Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 18:28   #1

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit
Cats that do not feel like a coffin

That was pretty specific, I think .

We're going to have a cat as our only home for a period of at least five years (assuming no disasters, etc...) And I really, really want something that has a lot of natural light in the main living area.

In our research we have found that Lagoons and Maine cats have bright, open living spaces up top. Are they others out there that I haven't run across yet?

Yes, I used the Google search function on the site prior to posting this and didn't get any hits other than lagoons.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 18:37   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Cats that do not feel like a coffin

Size determines the coffin like feeling. Under 40' feels coffin like while 42' and up make for a condo on the water feeling.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 18:47   #3

What cat's have you been on that felt like a coffin? I can't think of any bridgedeck cat that doesn't have good natural light and space.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:10   #4

Privilege 39. Great boat with lots of shadows in the saloon.

Old 26-01-2015, 19:13   #5

Boat: Monk 36

Like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	96114
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:35   #6

Oh, you are bad. Cat coffin, indeed.

Old 26-01-2015, 19:48   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Privilege 39. Great boat with lots of shadows in the saloon.

More like a pilot house with limited visibility on most older Priviledges. Older smaller FPs tend to have coffin like forward cabins...and minimal ventilation in the aft cabins (true on many newer and bigger FPs too...must be a French thing).

Most newer builds, across makes, have lots of light and visibility in the deck house salon.

Something to consider while shopping: A down side to all this light in the tropics is that it functions like a green house and can get hot fast. Lagoon's vertical windows and Manta's horizontal "shutters" help mitigate this effect. Window coverings, like white mesh (available in diff shade densities), and sun awnings can of course be added to any boat to help.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 06:58   #8

Since you didn't mention price or size range, don't ignore the gunboat 55. Has won multiple multihull awards this year. Design is right up your alley, as open as it gets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3659.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	96126  
boneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 08:07   #9

Boat: solaris 42 1978

my 42 solaris is roomy and priced right to sell here on the cruisers forum ,, reduced to 45000 i have lived on it but have to move on ,, on a mooring here in the bay of panama ,, a great place to live ,, even if you dont buy my cat when you do move onto one check out panama with two oceans and hundreds of islands less than a hundred miles apart ,,
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 09:39   #10

Boat: Leopard 40

Our Leopard 40 has a very light and airy salon, as do most of the Leopards.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 09:39   #11

Check out the Antares 44i. Great ventilation with large opening port lights all over👍
RichinBoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 11:37   #12
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

There are very few catamarans which have a main saloon that will feel as 'coffin-like' as on a monohull. Some cats which have staterooms forward of the saloon will have smaller/higher portlights at the front of the saloon (such as the earlier Privilege cats that you refer to, the Discovery 50 and the Gemini - which has no dedicated, forward portlights from the seating area in the saloon). Nevertheless, even these cats are typically brighter in the saloon than any monohull with the exception of some DS (deckhouse saloon) or pilothouse boats.

You should take care, however, to consider the downside to particularly large foward-facing portlights. Sun intrusion/heat has already been mentioned. If you intend to sail offshore, you should also consider the ability of large portlights in this area to withstand green water, or whether you would need to fit storm shields.

In any event, depending on the size of cat that are looking for, you should have no difficulty in finding one with large fixed portlights on both the front and sides of the main saloon, to say nothing of large sliding doors and windows into the aft cockpit.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 17:40   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Keep in mind, that with just a little bit of though, & a moderate $ outlay, you can add a couple of hatches & deck prisms which will dramatically increase the natural lighting on any vessel. Regardless of hull number, or current # of openings.

That said, other than deck prisms (which let in an amazing amount of light for their size), you need to pay attention to where you're thinking about cutting openings for hatches, so as not to create any structural weaknesses. That, & also consider if the hatch is in a location where an errant sheet or line may snag on the corner of said open hatch, & tear it off (SIC).
Plus of course the heat load considerations. And on that, there are a lot better colors than smoked, charcoal grey, which let in huge amounts of light, sans heat. Unlike the typical smoked type lenses. Manufacturers do us all a dis-service with that one.

If there are some boats which you liked, except for their natural lighting scheme, do some digging around online, & see what other folks may have done to theirs. Via pics under general searches for the boat types, but especially those which are being sold. As they tend to have a lot of interior pics of boat types X, & Y.
Including upholstery mods, & various cabinetry & trim color options too. All of which play into a vessel's feel, visually, belowdecks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 05:02   #14

Boat: Manta 40

We have a Manta 40 and love it. Lots of light and room. The 42 is the same as the 40 only they added 2 feet to the rear steps to eliminate the steeper steps on the 40. The front windows on the 42 have the horizontal shutters that keeps out the sun in the heat of the day. We have covered our windows with a white see through material that blocks 85% of the sun but you have limited visibility with it. Also, the 42s are newer. Some of the later ones have more modern/electronic engines. I have hull #52, the last 40 built. I believe the last 42 built was hull #127. There are rumors of a new 46 being built but I am not sure they are in production yet.
djtj0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 07:15   #15

As stated above most modern cats have lots of light upstairs. The newest ones are going for that 360 open feel. Downstairs light can vary a lot boat to boat, especially with older models. For older used boats the Seawind 1200 was particularly impressive with a lot of light/ big ports in the hulls. Upstairs the slider door lifts right up. We were seriously considering one of these for the open feel. For us the inside engine and downstairs galley turned out to be deal breakers though. For newer boats over 40' several builders are putting in larger ports downstairs as well. You can usually tell in the online photos/ brochures.
drewvta is offline   Reply With Quote