Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 15:18   #211
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: World's Largest Sailing Yacht A

On the choosing Final Exterior for a project, it is not unusual for the whole design team to be given a shot at their own concept.

Naval Architect, Structural Architect, Interior designer and Project manager.

Whichever one catches the Clients eye, gets the credit.

Normally it is the Interior Designer as they are less constrained by practicalities.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 15:44   #212
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Hi ken,

Now that it is winter and you are in, or close to Italy, don't miss going to Modena, the Ferrari house, to have a look at the fantastic Ferrari museum and most of all, driving a Ferrari. In winter they make special prices and it costs about 100 euros or so.

I have done that some few years ago. Have a look:
https://www.facebook.com/paulo.perna...8744937599406/
Paolo,

No need to travel all the way over to Modena, all my wife and I need to do is walk across the driveway and open up our garage.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 16:06   #213
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Yes an no. The Superbird was a racing car and its looks were different from the road car. The Daytona was not a racing car even if some few cars were prepared by the factory as race cars. By the way, also a Pininfarina design and obviously designed to please the eye and that's why they used a designer (even two) for the looks:

Dodge Charger Daytona
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 17:23   #214

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Paolo,

No need to travel all the way over to Modena, all my wife and I need to do is walk across the driveway and open up our garage.
What do you have there?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 17:34   #215

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
World's Largest Sailing Yacht A

1963 most popular European race car

http://lovebugfans.net/images/herbiethelovebug2.jpg
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 17:35   #216
cruiser

Quote:
What do you have there?
308GTSi and a 400i with a V12 Daytona engine. Wish now we'd bought the Daytona, Dino 246 or a 512BB, all within reach back then. The Dino 246 was actually half the price I paid for the 308 back in 1983.
Old 15-12-2016, 20:40   #217

Quote:
308GTSi and a 400i with a V12 Daytona engine.
Magnum PI
Old 15-12-2016, 22:31   #218

Quote:
308GTSi and a 400i with a V12 Daytona engine. Wish now we'd bought the Daytona, Dino 246 or a 512BB, all within reach back then. The Dino 246 was actually half the price I paid for the 308 back in 1983.
I recall that back in the early 80s some guys I knew were making good $$ on the grey car market. They were selling a new $25K Vette in Europe for the equivalent of $50K and bringing back 2 Ferraris with that money which they would sell here for about $50K each. Nice quadrupling of your investment. The Feds would soon crack down on this practice by regular sellers but for a few years some quick money was made.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 22:54   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, US cars of the 70's were horrible monstrosities, we needed to have our Butts handed to us, and it was,on a platter . Since before the beginning of the 21st Centruy that hasn't been true anymore.
It's the Korean cars that in my opinion are the new Japanese cars, by that I mean best value, you get more for your money there than anywhere.
They are US manufactured, as are a great many of the European cars that are in the US as well as the Japanese cars.
I believe the Prius is the only Toyota you can buy in the US that is actually manufactured in Japan, and that may not be true anymore, but was in 2010.
Also, here in US we were used to the same manufacturer, say GM churning out 3 tier cars - plain vanilla Chevys and Buicks, mid tier Olds and Pontiacs and higher tier Caddys. In Europe this 3 tier system was done with same name badge, say Mercedes Benz with their C, E and S classes. So now the gullible public when buying "not made in Germany" C-class are thinking that they're getting a "German car". I firmly believe that as in boats so in cars (and in all of the products for that matter) the country of manufacture should be boldly displayed on all of the paperwork. Then we will really know the relative quality of all makes and models. But alas, the businesses have lobbied this requirement practically out of existence.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 08:33   #220

Quote:
Nice to know you are a collector But even if those cars offer a nice and glamorous ride they have nothing to do with what you can try on Maranello. There you can ride babies like this:

With around 600hp and clutch changes at the wheel.

I can tell you it is worth the ride. Just the noise and the acceleration of one of these beasts till 8000rpm are something that will put a smile on your face for a long time

And the more impressive is that while this is a true beast when you put the foot down, it is a lamb and a comfortable car on the city traffic were you go at 40 or 50km/h in 5 gear without any protests from the engine. That is even more amazing than the brute power, the fact that you can ride a car like this everyday, to work.

Those cars have a lighted display that will inform you in what gear you are, otherwise it would be hard to know.
Old 16-12-2016, 09:33   #221
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Or come to any Cadillac dealer and drive this. 640 HP, 200+ MPH
Cadillac | 2017 CTS-V Sedan

You guys think this is ugly?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 09:39   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

It is generic.
Looks like a BMW.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 10:15   #223

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Quote:

Not ugly,but not as good looking as this which also drives a whole lot better,you''all should try it..it is PHENOMENAL!

Their latest model was one of the fastest selling cars ever..now they need to deliver.All made and designed in the USA

https://www.tesla.com

Have a nice weekend!

JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 10:16   #224

Quote:

The first thing someone that likes to drive sports vehicles, being it a car, a motorcycle or a boat, looks is to the weight, that is fundamental for the dynamic driving and after that the power.

Both cars have about the same horse power but the Cadillac weights 4145lbs and the Ferrari 2844lbs. Besides that, in what regards grip and stability, like on a boat, the low CG is fundamental and the pictures tell the story about that:

Certainly a very fast car, but not when curves are are the essence or sport driving is the matter. A car comparable with other European cars of the same type and power.

Old 16-12-2016, 10:27   #225
cruiser

Quote:
Nice to know you are a collector But even if those cars offer a nice and glamorous ride they have nothing to do with what you can try on Maranello. There you can ride babies like this:

With around 600hp and clutch changes at the wheel.

I can tell you it is worth the ride. Just the noise and the acceleration of one of these beasts till 8000rpm are something that will put a smile on your face for a long time

And the more impressive is that while this is a true beast when you put the foot down, it is a lamb and a comfortable car on the city traffic were you go at 40 or 50km/h in 5 gear without any protests from the engine. That is even more amazing than the brute power, the fact that you can ride a car like this everyday, to work.

Those cars have a lighted display that will inform you in what gear you are, otherwise it would be hard to know.
It can't beat driving down the 405 freeway in Southern California doing 155mph with the top down, or passing a long line of cars on a windy mountain road. Owning a Ferrari at age 25 was pretty sweet. Memories from my youth I'll always cherish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	138083  

Tags
sailing, sail, yacht