Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 20:38   #16

Boat: Mac 26X
Even the generalizations in this thread are generalized. There are people who spend $15I maintaining plastic boats too, Sooooooo that info is silly and useless. Sooooooo is...I know a guy who's wood boat was eaten by worms....

Boats were made of wood as a rule for all of history until AFTER most of us were born. It's so tedious to say all these silly things bad about boats based on their materials. There are good and bad wood, fiberglass, ferro cement, steel, carbon fiber and paper boats. The issue is: what do you want? Then find a good one of those!

As for me, I build and as a rule use wood covered in epoxy/fiberglass. But I wouldn't buy a boat based just on hull material (or write one off)
Old 16-04-2013, 20:46   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Would I regret buying a Wood hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Even the generalizations in this thread are generalized. There are people who spend $15I maintaining plastic boats too, Sooooooo that info is silly and useless. Sooooooo is...I know a guy who's wood boat was eaten by worms....

Boats were made of wood as a rule for all of history until AFTER most of us were born. It's so tedious to say all these silly things bad about boats based on their materials. There are good and bad wood, fiberglass, ferro cement, steel, carbon fiber and paper boats. The issue is: what do you want? Then find a good one of those!

As for me, I build and as a rule use wood covered in epoxy/fiberglass. But I wouldn't buy a boat based just on hull material (or write one off)

Sorry, but the fact that wooden boats can be eaten by worms is important and points to the need for meticulous maintenance -- something I said in the post. Others made the point, too.

And, just because wood has been largely replaced by something else doesn't make the wood superior.

If you like wood, great -- get yourself a wooden boat, and I'm sure we'll all admire it. But wood does have its drawbacks and it does no harm to point some of the problems out. Is it more beautiful than fiberglass? If the wood is in poor shape and the fiberglass very well maintained -- no. But it can be spectacular.

I'm sure the hull material was just one thing the OP was considering. Probably the question about the hull reflects ... something he needed opinions about.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 21:20   #18

Get girlfriend's dad involved in your decision. You could develop a real bond there and learn a lot. Wooden boats have soul.......you have to love them and tend to them.......you have to have someone in your life to teach you how.......
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 21:37   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

You can do this, get the father to be your partner or adviser and save this wonderful (sometime problematic)sailing yacht..She sure is nice looking and you would be the envy of all boats where ever she sails good luck...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 22:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
As for me, I build and as a rule use wood covered in epoxy/fiberglass.
Well ... Yes ... Covering a wood boat in fiberglass makes a world of difference. The difference in longevity might be centuries, the results are not yet in.

By that measure my boat is a wooden boat. By volume of material wood far exceeds fiberglass. She is balsa core and laminated plywood interior. I'll never have worms or need new screws or planks.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 23:55   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Not with that much &^r@ wood!

If you must buy a wooden boat get something that will fit in your girlfriend's dad's garage. Say about 14 - 16 ft.

And something without sails.

Should keep him happy and then you can ...

... put put about the lake on those rare gorgeous summer days.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 00:01   #22
Marine Service Provider

$$$$

4....99.9% of the people on this forum, I will say yes go plastic.

For the .09% that actually care, and take care of their boats...then it doesn't matter.

The hull is but 1 % of actual annual maintenance.

So if you can't take care of wood, then, you can't take care of plastic..steel...or, alum..In the end it really doesn't matter.

plastic/wood/steel/alum... we still have all, of the same on-board systems .

The hull is the least of our worries!

Unless, you, the unfortunate soul, purchased based on costs v. soul.

Cheap=bad value

Frugal=A smart Chance!!!

now we walk the fine line between cheap and frugal....

FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 00:14   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well...I personally do not find any reason not to try it...ya I know...call me stupid.... But if thats all you can afford...then that's all you can afford. Lets say you find a mid 50s to early 60s 38ft. woodie for $15,000. If it passes a survey for what it is, then why not? Lets say you got 5 good years out of her...What's wrong with that? At least you're doing your thing. I have build 3 steel sailboats. Two of them, my own. I would have been better off with a cheap woodie.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 00:24   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I have friend who keeps a very nice and well maintaned 50' wooden powerboat on the chesapeake He spends $15000 a year on upkeep

I KEEP, FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS, a 52 FOOT WOODEN HULL........and no way do I spend 15 k annually for the hull.........hell I haven't spent 15 K in the 15 years I've owned her, for hull repair, as matter of fact I haven't spent 1K..... in the total of 15 years that I owned her.

Lloyd
Old 17-04-2013, 00:30   #25

Boat: Ericson 35-2

It's quite simple really. Wooden boat will require noticeably more time to keep up than a fiberglass boat of similar size. And if you fail to maintain her for several months, a fiberglass boat will show it cosmetically, but tolerate it structurally. A wooden boat will simply die.

So, as a first boat, wooden hull a big mistake in my opinion. Unless it's a discardable plywood dinghy, like a Mirror or something.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 00:45   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
It's quite simple really. Wooden boat will require noticeably more time to keep up than a fiberglass boat of similar size. And if you fail to maintain her for several months, a fiberglass boat will show it cosmetically, but tolerate it structurally. A wooden boat will simply die.

So, as a first boat, wooden hull a big mistake in my opinion. Unless it's a discardable plywood dinghy, like a Mirror or something.
RED-Herring=RedHearing
Old 17-04-2013, 01:00   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
So if you can't take care of wood, then, you can't take care of plastic..steel...or, alum..In the end it really doesn't matter.
Not so sure about that.
Having owned both wooden boats and fiberglass boats, I'd say there is a big difference in maintenance.
A woodie will self-destruct if not maintained and it is easy to become a slave of the boat, been there done that and it won't happen again

Sure they are nice to look at, they sail good and they have souls and all that, but the reason I sail is to get to the islands, get in touch with nature and to relax, not to worry about the boat and the expenses to maintain it.
A friend has kept a wooden boat in Florida for 9 years without doing much maintenance except regular hauouts. It tried to sink at the dock 4 times and only shallow waters kept it from disappearing for good.
He finally sold it for 10% of what he got into it, $90K down the drain, ask him about woodies...

Your mileage may vary and if you are a carpenter with tools and time, it could be a fun hobby.
If not, think twice before you get a wooden boat.
Old 17-04-2013, 01:58   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Not so sure about that.
Having owned both wooden boats and fiberglass boats, I'd say there is a big difference in maintenance.
A woodie will self-destruct if not maintained and it is easy to become a slave of the boat, been there done that and it won't happen again

Sure they are nice to look at, they sail good and they have souls and all that, but the reason I sail is to get to the islands, get in touch with nature and to relax, not to worry about the boat and the expenses to maintain it.
A friend has kept a wooden boat in Florida for 9 years without doing much maintenance except regular hauouts. It tried to sink at the dock 4 times and only shallow waters kept it from disappearing for good.
He finally sold it for 10% of what he got into it, $90K down the drain, ask him about woodies...

Your mileage may vary and if you are a carpenter with tools and time, it could be a fun hobby.
If not, think twice before you get a wooden boat.
WELL, you said a mouth full

Quote:
I sail is to get to the islands, get in touch with nature and to relax, not to worry about the boat and the expenses to maintain it.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:05   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
I KEEP, FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS, a 52 FOOT WOODEN HULL........and no way do I spend 15 k annually for the hull.........hell I haven't spent 15 K in the 15 years I've owned her, for hull repair, as matter of fact I haven't spent 1K..... in the total of 15 years that I owned her.

Lloyd
Old 17-04-2013, 06:31   #30

Gordo. I gave one example of the upkeep on a large wooden boat talk about silly statement U. Espouse the virtues o f wooden boats and then you state you cover yours with fiberglass and expoxy. Now.that.is.funny. the undeniable fact is I wood hull will take much much more updates on a fiberglass hull.
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, hull