Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 05:39   #31

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Best watermaker for a Catamaran

One very important attribute that you need to also consider which I don't believe that anyone has mentioned yet is how much noise or conversely how quiet the desalinator is while it is running.

This is a very important thing to consider as some brands are quite noisy. Believe me a noisy system will drive you & your guests crazy especially when you go on board another vessel which has a quiet system installed.

Another important feature is for the unit to do automatic freshwater backwash cycles especially when you are not on the boat which usually takes place about every 5 days. This overcomes the need to pickle your system full of chemicals if your boat will not be idle for a long period.

My vote goes for Spectra systems & I have experience with the Newport Mk II which I found to be a great system & also met the two criteria I mentioned above as well as producing over 40 GPH.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 14:43   #32

Re: Best watermaker for a Catamaran

How loud are the 12v models. Is is something that can be left running during the day without too much noise in the boat. My planned set up is 1000w solar and water maker in the engine compartment of a privilege 465. I have read about the clicking of the spectra 12v.
canadian cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 15:02   #33

Boat: Currently boatless

We loved our CruiseRO and as for "is it noisy" I would say "quieter than the generator we ran to operate it"

We used a Honda 2000.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 17:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
We loved our CruiseRO and as for "is it noisy" I would say "quieter than the generator we ran to operate it"

We used a Honda 2000.
My goal is to not have a generator, but a lot of solar

My thinking is if the WM is quite enough with DC power just let it run most days.

What are peoples thoughts is 1000w of solar enough for fridges and WM?
canadian cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 18:20   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best watermaker for a Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian cat View Post

My thinking is if the WM is quite enough with DC power just let it run most days.

What are peoples thoughts is 1000w of solar enough for fridges and WM?

If D.C., then the best option is a Spectra, nothing makes nearly as much water for so little energy.
The Cruise RO by comparison is an energy hog, however what you get is simple design and easily available parts and relatively low costs, you sacrifice efficiency for that though, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

I have a kilowatt of Solar and it's not enough, however I think it's like money, if I increased your budget, odds are you would spend it, so for most a kilowatt is plenty for a Spectra, maybe not for a less efficient machine.
Obviously AC or D C has nothing to do with efficiency, pumping water at around 800 PSI does. Spectra has an elegant expensive solution, Cruise RO a simple inexpensive one.

It seems the decision is to have a generator or not, if not then go with a Spectra, if your going with a genny, you have power to waste, then go with a Cruise RO.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 18:36   #36
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Can't imagine needing 1000 watts of solar. On our old Seawind 240 watts would cover refrigeration freezer and all lights plus some tv at night. On our present catamaran we have the same dc draw, but with 500 watts of solar which has somewhat of a shading problem and the batteries still float by 12::00-1:00 pm. But then again, I guess the more the better.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:53   #37

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian cat View Post
Great goal. I was actually responding to the OP though who has a generator.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:10   #38
Marine Service Provider

I have a new Sea Recovery , aquamatic , 142lt per hour.
220v/110
New in box , comes with commercial pre filters, etc.
Send me a msg if your interested.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:16   #39

I have an Aquatec and have been happy with it

http://www.aquatec-watermaker.de/home_E.html#
Old 10-06-2017, 14:12   #40

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Two things to consider is noise, and fuel consumption. Before going good with an account powered unit, I'd find a boat that has the same unit and see how loud it is. Even if the rules time is halved by a higher output ac system, your enjoyment may be "halved" by how loud it can be. Also,many more options for powering a 12v system without the added cost of burning diesel.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 16:09   #41

Boat: Robertsen & Caine Leopard 45

Can anyone give me some feedback on the noise level of a cruise RO AC Watermaker please?
rdomaleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 16:35   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdomaleski View Post
Can anyone give me some feedback on the noise level of a cruise RO AC Watermaker please?

Likely never hear it over the generator, assuming you mount the HP pump away from living space.
Not trying to be sarcastic, but it is an AC unit that should really only seriously be considered with a generator from my understanding, not that you couldn't run it maybe with a huge amount of Solar and a big enough bank, but you would be better off with a Spectra if that is your goal.
The other consideration of course is it's making 30+ gl an hour if you buy the most popular model, so it isn't running all day.
Old 10-06-2017, 17:11   #43

Boat: Robertsen & Caine Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Likely never hear it over the generator, assuming you mount the HP pump away from living space.
Not trying to be sarcastic, but it is an AC unit that should really only seriously be considered with a generator from my understanding, not that you couldn't run it maybe with a huge amount of Solar and a big enough bank, but you would be better off with a Spectra if that is your goal.
The other consideration of course is it's making 30+ gl an hour if you buy the most popular model, so it isn't running all day.
My plan is to mount the AC pump in the front Lazarette of my Leopard next to the generator, not near the living area. Pump would be running when I run my genny
rdomaleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 18:17   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdomaleski View Post
My plan is to mount the AC pump in the front Lazarette of my Leopard next to the generator, not near the living area. Pump would be running when I run my genny

My plan as well, I'll let you know how it went in a few months.
However as these things are very similar to a pressure washer, I doubt it's any noisier than my electric 3,000 PSI pressure washer was.
I'd honestly expect as it's only 800 ish PSI to be quieter.
I will be very surprised if it can hear it over my generator, although I really don't hear it either, only really feel it if I lay my head against the bulkhead or hull.
Surprisingly though if I dive the boat with the generator running, it's horribly loud.
Old 10-06-2017, 19:40   #45

Starry Horizons installed a CruiseRO and show a bit of install and operation in a YouTube video. Here's the link.

Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, water, watermaker