Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Cost for bottom paint

It's a little high, but not unreasonable for a 40' cat. you've got twice the waterline of a mono to tape, two saildrives, two rudders, two keels, etc....

shop around, but another problem you'll have is that you're limited to yards that can physically haul you. cheaper rates can be had, but they can't get you out of the water.

Another option is to do the work yourself......however that involves finding a yard that is capable of hauling you and allows DIY.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:53   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
............. Another option is to do the work yourself......however that involves finding a yard that is capable of hauling you and allows DIY.
Sanding and painting a boat's bottom is tiring and dirty work. Work best left to other people. And remember, you are dealing with toxic materials. You need thee proper protective clothing and breathing equipment.

Then, there's cleanup. You can't just let the dust blow away, you have to collect al scraping and sanding debris and deposit it in a hazardous waste landfill.

Hire this job out if you possibly can.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:05   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Sanding and painting a boat's bottom is tiring and dirty work. Work best left to other people. And remember, you are dealing with toxic materials. You need thee proper protective clothing and breathing equipment.

Then, there's cleanup. You can't just let the dust blow away, you have to collect al scraping and sanding debris and deposit it in a hazardous waste landfill.

Maybe where you are, around here the yard hired hands sand and blow. Sure they'll sweep up after sanding or scraping and dump the debris in the dumpster.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:06   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Yes very tiring and dirty work, and very satisfying when you complete it yourself. I've always said, when I can't do my own boat work it's time to sell the boat.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Feel your pain. I have a 29 foot Sharpie. Here is the thing...you have two hulls. Maybe not twice the trouble...but certainly not a factor to far from it. The big problem with multihulls is their width. It limits you as to where you can be hauled out. In California, it is not that easy to even find a yard that can haul that width. So, then you have to find a railway travel lift with knowledgeable people who know how and where to block her correctly. Then you have to find the place where they allow DIY.

I know ...I know...you have this sexy cat and she is getting you raped. I am not knocking multihulls. I am a trimaran lover. But I am not shelling out 70k for a beat up trimaran. A decent cat would cost me well north of 100k. I am sure you are well north of 200-300k.

I bought this little sharpie for 5k. I just spent 6k to have my motor well cut up and redone. Why? Because she came with a 4hp 2 stroke with no reverse. Lake Tahoe doesn't allow 2 strokes. So I bought a 10 hp 4 stroke. It is too large to put in the well. I am a decent DIY guy. But at my age there was no way I could do all of the complex cuts inside the size of an average suitcase. Can you imagine trying to lay up fiberglass? What is my point? They have you by the short hairs and their isn't much you can do about it.

Learn how to do your own bottom paint. It is messy work but it isn't that difficult. I sanded my hull down to bare wood. 4 coats of epoxy barrier coat and then 3 coats of antifoul. If you take decent care of your bottom paint...you could do the pressure washing, sanding, touch up and masking, primer, and bottom paint in less than a week. If you have the money pay for it to be done. If you have the money and want to keep most of it...do it yourself. Sorry for the shock...get used to the horrors.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:55   #21

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If the bottom isn't in bad shape it really isn't that much work. With ablative paint we do a really good job of pressure washing. After that a light sanding then apply paint. For the sanding on a 38' cat maybe 2-3 hours, for painting maybe 1 hour for 2 people.
What is this we you speak of?

Lisa does all the work.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 13:00   #22

Boat: GibSea 472

My 47' sloop cost me roughly $500 for Hydrocoat antifouling(3 gal on sale) for 2 full coats, plus one day(no5t working hard!) of labor for preparation and application. I know that marina prices are sometime abusive, and I avoid giving them job as much as possible. For unstepping my mast and dumping on my deck, it cost $7.00 a foot!... I once paid in Virgin Gorda close to $1000 for 5 days on the ground. More expensive than the hotel room!
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 13:20   #23

1) Labor and material costs vary in different parts of the world, the country and even locally. As I posted above, call for quotes by different people. You don't have to take your business to the first yard you called. Make sure all the quotes are for equal work with equal materials.

2) If you take pride in sanding and painting your boat's bottom, by all means, do it yourself. For me, watching someone sand and paint a boat bottom reinforces my parent's insistence that I get an education and learn a marketable skill.

3) While some people may get away with throwing the debris from bottom painting in the dumpster, it is illegal and responsible people and shops collect and dispose of it responsibly and legally. Which would you want?
Old 11-08-2017, 13:38   #24
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
What is this we you speak of?

Lisa does all the work.

Half way correct[emoji16]. She usually sands the bottom while I compound and wax the topsides.
Old 11-08-2017, 13:42   #25
smj

Quote:
1) Labor and material costs vary in different parts of the world, the country and even locally. As I posted above, call for quotes by different people. You don't have to take your business to the first yard you called. Make sure all the quotes are for equal work with equal materials.

2) If you take pride in sanding and painting your boat's bottom, by all means, do it yourself. For me, watching someone sand and paint a boat bottom reinforces my parent's insistence that I get an education and learn a marketable skill.

3) While some people may get away with throwing the debris from bottom painting in the dumpster, it is illegal and responsible people and shops collect and dispose of it responsibly and legally. Which would you want?

I'm guessing the guy sanding and painting your boat has a marketable skill as you are paying him.
My father was a college professor and, when I turned 18 he recommended that I learn a trade rather than get a college education. He believed there was a better opportunity having a trade rather than the college education.
Old 11-08-2017, 14:05   #26

Boat: Pearson

ft. misery is bad, probably there are much worse, try pine island marina.
Old 11-08-2017, 14:29   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I think the OP is somewhat caught by the short hairs with a 21ft. beam. Not every yard can haul him so he has to take what you can get.
just as a caveat, I had a 22ft. beam. I asked about if I supplied the paint, same price. We make our money on the paint mark up.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 14:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I'm guessing the guy sanding and painting your boat has a marketable skill as you are paying him.
My father was a college professor and, when I turned 18 he recommended that I learn a trade rather than get a college education. He believed there was a better opportunity having a trade rather than the college education.
A "marketable skill" perhaps but it would be more like "semi-skilled". Something that can be learned in a day or two. It doesn't compare with an electrician or plumber.
Old 11-08-2017, 17:25   #29

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Prepping and painting a boats bottom is pretty close to one of the worst jobs I have ever partaken in. Nobody has chimed in and called it a walk in the park.

Not much you can do except gather more bids. Miami isn't too far away. Perhaps you can find a better deal in another area.

Knowing what I know about working on bottoms, the prices didn't seem bad. Check Craigslist for a freelancer?

Note that my boat sat in a slip for eight years of neglect. Very extensive bottom project....daunting really.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 17:42   #30

Boat: O'Day 34

Take a nice pleasant cruise across the Okechobee Waterway and try Riverside
Marina in Ft Pierce. Nice, friendly people. They welcome DIYs, 22' beam is no problem. For my 26' monohull Watkins $290 to pull and launch, $45 to pressure clean, $45 to block, and $40 environmental fee. $300 monthly storage or $30 per day. I just was there last month. Tell them Bill Timmerman sent you.
Their phone is 772-464-5720
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	153957  
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint