Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2006, 05:19   #16

There was an Outremer that pitchpoled and then broke up off the coast of Europe last April. Sorry I don't have any links or further details.
Old 20-12-2006, 13:37   #17

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52
OREGON / Search ended for lost sailors

OREGON / Search ended for lost
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 00:34   #18

Boat: Looking for a new boat
When these men set out to sea it was safe to say that they had taken into account what the sea can have in store for any of us. And having thought that through made a choice to live a life less conventional than most. That in itself is an act of bravery.

When I read things like this I try to take solice in the fact that hopefully before their time came came each man had a chance to reflect on their lives and the beautiful things that they had done. And in the case of seagoing men those beautiful things are always more numerous than those of someone who has made the choice of a life full comfort and boredom.

I always think of the saying ashes to ashes and dust to dust. This is meant to give people who live on land a feeling of comfort; comfort in knowing that they will return to their place of origin. That is where the fear of the sea comes from. It is so foriegn. I try not to think of that saying when stories like this scare me. I try instead think of how we all come from the sea. Ocean to ocean, sea to sea.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 01:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I find it noteworthy that neither Voyage Yachts nor Reliance Yacht Management mention the loss of “Cat Shot” and crew, on their web-sites.

Voyage ~ VOYAGE yachts
Reliance ~ Reliance Yacht Management

Cruising World Overall and Multihull Boat of the Year Awards (2002)
Cruising World - Voyage 440

The Coast Guard is asking that anyone who may have seen this vessel (Voyage 440 - “Cat Shot”) in transit from San Francisco please contact Coast Guard District 13 Command Center at 1-800-982-8813.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 16:09   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
Gord, Voyage Yachts Has informed the Voyage Family of owners of this very sad outcome. We are all heartsick right now and thinking of the familys of the lost crew.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2006, 20:23   #21

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
As an owner of a catamaran, and a sailor who loves the sea, these stories, like those of airplane accidents (also a pilot) are always a sobering reminder of a few facts: the force of nature is not to be taken lightly, wind and weather, water and wave are forces beyond fighting. Life is short no matter how long we live. Knowlege is power, planning is supremely important, and lastly, sh*t happens. I too hope the sailors had time to reflect on their accomplishments. My condolences to their families and friends. Be careful, but don't let fear keep you out of life.
Old 24-12-2006, 02:40   #22

Is the Voyage 440 the same design as the Noresman 43 that Richard Woods was so critical about (for burying its bows)? Looks very similar.
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 05:14   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67
I always think of the saying ashes to ashes and dust to dust. This is meant to give people who live on land a feeling of comfort; comfort in knowing that they will return to their place of origin. That is where the fear of the sea comes from. It is so foriegn. I try not to think of that saying when stories like this scare me. I try instead think of how we all come from the sea. Ocean to ocean, sea to sea.
Interesting point about dying at sea. I have considered the possibility, especially when working under another captain aboard a vessel that is on an owner's schedule. Since I have drowned before as a child, I do recall what that was like. It was surprisingly calm once you are underwater and breathing the water. I drifted off (out of conciousness) and next thing I knew I was on the beach upside down with water spraying out of my mouth. There is no pain. We all have to go sometime. Best that they were doing something they loved rather than clutching their chests while sitting at a desk and keeling over.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 13:31   #24

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Dick
Is the Voyage 440 the same design as the Noresman 43 that Richard Woods was so critical about (for burying its bows)? Looks very similar.
Both boats were designed by Alexander Simonis. I believe they are slightly different though only by very small increments. Where did you here about Woods' criticism? In an article?
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 17:57   #25

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Parachute sea anchor chainplates

We used a parachute sea anchor only one time during our circumnavigation in our Privilege 39 Catamaran when we were 300 miles north of New Zealand in a storm.

To prevent breakage and damage to the parachute sea anchor bridle, we installed 24 inch chainlplates in the deck at the bows, and we welded large bails to the chainplates so that the bales protruded in front of the bows. We then attached the sea anchor bridle by a d-shackles to the bales. That eliminated all chafe on the bridle and we could lay to our sea anchor indefinitely without worrying about chafe or cleats coming out of the deck.

When it's time to deploy a sea anchor, you need a deployment that is chafe free and it needs to be attached to strong points that can't be pulled out of the deck or crossbeam. Our parachute anchor chainplates are bulletproof because they are through bolted with four large bolts.

Parachutes work well as long as you can solve the problem of chafe and if you have points of attachment that are indestructible.

Dave Abbott
sv Exit Only

maxingout.com
positivegraphics.com

Cheers
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 16:20   #26

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
There is a time and place for everything. December in a sailboat between San Francisco and Seattle and climbing Mt Hood are places where, regardless of your experience or preperation, you are putting your life at extreme risk as well as those good souls who will risk theirs to effect a rescue. Shame.
Howard Gladman
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 16:38   #27

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout
To prevent breakage and damage to the parachute sea anchor bridle, we installed 24 inch chainlplates in the deck at the bows, When it's time to deploy a sea anchor, you need a deployment that is chafe free and it needs to be attached to strong points that can't be pulled out of the deck or crossbeam. Our parachute anchor chainplates are bulletproof because they are through bolted with four large bolts.
Had bolt on's on the last cat, and this time wer'e giving carbon fibre a go.

No through bolt's == no leak's ........ever.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0282.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0281.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	705  

Old 26-12-2006, 05:02   #28

Voyage 440/Norseman 43

I have seen several references by Richard Woods in his annual newsletters. Here is an example from the FAQ on his website Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans

"I have pushed catamarans hard in races over the years, but until sailing the Norseman never had any worries about nose-diving. In a squall we had the rudders out of the water and the bows under until the maststep was in the water. After that we sailed very cautiously."

Also see the incident in this race report:

Cape to Rio 2000 race report by Woods Designs
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 08:01   #29

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I've been aboard both boats, the norseman had very fine bows, much finer than that of the voyage. I'm not a marine architect, but it was very noticeable on the norseman and the voyage seem to have much more significant flare above the water line for more bouyancy towards the bow.

The norseman also had a very small amount of underwater clearance with a cross bar at the lowest point providing an flat vertical service which waves would hit, a problem which the voyage 440 has eliminated. I think the voyage is well regarded as a well designed boat, and not just for having won boat of the year.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 08:11   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
hglad is absolutely correct -- that stretch of coast at this time of the year is a very dangerous place. I recall looking at the buoy data as the storm was coming to shore that day -- 40 to 60 footers off Aberdeen WA. This storm (the worst around here since the '93 Inauguration Day Storm) was developing for days in advance and the forecasts were quite accurate both for the direction and intensity. People who sail around here only in summer can be terribly mislead by those mild conditions. The OR/WA coast is a nasty place in winter. As eskfreedom mentioned, not even the crabbers were going out.

I haven't seen it mentioned so far, but from the photos it looks like they lost their port rudder. IIRC, the Voyage has skeg-hung rudders and it looks like only the port skeg is left.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote