Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 08:52   #1

BVIs. vs Grenadines

Done the BVIs last five years in Lagoon 450s and a Helia 42 once, all as captain. Did Anegada 3 of the 5 trips. Would like a change, hear great things about the Grenadines. Any pointers, tips, suggestions welcome. Thanks!
mjgriffin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 16:09   #2

Re: BVIs. vs Grenadines

I'm in the same boat, we are doing a one way from St. Lucia to the Grenada on a Moorings 4800 in Feb. I'm looking forward to some more open water sailing and the Grenadines. I post how it goes.
jcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 19:08   #3

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

I have been sailing Grenada and the Grenadines since 2001. I Charter from Horizon. Buy your food in Grenada. Sail north to Carriacou first day and clear Customs. Sail to Union Island and clear into SVG. Explore Island a bit. Next morning sail to Tobago Cays and sign in with park rangers. Go snorkelling. Depending on how much time you have you could go north to Bequia. Lovely little Island. I could expand but am typing this on my iPhone 🍹Look me up on fb. David E C Frost
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 02:33   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

The BVI and the Grenadines are quite different so you need to ask yourself what it is you like about the BVI. The BVI is very easy sailing and very easy vacationing... Wake up sail for an hour or two, pick up a mooring ball, swim, eat, drink sail for another hour to your overnight mooring ball and beachside bar and restaurant. If you want it as easy as that then stick with the BVI as there is nowhere else in the world where it is as easy.

However, if you are looking to move on and find a bit more than offered by the BVI - and the fact you are asking shows that you probably are - then the Grenadines is a great next step.

I think you may be better off starting from St Vincent rather than Grenada, flights permitting, as it can be a tough sail getting from Grenada up to Carriacou or Union island... you have a nice quiet motorsail up in the lee of Grenada then as you reach the northern tip you can quite often need a couple of reefs in the main for the next bit as you are hard on the wind with reasonable sized waves for the next 5 - 10 nm. I love Grenada, it is my favourite 'large' island in the windwards and leewards, but it may not be the best place to start your first trip away from the BVI.

If you start from St Vincent it is just a few miles easy, usually beam reach, to get to Bequia and then work your way south to the Tobago Cays and Mayreau.

I had my cat in the BVI for some 6 years and during that time I went all the way down to Grenada and back on several occasions. I then spent several months in Grenada and St Lucia prepping the boat for a world cruise so I've seen quite a bit of both the BVI and the Grenadines.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 03:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Sailing in Grenada & SVG ➥ Sailing in Grenada & SVG: Sailing Vacation Planning Resources

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 10:23   #6

Boat: Lagoon 420

We've done the islands between Grenada & St. Martin, so I'd agree with what Jeannius suggests but we haven't had trouble going from Grenada north so wouldn't worry too much about that.

I wouldn't anchor anywhere on St. Vincent except Blue Lagoon for safety/security reasons. Bequia, Tobago Cays, Union Island, Petit St. Vincent, Petit Martinique, etc. all recommended. Get Chris Doyle's cruising guide for sure and he covers all the details.

We will be in the BVI's the end of January this year, so looking forward to testing some new territory.

Have fun!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:45   #7

Boat: none yet :(

Actually, I have the same dilemma of departing from Grenada vs St.Vincent. The additional 'pro' for Grenada were recent safety incidents in St.Vincent. Haven't been there before. Any recent unpleasant experiences?
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 19:26   #8

Dear All, I will be in Grenada for a week with family. Have been in BVI couple times ( fantastic time ), Croatia and Bahamas ( Abacus ). All phenomenal places with their own unique wonders. We will have 7 days in departing from Grenada. IF you have recommendations for sure Dos and Don'ts would be very appreciated. Despite Bequia being a gorgeous place, we are not planing to go there this time.
Thank you much.
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote