Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2018, 06:54   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
Catamarans Lost South Of Equ. Over Past Years

Hi, I am trying to see how many catamarans have been lost in the Southern Hemisphere over the past three years (or so). I am trying to identify a catamaran bridge-deck that has been found. The main thing is that this bridge-deck has a moulded "V" in the centre of the bridge-deck bottom. This eliminates the R&C catamaran that was lost in January 2015 as R&C cats do not have the "V" under the bridg-deck.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 07:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Catamarans Lost South Of Equ. Over Past Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Hi, I am trying to see how many catamarans have been lost in the Southern Hemisphere over the past three years (or so). I am trying to identify a catamaran bridge-deck that has been found. The main thing is that this bridge-deck has a moulded "V" in the centre of the bridge-deck bottom. This eliminates the R&C catamaran that was lost in January 2015 as R&C cats do not have the "V" under the bridg-deck.
prouts and dean cats have the V shaped nacell roughly 1.2 meters wide and about from 40cm deep at the bow to 60cm deep at the stern.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 07:36   #3

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
While I applaud any statistical analysis to a set of physical guidelines, this is just too vague for me; are we addressing the entire through hull minimum bridge deck clearance, or manufacturers' statistical statements that often provide "best along-the-way-fore-and-aft numbers? And nacelles and any potential wave-dampening effects? How about hull chine, or sailor experience? I think that this a complex issue that you are looking to relegate to too few simplified variables. Vessels LOST is easy; the WHY of it is infinitely more complex.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 07:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
While I applaud any statistical analysis to a set of physical guidelines, this is just too vague for me; are we addressing the entire through hull minimum bridge deck clearance, or manufacturers' statistical statements that often provide "best along-the-way-fore-and-aft numbers? And nacelles and any potential wave-dampening effects? How about hull chine? I think that this a complex issue that you are looking to reduce to too few simplified variables.

Really! I do not know what you had for breakfast! I am trying to find what catamaran was lost and has now washed up on a beach. What has statistics got to do with anything? I am trying to identify a wreck or part of it, with no identifiable markings on it. The bridge-deck has a moulded nacell, which eliminates most modern cat designes. I am not looking for any statistics - just a list of lost catamarans in the Southern Hemisphere over the past few years. Quite a simple question that the answer to may be able to ID the wreck!
Old 13-06-2018, 08:05   #5

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Really! I do not know what you had for breakfast! I am trying to find what catamaran was lost and has now washed up on a beach. What has statistics got to do with anything? I am trying to identify a wreck or part of it, with no identifiable markings on it. The bridge-deck has a moulded nacell, which eliminates most modern cat designes. I am not looking for any statistics - just a list of lost catamarans in the Southern Hemisphere over the past few years. Quite a simple question that the answer to may be able to ID the wreck!
Asking how many catamarans have been lost in the southern hemisphere over the past three years or so? Really? Who here keeps a record of such that you'd be asking us? The coast guards of nations concerned would be a better option, with information about when and where the wreck "washed up on the beach."
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 08:31   #6
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Asking how many catamarans have been lost in the southern hemisphere over the past three years or so? Really? Who here keeps a record of such that you'd be asking us? The coast guards of nations concerned would be a better option, with information about when and where the wreck "washed up on the beach."
/facepalm
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 08:38   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I believe he asked on the premise that someone here might come up with a name not necessarily a #. Where might help. I wonder how much growth is on it?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 08:39   #8

Boat: Farrier F-41

The Privilege (sp?) line had centre nacelles also.
Presume no tramp attachment points left? That may help in identifying.
Trying to be helpful - unlike .......
Gmcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 08:55   #9
Marine Service Provider

I do have photographs but do not have permission as yet to post them on an open forum. If I get permission, I will post them on the forum. The growth on the hull shows large and well developed mussels, which indicate it has been in relatively cold water at, I would estimate, at least two years. I am basing my guesstimate on mussel growth on the hull of the Leopard catamaran that was photographed after drifting in the southern Indian Ocean for a year and also from mussel growth of parts of MH 370 which were found after a year and a half, also drifting through the southern Indian Ocean. There appears to be a tramp rail on the forward section and it also looks like a compression spar pad on the centre of the bridge-deck.
Old 13-06-2018, 09:28   #10

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Do you have a photo of the hull you are trying to identify - it may help us help you...
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:37   #11

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Island Packet Cat 35, mid 90's have a center hull section that goes back about 1/3 of the boat.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:49   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I do have photographs but do not have permission as yet to post them on an open forum. If I get permission, I will post them on the forum. The growth on the hull shows large and well developed mussels, which indicate it has been in relatively cold water at, I would estimate, at least two years. I am basing my guesstimate on mussel growth on the hull of the Leopard catamaran that was photographed after drifting in the southern Indian Ocean for a year and also from mussel growth of parts of MH 370 which were found after a year and a half, also drifting through the southern Indian Ocean. There appears to be a tramp rail on the forward section and it also looks like a compression spar pad on the centre of the bridge-deck.
Just out of curiosity who do you need permission from, to post the pics?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:59   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

some Lagoons do have a v-shaped nascelle too...
Without a picture it is hard to tell...

could ba hurricane blown-away from a mooring / harbor vessel
Old 13-06-2018, 10:10   #14

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Permission from who? If something has washed up on a beach surely it is in the public domain, post away.

If it is on someone's private property I see how that might be a different matter.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 10:37   #15
Marine Service Provider

Permission from the photographer - he has copyright - they are not my photographs.

Tags
catamaran, lost