Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 18:25   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
Can I take my dog to pick up a new FP in France

Well just pondering if I order a new cat taking delivery in France how much red tape is there to take our Tibetian Terrior with us out of Melbourne Australia to cruise with us as he does here and of course to bring him home when we return in around 6 months time. Has any one in our group gone through this if so would much appreciate your advice.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 19:34   #2

Boat: Com-Pac Eclipse
Re: Can I take my dog to pick up a new FP in France

Assuming you're flying, why not call the airline? Once you're on the ground, you're the boss!

BTW, i'm also assuming Tibetan Terriers aren't a vicious breed, even though you spelled it wrong, there, I fixed it for you.

Seriously, once your canine is in country, what and how you deal with it is up to you. Congrats on the new boat!!!

One final note, my club doesn't allow dogs, under any circumstances, because no one wants to deal with the inevitable mess. If it stays in your vehicle, or vessel, it's your business, which is how we bring our rescue mutt along. Municipal code prohibits dogs on the beach, otherwise they're ok on a leash. Club rules are no dogs, no exceptions.

Again, congrats on the new boat. Enjoy along with the terrier. Getting it there looks like the biggest challenge.
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 19:53   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Check out the laws about re-entry to Australia for your dog. Unless things have changed I think it requires 6 months quarantine!
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 20:10   #4

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
Assuming you're flying, why not call the airline? Once you're on the ground, you're the boss!

BTW, i'm also assuming Tibetan Terriers aren't a vicious breed, even though you spelled it wrong, there, I fixed it for you.

Seriously, once your canine is in country, what and how you deal with it is up to you. Congrats on the new boat!!!

One final note, my club doesn't allow dogs, under any circumstances, because no one wants to deal with the inevitable mess. If it stays in your vehicle, or vessel, it's your business, which is how we bring our rescue mutt along. Municipal code prohibits dogs on the beach, otherwise they're ok on a leash. Club rules are no dogs, no exceptions.

Again, congrats on the new boat. Enjoy along with the terrier. Getting it there looks like the biggest challenge.
Thanks but I have not ordered a new craft yet just working through the thought of an overseas pick up.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 22:03   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

peterp, I think you need to talk to AQIS about this beforehand. My concern is that the dog will be going to countries that have rabies. The 6 months quarantine would be required to prove to AQIS that the animal hasn't acquired any communicable diseases that do not exist in Australia. However, there might be an exception, if you could demonstrate that the dog did only go from airport to boat, and remained there the whole time.....something hard to prove, I'm afraid.

But, if they have a protocol or you can work out one, and get it in writing, you MIGHT BE able to swing it. Otherwise, plan to leave the dog home, so you can enjoy it upon your return.

Do be aware that there would also be quarantine issues in French Outre-mer, and New Zealand, and both are lovely places to cruise.

Ann
Old 05-08-2018, 00:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

We were going to bring our cats over to Europe. Did all the prerequisites - shots, chip etc.. Finally we called Delta and they wanted $5,000 US to do it. We could not bring them into the cabin with us. We decided we didn’t love our cats that much and got house sitters for them instead.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:09   #7

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

As has been pointed out, you also need to check out the regulations for any country you may want to pass through on the way. You will probably find the restrictions in a number of the key South Pacific countries a serious barrier. The Caribbean will be less of an issue. This is assuming you are bringing the boat back to Australia. If you are staying in the Med, most of the countries there seem to be fairly straightforward on pets, but still check. Getting back into Australia will then be the issue.

https://www.noonsite.com/ is a good source of info for the countries you may cruise through.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:49   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
peterp, I think you need to talk to AQIS about this beforehand. My concern is that the dog will be going to countries that have rabies. Ann
France has rabies, it's rare but present and one of the reasons England has such strict quarantine rules. We can't sail from France to the UK with our dog, it has to go on a ferry not a private vessel.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:02   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think rabies ran through Europe along with the plague, a long time ago. I wouldn't trust anywhere there to be rabies free. Many mammals are susceptible to it. Squirrels and the lot.

Ann
Old 05-08-2018, 02:36   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ Yep, Oz has the reputation of having a zquillion things (mostly small) that will kill you in the bat of an eye but thankfully rabies isn't one of them.

I endorse the comment of checking with AQIS for re-entry requirements of your doggie; it may be a showstopper.

BUT if you need a dog sitter while you are away, well......................I'm here to help
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:51   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
As has been pointed out, you also need to check out the regulations for any country you may want to pass through on the way. You will probably find the restrictions in a number of the key South Pacific countries a serious barrier. The Caribbean will be less of an issue. This is assuming you are bringing the boat back to Australia. If you are staying in the Med, most of the countries there seem to be fairly straightforward on pets, but still check. Getting back into Australia will then be the issue.

https://www.noonsite.com/ is a good source of info for the countries you may cruise through.

From the OP's "bring him home when we return in around 6 months time". I'm assuming that they will be sailing around Europe/Med and flying back from there, not sailing back to Aus.

In which case, this site lists all of the requirements to bring the dog back:
Bringing cats and dogs (and other pets) to Australia

Also important additional info on this page:
https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/australia.cfm
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:06   #12

Boat: 2005, Dufour 38.5

We flew our 2 dogs over from perth. Easy to land them in europe ( greece ) and easy to move them through the eu, with a pet passport ( vet visit in greece )

Through the caribbean it seems doable beside 2 or 3 islands.

Australia, england and hawwii seem to be the most difficult places to land animals in the world.
When we left home, the vet told us to get the ball rolling with tests 6 months before you want to land them back in aus. Its a time line thing.. ie, a certain test has to be done, 2 months later another has to be done, and if a mistake in the time line you may have to start the process again. Seems it would be abit hard for such a short stay over here.
We planned todo 2-3 years then send the dogs home from the u.s
Ausluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 00:50   #13

https://www.jetpets.com.au/

These are the People you want to contact for the TRUE information
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 13:49   #14

The answer is yes, you can, but it could be difficult and expensive.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 13:51   #15

For 6 months away, it's not worth it.

Worst of all, all those injections, blood tests and time in quarantine must be unpleasant for your pets.
ozwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
France