Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 09:40   #61

Boat: Cross 26, trimaran
Re: Cross Trimarans

Mark,
Where did you find the black and white photo of the Cross 36R, any info on that picture would be awesome. That is my friends boat i was telling you about that got me hooked on tris!
B Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:16   #62

Boat: Cross 26, trimaran

Cross 26 in action
B Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:30   #63

Boat: Marine Trader 36 sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to happyendings

Just a note to let all of the subscribers to this thread know that I have listed my 2000 Cross 38 for sale here on the forum and on sailboatlistings dot com. I am selling for reasons that have very little to do with the boat: just not enough time to complete her re-fit and cruise her, at least not in the next two or three years. The boat is fully encapsulated, strongly built and rot-free. She was built in Maine from 1994 to 2000 and launched in 2001, a relatively new boat with a relatively short build time (not a 20-year project that set for long periods). The builder and I became good friends and thus I want to be sure whomever buys it will finish it properly. This is not a financial distress sale and I will continue the project with the prospect that I might keep her after all.

All the LP paint and materials necessary to complete the project will be included in the sale and my dock will be available for up to two months for a transition.

-Mark
Old 25-10-2014, 09:11   #64

Boat: Marine Trader 36 sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to happyendings

A further update on the Cross 38, Oranda J. I sold her to a close friend who has cruised extensively with me. The boat will remain in the SW Florida area while her re-fit is completed and I expect to sail aboard her from time to time with the new owner.
-Mark Zalenski
Old 04-01-2015, 16:24   #65

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I'm interested in a set af Cross plans. Does anybody have any idea how I can reach Jeff Turner? If so I can be reached at lvogtman at Comcast.net

Thanks,
Lee
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 17:29   #66

Boat: Cross 32r extended to 36'

Your email address does't work for some reason, is there a typo?
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 17:34   #67

Boat: Cross 32r extended to 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Walters View Post
Mark,
Where did you find the black and white photo of the Cross 36R, any info on that picture would be awesome. That is my friends boat i was telling you about that got me hooked on tris!

Jeff Turner and I were studying the differences between the Cross 36r and my 36. As it turns out mine is a 32r extended to 36'.
The picture of your buddies boat is one he gave as a comparison.

Mark
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 18:01   #68

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G. View Post
Your email address does't work for some reason, is there a typo?
I don't believe so! lvogtman@comcast.net when assembled...
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:57   #69

Great Cross Tri discussion, I have a cross 42 stretched to 48 and 27feet wide. She went into the water in 1985, We have lived and cruised up and down the west coast and all of Mexico. BEST boat ever!!! She is a Ketch rig, bigger pilothouse, and accessible from the cockpit, ama's. Fastest I've gone is 16.5 knots for 2.5 hours. best day was 232miles in 24 and had to motor the last 2 because the wind died. Not bad for an overloaded cruising boat. When I beach her, which I have done 7 or 8 times I attach a 2x4 with a 1' by 1' piece of plywood nailed to the bottom so they don't sink in. I attach these to my chainplates (4) with a c clamp just to keep it from tipping over. The weight is on the keel so the "stilts" just balance her. And I can adjust each one to compensate for the bottom. At the time when we built her everyone warned me she would tip over .... That is why we named her ^This Side Up^. (We have no sense of humor) As far as pointing with the fin keel, I do 30 deg. (apparent). Even if a monohull can out point me...... I sure can out anchor him.
This Side Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 15:58   #70

Hi I'm looking for a Tri. that I can afford to by and fix up. There's a cross 42r I'm going to go check out. needs quite a bit of help but I'm sure I can handle all the repairs. In a brief conversation with owner I ask how she went to weather, the answer ( hesitantly ) was that she didn't go to weather, also said friends that had Piver's also said there boats didn't go to weather. This is the first time I've heard about this, I've always heard that Cross boats and tri's in general were very good sailing boats. I had a Tobago 35 ( french cat ) for 11yrs and it was a great boat ( it was fun having a three bedroom home that would sail at close to 14 knots ) but if you tried to point with cruising mono's she slowed right down to their speed. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Last thing I want is a pig in the water much easier to go slow in a fast boat than fast in a slow boat. Thanks
admbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 20:10   #71

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Any tri can be made to sail poorly....Usual suspects....dirty bottom, 3 or 2 bladed fixed prop, poorly cut sails, poor sheeting/incorrect hardware location, pinching too close to the wind, overloaded/overbuilt.
The Cross long, shoal cruising keel needs some speed to work, if you pinch and stall you'll make more leeway than you would sailing free and fast.
The overload is the big one, is the interior solid teak with heavy cabinet doors etc....and the tanks big enough to power half way around the world? These boats should be thought of as airplanes, not freighters if you want one to fly. Yanking a overbuilt house style interior can be a good place to start.
Jeff Turner has study plans and plans available for these boats if you want to see how close the one you are looking at is to the design.
Pivers can sail decently if not afflicted with the above too.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 20:38   #72

Thanks, those same things affect cats also. From the pictures I've seen she doesn't appear to have to much heavy cabinetry. They've had her for quite a few years so I doubt the bottoms been fowled all that time ( altough you never know ). Guess I'll just have to make the trip, can't get a real feel from pictures. It's a little hard, every dollar spent looking is another dollar out of my cruising kitty. Oh well at least I'm learning a lot. Keep the advise coming !
Old 29-01-2015, 20:42   #73

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Jeff Turner, The cross design page has been taking down ?
Old 29-01-2015, 20:42   #74

I just found the Cross multihull site non functional and have asked Dsanduril if he can find anything out about Jeff Turner.
Old 29-01-2015, 20:52   #75

So admbilly is the Cross the cruising version or the racer? They are very different boats.

Tags
trimaran