Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 06:00   #1

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
Am I Crazy? Is it Cheaper to...

Am I crazy or is it cheaper to buy a Cat in Europe and sail it back to the US? Can I save money buy doing this?
Thanks for any advice!
Cheers!
Denvermike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I don't know but I certainly will be watching to see what comes up. I'd be willing to try an atlantic crossing to save a bundle but I'm afraid it's all relative. VAT tax and all added to the price of a boat, the hassle of flying over there, the paperwork to transfer etc. vs. buying it in the Carib already to go crusing and certainly not having to deal with EU. I don't know but I'm watching.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:43   #3
jkd

I have been watching the prices on cats for awhile now myself and there does seem to be the "delivery charge" tacked on to a lot of the boats on this side of the pond. (just look at the prices of European boats in Australia to see the price increases)
My concern is getting tied up in an EU country while trying to get the survey, paperwork etc done without several round trip airfare tickets and expensive hotel accommodations eating into the budget. Nothing ever goes as fast as originally planned! Of course there is also the hassle of trying to line up several boats you want to look at on one trip over. Then you either ship all the goodies to the boat that you need to take on the crossing (tools you might already have etc) or purchase there and possibly end up with duplicates or items of Euro manufacturer that might cost more to have repaired or covered on warranty if you are going to spend some time in the states before kicking off. (this is probably not such an issue if you plan on hitting the Carib and just keep going afterwards)
Overall I would consider doing it if I could be assured that the boat or boats were "as advertised" before jumping across to look and possibly buy. Too many brokers seem to post old pics and what you see when you get there may not be what you thought you were going to see.
The last item is with a purchase in Euro's (or other currency), you are going to need to check on the expense of currency conversion.

Good hunting,

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:04   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
I don't know but I certainly will be watching to see what comes up. I'd be willing to try an atlantic crossing to save a bundle but I'm afraid it's all relative. VAT tax and all added to the price of a boat, the hassle of flying over there, the paperwork to transfer etc. vs. buying it in the Carib already to go crusing and certainly not having to deal with EU. I don't know but I'm watching.

If you export a new boat from Europe you don't pay the VAT. You have to leave EU water within either 3 or 6 months though - not sure which it is.

Good fun doing the Atlantic crossing.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38   #5

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
thanks for that bit of info... I'm really dumb when it comes to all the taxes, reg to a person or corp, etc. and trying to figure out who has their hand out for more money.
LoL
Old 04-05-2010, 11:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Don't forget the electrical side will be 220-240 volt and not suitable for your 110 volt systems. Depending which country you buy her in, she may require de-registering and the ships manuals might come in French or even Greek

3 Years ago friends bought a Whitby 42 in the US because it was worth there time sailing her home and replacing the 110 volt kit. Is there really that much of a saving to be made?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:01   #7

Boat: none...
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The Euro is now 1.30 usd in Dec it was 1.50 usd. For a 400eur boat in Dec it would of cost you 600k now it will cost you 520k.

So let me get this straight? if a us citz gets the boat out of European waters there is no vat charged? the vat thing always confused me.
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 15:32   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
There are also areas of broken dreams. Where divorces occur. Boats are left behind. The west coast of Mexico, Asia, including the Caribbean........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:08   #9

Euro

Now euro is 128.5 and free falling;

that 400k EUR boat which was about 600k in dec and 520kusd yesterday is 514k today.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31   #10

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
There are also areas of broken dreams. Where divorces occur. Boats are left behind. The west coast of Mexico, Asia, including the Caribbean........i2f
...all over the Chesapeake...
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:41   #11

Boat: Purchasing a 40-44' Cat
cdennyb- I was thinking the samething however there are some without the VAT tax. Maybe we will get lucky and find someone who has done this.

jdk- I am noticing that alot of pictures are old or the advertise a 2007 but copied the 2009 manufactures pictures instead. I hate that!!!!

Pete7- Very good point on the 220. Wonder if you could use those travel adapters?

i2f- Love to find one of those broken dreams... heard some killer deals can come from thoughs!

Thank you all!
Denvermike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 17:58   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
If you buy a new boat in the EU you can get the VAT refunded or in some cases where a scheme exists , not pay the VAT in the first place. This does not applly to secondhand boats.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 18:16   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
DenverMike --

With the dropping Euro, the prices of Euro boats are definitely looking better. Like having a 15% price reduction without even making an offer! Some of this depends on your intended use. If you're looking at long cruises, like a circumnavigation, then the 220 volt issue is less of a concern. You'll be dealing with the problem in one place or another, no matter what.

If you're looking at being more in 110 volt area, then it makes more sense to look for a 110 volt boat. They are easier to convert to use an isolation/step-up/step-down transformer for use in 220 areas, since the gauge of the wiring on your boat will be heavier for the 110. The same is not true in reverse (unless the factory put in the heavier gauge wire for all boats they make). Then, you only have to worry about whether your appliance is 50hz and 60hz compatible -- many are! Many aren't.

Good luck in your search.

ID

P.S. The only problem with the currency conversion is this: The Euro has dropped, quickly. It can go back up quickly, too! You might make an offer thinking about the conversion, today, but find it has changed by the time closing comes around. Therefore, you might make the offer in USD and let the seller take the gamble in the currency market.

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:18   #14

Euro still crashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Now euro is 128.5 and free falling;

that 400k EUR boat which was about 600k in dec and 520kusd yesterday is 514k today.
yesterday that 400eur boat cost 514k usd today its 509800.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:47   #15

update

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
yesterday that 400eur boat cost 514k usd today its 509800.

a half hour later now its worth $508000 at this rate it will be free in about a week

Tags
buying