you buy a cat over a mono?
having learned a lot about crossings, stability, safety, i would not ever buy a small cat for a crossing.
and thats what you have money for, a small cat.
yes, you can make passages on a small cat. but if you run into the worst weather for whatever reason, i would rather be in a mono.
35' breaking seas, 50kt winds, a mono can roll, and right itself. a cat will not.
Exactly right! The mono can roll, the cat will not.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 15:25   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Yup!
If i was going to stay coastal or docked, a cat would be my first choice.
But in the tasman sea, i want my mono.
The title of the thread is - Do Catamarans Have a Better Resale Value?

please explain how your bigotry contributes something positive to the discussion?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, paracelle, sale