Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 18:41   #1

Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

I keep seeing beautiful wood boats in my price range. Even if I find a well kept 50s or 60's era wood hull, will I regret it?

The Girlfriends dad teaches at a wood boatbuilding school, and of course thinks wood is far better.

I'd be afraid a seam would leak and sink it a the mooring, or a unseen cracked rib would make it come apart in the worst seas.

How much more work and expense is it really?

Thinking something like this.. Am I crazy? Or could it be a great way o get cruising inexpensively and in style?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/boa/3745587941.html
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:53   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

When you see a beautiful girl apparently available for a relatively cheap price, you have to ask yourself if this is love or lust? Get to know her first!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Wooden/Timber boats are great for Northern climes where the boats usually get hauled and salted for the worst months giving one time to tend to things... there's more maintenance involved on the cosmetic side but if she's been looked after right..
Mind... I'm talking Clinker and Strip planked.. not so much the ply boats.. the main thing that kills wooden boats is Tropic climes...
Bumma Huh..?

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:59   #4

Would be mostly a Lake Mi boat...so no salt here to preserve the wood... But not sure how much difference that really makes.

Good point about the yearly. Haul outs.
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:00   #5

If you have to ask about expense, if it is a concern, then wood boat maintenance is out of your league. Consider a life consisting of painting, varnishing, panic over bits of water in the hull, replacing little odd bits of rotting wood, and on and on.

If ya got the bank and time, do it. They are wonderfully romantic.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:03   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Wood boats are wonderful! They have a life all there own ! Some of the best days ive spent at sea, were aboard wooden boats ! BUT the reason you keep seeing these fine boats is because someone is constantly working on them to keep them that way ! Wooden boat require a special kind of owner, he either has to have BIG check book, and be a craftsman working with wood !Or just be a GREAT wooden boat craftsman! It takes a big desire to own a wooden boat because of the time and effort that it takes keep them up !! All ya have to do is go to a cheaper marina and you can see all the wood boats that don't look as good and some that have just about went away!! of course ya can see steel, glass, and alloy boats that look good and bad also, but wood means work ! if ya have the heart and the craftsmanship, and or the big ck book then wooden boats are the way to go !! Just my 2 cents, and I love wooden boats, but own a glass one !
Old 16-04-2013, 19:07   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

If you're not into carpentry/sanding/varnishing and/or have limited time for maintenance, run don't walk (away) and look instead at fiberglass boats.

But if you lust at the sight of brightwork and have the time/interest (or enough money to hire someone else to maintain it), go for it.

It's all about you.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:08   #8

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sail View Post
I keep seeing beautiful wood boats in my price range. Even if I find a well kept 50s or 60's era wood hull, will I regret it?

The Girlfriends dad teaches at a wood boatbuilding school, and of course thinks wood is far better.

I'd be afraid a seam would leak and sink it a the mooring, or a unseen cracked rib would make it come apart in the worst seas.

How much more work and expense is it really?

Thinking something like this.. Am I crazy? Or could it be a great way o get cruising inexpensively and in style?

Collectible Swedish Mahogany Ohlson 36 Sloop (Sailboat)
YES. YOU WOULD REGRET IT. YOUR HEART WOULD BE BROKEN, Your pocket would be broke.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:11   #9

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Well said, Pelagic! As a kid, I used to play around wooden skiffs owned by local fishermen, near Alexandria - Egypt. These skiffs always required water bailout as they leaked, and the ribs always needed repair as they loosened during each fishing journey. Before deciding which hull type to purchase, browse boatyards for old boats with different hull builds. Ask old salts about their opinions. You will get a good picture on what seems to require less maintenance and upkeep; I'll reserve my judgement.
In a similar situation before investing in SCUBA gear, decades ago I checked several dive shops' rental gear. It didn't take me long to form an opinion about which brand to purchase; my SCUBA gear lasted 20+ years (1500+ dives), before it was time to replace it. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:12   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Forget my prior advice. I just looked that that ad.

Do you have great wood working and finishing skills, and about a man-year to devote? If not, do you have about $50-100+K to have someone else restore her?

If not, yes it will break you.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:17   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sail View Post
I keep seeing beautiful wood boats in my price range.
You wouldn't generalize about fiberglass boats, so why generalize about wood?

Some are fabulous, and well worth their upkeep. Others are crap.

The only problem is if you cannot distinguish between the two.
Old 16-04-2013, 19:23   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
YES. YOU WOULD REGRET IT. YOUR HEART WOULD BE BROKEN, Your pocket would be broke.

Where I am we have salt water territo worms (think of them as water-going termites who think your boat is yummy!). A wooden boat here sank not once but twice from them. The second time, the owner threw in the towel and hauled it away, using airbags, for salvage. She was once a beautiful boat, and it was sad to see.

I bet fresh water has similar critters. If it does -- you have to take care of that boat below the waterline scrupulously.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:25   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You wouldn't generalize about fiberglass boats, so why generalize about wood?

Some are fabulous, and well worth their upkeep. Others are crap.

The only problem is if you cannot distinguish between the two.
Oh…. come on Bash… Wood is more beautiful than plastic.

It is alive, it has character and identity, feels warm to the touch and each piece has a story hidden within.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:45   #14

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Oh…. come on Bash… Wood is more beautiful than plastic.

It is alive, it has character and identity, feels warm to the touch and each piece has a story hidden within.
Wood was alive before being cut down. It has character and identity, and is perfectly appropriate for interior paneling. Hulls? Not so much.

That warmth you feel from the wood hull is water making its way through the planks, which are rotting away after the teredo has had his way with the once-lovely hull of your beloved vessel. Oh, and that teredo can tell you stories - if you can get him to pause between bites....

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 20:04   #15

I have friend who keeps a very nice and well maintaned 50' wooden powerboat on the chesapeake He spends $15000 a year on upkeep
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, hull