Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 19:18   #31

Boat: S&S 40
Re: Windage implications of dinghys, davits, and arches

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Are you referring to windage under way, at anchor, on a mooring, or in general? IMHO, having your tender on davits is the best alternative. I don't notice any effect on windage under way; and at anchor or mooring, security concerns frankly overrule any slight increase that a davited dink might add to my already obscene swing room in a cat. (Confessions of a lifelong monohull sailor).
Its fine for day cruising but when the yacht gets pooped you most likely can say goodbye to your tender, not to mention possible damage to the contraption bolted to the stern.
We learned the quick way to store a tender on deck is a better idea then having it on davits when heading offshore, as you never know what the sea can dish out...
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:11   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Its fine for day cruising but when the yacht gets pooped you most likely can say goodbye to your tender, not to mention possible damage to the contraption bolted to the stern.
We learned the quick way to store a tender on deck is a better idea then having it on davits when heading offshore, as you never know what the sea can dish out...

In fairness, this may not be a problem in all cases. I carried my previous large dinghy in davits in all kinds of weather (and I mean ALL kinds, including a knockdown in the North Sea), and never came close to being pooped. Given enough buoyancy at the stern of the mother ship, and high enough davits, and this may not be a problem.

But as has been said, all that mass swinging around in a seaway is a different question, and the windage is unacceptable for a keen sailor, at least, if you sail much to weather.

Note that we have been talking about monohulls. I think on a cat all this may be entirely different. First of all, no heeling, so different load dynamics altogether on the davits. Second, a dinghy in davits on a cat will be in the wind shadow of the house, so probably the windage is not noticeable.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:47   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have seen the results of being pooped for a boat exactly like mine with bent over davits and gone dinghy.
now i am planning on installing a combo davit, boom gallows and solar/kayak mount and traveller for mizzen which i use for sailing, using taller davits--the sea wolf had davits low to water, as do ct 41, yet below level of working mizzenboom.
i use no r i b but a walker bay rigid 10 f t dink. is impossible for me to lift n stow that by myself , so i caved to davits.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:38   #34

Boat: Mahe 36

On my 36 ft cat we have a walker bay 10 on the davits. Ensured there was a quality good fitting cover on the dinghy to try and deter the water ingress. Not been an issue so far.
I think, as been stated previously, davits and cats are good together.
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:09   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffy View Post
On my 36 ft cat we have a walker bay 10 on the davits. Ensured there was a quality good fitting cover on the dinghy to try and deter the water ingress. Not been an issue so far.
I think, as been stated previously, davits and cats are good together.
yes they are.... i see so many well fit ribs on davits of catamarans. my formosa has 2 cats so we will see how well davits and cats do get along.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 04:08   #36

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
It sure as hell does slow the boat when sailing to weather.
Yes it certainly does, but its ok for short hops, going offshore i always store my hard tender at the bow...which is not the best either.
Having an inflatable deflated and stored away or tied down is better.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, davits, dinghy, wind