Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 17:50   #31

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Cost for bottom paint

Ft. Myers

43' Cat, 23' beam

$3650

sand where needed, 6 gallons SeaHawk Biocop TF

Saildrives extra.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 18:17   #32

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post
I just got a quote for bottom paint on my 40' catamaran the prices are completely unreasonable.
The cost go like this
Haul out and block
also first coat 1890.00
second and 3rd coat 890.00
clean sail drives and paint 600.00
If any sanding 25 per ft or 65per hour
This is in Fort Myers
I am amazed at these prices any one know a boat yard that is more reasonable.
Cat 21'x40
I don't understand why people keep applying bottom paint year in, year out. We put Coppercoat on our boat six years ago now. Looking at the bottom a month ago, it will be at least another six years before we even start to think about re-doing it. My advice is to pay the extra for Coppercoat, and forget about painting your bottom after that - I'd rather be sailing and saving money.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 18:24   #33

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I don't understand why people keep applying bottom paint year in, year out. We put Coppercoat on our boat six years ago now. Looking at the bottom a month ago, it will be at least another six years before we even start to think about re-doing it. My advice is to pay the extra for Coppercoat, and forget about painting your bottom after that - I'd rather be sailing and saving money.
The OP doesn't like prices for paint, probably have a heart attack seeing prices for Coppercoat.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 18:27   #34

Boat: Sigma 41

I had my boat pulled out for a survey at Gulf Ways in ft meyers which was quick and reasonable cost. The PO had the boat painted there and they did an outstanding job. They are not cheap but responsible and honest. Call and check them out.
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 19:39   #35
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btimmerman49 View Post
Take a nice pleasant cruise across the Okechobee Waterway and try Riverside

Marina in Ft Pierce. Nice, friendly people. They welcome DIYs, 22' beam is no problem. For my 26' monohull Watkins $290 to pull and launch, $45 to pressure clean, $45 to block, and $40 environmental fee. $300 monthly storage or $30 per day. I just was there last month. Tell them Bill Timmerman sent you.

Their phone is 772-464-5720

Pretty sure his mast wouldn't fit under the railroad bridge.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:41   #36

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
1) Labor and material costs vary in different parts of the world, the country and even locally. As I posted above, call for quotes by different people. You don't have to take your business to the first yard you called. Make sure all the quotes are for equal work with equal materials.

2) If you take pride in sanding and painting your boat's bottom, by all means, do it yourself. For me, watching someone sand and paint a boat bottom reinforces my parent's insistence that I get an education and learn a marketable skill.

3) While some people may get away with throwing the debris from bottom painting in the dumpster, it is illegal and responsible people and shops collect and dispose of it responsibly and legally. Which would you want?
Your are right about point one. One in vacation in Tunisia, I was staying close to a very modern and beatifull marina of El Cantaoui. There the deal was thas all boats(Europeans sailing vaisels mostly) were treated by the local marina workers. Hauling, and relauching, Cleaning, sanding, and applying 2 coats of the same antifouling(even same brownish color!) was done fast, professionaly and at rates that are below anything you can dream of. The antifouling came in huge barels and was excellent. It provided jobs, and income for the workers, that were very professionals, worked cleanly, and were well equiped to protect themself and the environment .
For your other point, I find the idea of letting other uneducated(thus poorer) to do your dirty work, while you look a them down your nose! not very nice and a more then a bit pretentious in rich equalitarian country . Not nice exemple in a suposedly class less society...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:57   #37
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post
I just got a quote for bottom paint on my 40' catamaran the prices are completely unreasonable.
The cost go like this
Haul out and block
also first coat 1890.00
second and 3rd coat 890.00
clean sail drives and paint 600.00
If any sanding 25 per ft or 65per hour
This is in Fort Myers
I am amazed at these prices any one know a boat yard that is more reasonable.
Cat 21'x40
I don't understand.

Others should want to be exposed to hazardous materials, performing hard labour , on the clock, on expensive waterfront commercial real estate, on your boat, for free?

Why should you be able to make a decent living wage, so you can have a decent life, save up, buy a nice boat, and go cruising, while others working on your boat so you can enjoy this, make minimum wage and live in poverty?
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
I don't understand.

Others should want to be exposed to hazardous materials, performing hard labour , on the clock, on expensive waterfront commercial real estate, on your boat, for free?

Why should you be able to make a decent living wage, so you can have a decent life, save up, buy a nice boat, and go cruising, while others working on your boat so you can enjoy this, make minimum wage and live in poverty?
My experience from the few times I've had painting done rather than doing it myself is:
-The lowest paid guy, who was flipping hamburgers last week, gets the bottom job. He's not making a good wage, the yard is making a great profit.
-The "sanding" included in the basic bottom job is about .5 hour labor and not much at all, just look for lumps and hit those.
These experiences were at probably about half the OP's quote.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 14:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
I don't understand.

Why should he pay more than the work is worth, wasting his hard earned money, forcing him to eventually live in poverty?
Old 12-08-2017, 15:13   #40

Boat: 40' Leopard

Thanks to allll who posted. Even the people who have no idea what they are talking about such as the minimum wage commit .
I have owned boats for 30 some years and done several bottom jobs during thatt time. Aluding to me being one of the rich guys made me almost fall out of my chair laughing . Any thing I acquired was thru hard work and making good choices.
Now being 70 I am enjoying the last few years of my life.
I did call a lot of boat works and got some very reasonable quotes ..Many were too ffar from me or I could not get to them with my mast height.
My complaint was basically the prices had jumped 1000 in 2 years .
The yard I use does great work no complaints all the staff are helpful and very knowledgeable.

Talking with the service manager they made some good adjustments and I am happy.

Happy sailing to all who commented even the ones who don't have a boat or know how to sail
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 07:02   #41

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
Take a nice pleasant cruise across the Okechobee Waterway and try Riverside
Marina in Ft Pierce. Nice, friendly people. They welcome DIYs, 22' beam is no problem. For my 26' monohull Watkins $290 to pull and launch, $45 to pressure clean, $45 to block, and $40 environmental fee. $300 monthly storage or $30 per day. I just was there last month. Tell them Bill Timmerman sent you.
Their phone is 772-464-5720
All those prices are great until I get to $300/mt for being on the hard? I thought being on the hard was usually considerably cheaper than being in a slip with decent services.

$45 to pressure clean? Wow. I've seen $150 on up a few times.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 17:49   #42

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

i'm considering the purchase of Juniper - a Chris White trimaran - currently in Porto Rico. She is 52' long and 30' beam with 4.5' draft. Where could i haul her out somewhere between Porto Rico and North Florida?
thanks
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 18:01   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

with 2 hulls griping about the same price monos have to pay?? puleeeeze. i paid that when i had a 35 ft ericson sloop.
want less, do it yourself.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 18:28   #44

And this thread dear friends is why I no longer do boat repairs.
Poor hard done by boat owners.
Do it yourself mate.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:44   #45
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
All those prices are great until I get to $300/mt for being on the hard? I thought being on the hard was usually considerably cheaper than being in a slip with decent services.

$45 to pressure clean? Wow. I've seen $150 on up a few times.
Those who shop for low price are likely to be sorely disappointed over others who shop for quality products and services.

Any business who prices themselves well above the market, simply won't last.

Any business who prices themselves well below market, doesn't have a service queue of full rate customers to please.

Specific to the "on the hard" rate, this is directly proportional to supply and demand vs cost of real estate. Somebody with a low cost real estate that is empty is cheap; high cost real estate that is full is expensive, everyone else is in between.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint