Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 09:37   #16

Boat: Catana 471
Re: 4 ft seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
high bridge deck is not necessary good in all conditions. in storm conditions this type of cat is not stable.
I would advise newbie readers here trying to gather knowledge for their own future cat acquisition to disregard the above statement. It was in reference to bridgedeck clearance off the water, not bridgedeck height. Stability of any cat, whether in storm conditions or not, has many variables, bridgedeck clearance in itself not being a significant one.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 11:02   #17

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
I would advise newbie readers here trying to gather knowledge for their own future cat acquisition to disregard the above statement. It was in reference to bridgedeck clearance off the water, not bridgedeck height. Stability of any cat, whether in storm conditions or not, has many variables, bridgedeck clearance in itself not being a significant one.

2 Hulls Dave

i have not experienced these conditions in narrow hulled boat but based on reports from owner handling 10m stormy seas as he was pointing out this weakness. Also south african cats have low bridge deck because lots of wind there. This is from my research back then...

of course everyone should do their own research, best try, as there is too many strong opinions that sometimes have no connection to reality.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 15:54   #18

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I was thinking just the opposite as far as weekend warriors/coastal cruisers go.

Some of us weekend warriors turn a " breezy" day with 3'-5' waves into an adventure since we only have to deal with the conditions for a much shorter period than a long distance cruiser would have to.

Example, last time I came back South across the Chesapeake Bay from Kiptopeke (18 miles as the crow flies) the winds were SE at around 22 knots which means the wave were coming in from the Atlantic and becoming closely spaced bay waves. I had to beat into them but fell off the wind quite a bit to make headway.

The first tack of 4 hours was westerly just to reposition myself on the other side of the bay as the wind was rotating that way. When I tacked, I was set. It was that or bob around all day at a bad anchorage waiting for the wind to clock around then cross.

It wasn't the smoothest ride, but a breakfast beer seemed to help. Also, once the Bristol gets heeled over to a certain point it will then cruise along pretty good.
Good Point. Thats why I used the term Ying Yang in my post. :-)

Some people want the rush while others want the unspilt wine and crackers.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote