Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069
Conversion ex-charter Heads

We've started looking at buying an ex-charter cat (FP Lavezzi, Lagoon 380/410, Leopards) because the price difference between that type and the owners version is ridiculously wide ($100k!). We're only a family of 3 so having 4 heads and 4 showers is overkill.

I want to remove the 2 of them and make them showers only. If anyone has done this before what was you're experience? Is this something a DIYer can accomplish or would I need a professional?
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Conversion ex-charter heads

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, yardie.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

It's hard to remove the heads completely. I've seen people turn one head into a "laundry room" and use another head as a walk in hanging locker.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54   #4

Hey FLLCatsailor, I know you're a broker in my old stomping grounds. Do cats with 220V electrics come up often? We currently live in France and have sort of lasered in on the French Antilles because they have lots of ex charters and being the same voltage means I won't have to buy new appliances, again.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:18   #5

Boat: Hunter 36

I've been strongly considering the same thing when I buy a cat. I've seen some otherwise identical Leopard 46's where the price was not just $100K lower, but as much as $300K lower for the four-head charter version!

However, keep in mind that part of the discrepancy in price is the difference in wear and tear of a charter boat vs. privately owned. Still, the difference in price can be so insanely high that even if you have to make expensive modifications and repairs, it would still be well worth it in the end.

You can convert the heads into wet lockers/laundry rooms but it would be nice to get rid of the toilet bowls themselves in order to save weight and space. I would also love to hear from people who have done this.

BTW, while the charter version of the Lagoon 410 has four heads, the 380 still only has two.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Rohan, It is very easy to just simply removed the heads... Believe it or not, there are only holes from the bolts securing the heads in place. It isn't like a home head where you will have a large hole....
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17   #7

Right ok first the caveat:

I have never removed a head from an ex-charter FP Lavezzi, Lagoon 380/410 or Leopard catamaran.

But:

Seriously how difficult can it be? I'm a pretty practical guy. Someone put it in there so all you have to do is reverse the process? Assuming that it's not part of the moulded liner surely is can't be that difficult. Unscrew, remove water supply pipework, remove waste pipe work and properly seal all resulting holes?

For sure you're going to graze knuckles, bang your head and use profoundly colourful language as you lose track, for the 83rd time, of the flexible water supply hose but that is the same for pretty much every job on a boat right?

Just to confirm that I have never removed a head from an ex-charter FP Lavezzi, Lagoon 380/410 or Leopard catamaran.
CannyBallast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:31   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

It's easy to remove the head. Just shut off the seacock, unbolt the head and drop it overboard. The hard part is removing the seacocks and patching the holes. Not that big a deal but has to be done on the hard. Get a how to book from West Systems and follow their instructions. Easily done by a complete novice but messy messy. Then there is also the joinery work if you are going to do more than just leave it as open space. That can take a bit more skill but still doable for the amateur.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52   #9

Sealing the seacock? Surely not.

I may have misunderstood but the disconection will only be from the head to the holding tank, non?

Just to clarify I have never removed a head from an ex-charter FP Lavezzi, Lagoon 380/410 or Leopard catamaran
CannyBallast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:35   #10

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Just shut off the seacock, unbolt the head and drop it overboard.
Hope you are joking about that...
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:21   #11

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post

Hope you are joking about that...
Yes, me too. Very important to plug the hoses to prevent dribbles whilst on your way to chuck it overboard.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 15:08   #12

Re: Conversion ex-charter Heads

Hi new to the site, my first post so bare with me!A local chap has recently done the 4cabin to owners hull conversion on a Catania 40something ex charter sailed from the other side of the pond to Falmouth uk.
Work done by a local ship right for around the £25000 mark apparently better than original version and very good fit quality, I think the bulkheads needed repositioning and reinforcing took 6weeks aprox. Hope this helps
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 15:44   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Hi new to the site, my first post so bare with me!A local chap has recently done the 4cabin to owners hull conversion on a Catania 40something ex charter sailed from the other side of the pond to Falmouth uk.
Work done by a local ship right for around the £25000 mark apparently better than original version and very good fit quality, I think the bulkheads needed repositioning and reinforcing took 6weeks aprox. Hope this helps
Bulk heads would moved for sure... Consult a naval architect... Don't expect to get your money out of the conversion...
Old 03-07-2013, 22:54   #14

Re: Conversion ex-charter Heads

I wouldn't like to have to have to move the bulkhead. I haven't been aboard these cats yet so I'm not sure how much space will be available in the head once the head has been removed. I'd certainly like to put a washing machine in one of them. Maybe one of those upright 40cm Whirlpool AWE6517 Washing Machine in White
Old 04-07-2013, 11:50   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Still, the difference in price can be so insanely high that even if you have to make expensive modifications and repairs, it would still be well worth it in the end.
Every time you make significant modifications keep in mind what the next buyer will think of it. Your improvements may cost a lot of money and reduce resale value at the same time.
You simply no longer have a stock model but something social and you will need a special buyer.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote