Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2015, 22:05   #1

"Win" a Rhodes 40' Sloop: Siskiwit

Has anyone looked into this? It's an essay contest accepting a maximum of 900 entries; the prize is the Siskiwit with some extras. Contestants pay an entry fee ($125, $150 after Nov 22) and need to have about $13K available for estimated taxes due by February 2016, when possession would transfer.

I'm not eligible... apparently you need to be a US Citizen, of which I'm not. I've never seen anything like this before, and I've been planning for my s/v for a few years now - wasn't sure if anyone else had.

Here's the link:
Siskiwit | WIN a Rhodes Offshore 40' Sloop | Classic Cheoy Lee

Thoughts?
Old 22-11-2015, 22:48   #2

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48
Re: "Win" a Rhodes 40' Sloop: Siskiwit

Got to be a con.

Why would anyone pay to enter?
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 22:48   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Interesting. They should get their price and they will know it is going to a good home. If I ever sell my boat maybe I'll do it that way too. If I lived on the east coast I'd try for it. That's one of the rare designs that really appeals to me. But then, do I have 13K and the cash flow to maintain that boat? Uhh.... no. Not yet. Oh yeah, I have kids. Probably never.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 23:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Got to be a con. Why would anyone pay to enter?
It's a pool of sort; first 450 entries covers what he was looking for when he went to list it for sale (450x$125=56,250, found it originally listed on YachtWorld for $52,900
1969 Cheoy Lee Offshore Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
...the extra entries create a yard credit at Bennett Brothers Yachts, in Wilmington, NC. Seems legit, a lot of dreamers with some cash, but not enough... they've already had more than 450 entries, so the seller covered his base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Interesting. They should get their price and they will know it is going to a good home. If I ever sell my boat maybe I'll do it that way too. If I lived on the east coast I'd try for it. That's one of the rare designs that really appeals to me. But then, do I have 13K and the cash flow to maintain that boat? Uhh.... no. Not yet. Oh yeah, I have kids. Probably never.
Ha! Ditto, ditto, ditto.... well I have kids, but I will get my s/v! It's just hard to look at the big plan week by week and see that I'm still a ways out~
Old 23-11-2015, 08:13   #5

Boat: TBD

I've seen people try to sell a house this way, but it is inevitably considered illegal. It's too much like gambling. If this one attracts the attention of "the authorities" it will almost certainly be shut down.
Old 23-11-2015, 08:29   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Form an LLC, make each contestant a shareholder, with 1 taking possession. He can close the company.
PS: not a lawyer, but have been known to be devious.
Old 23-11-2015, 08:35   #7

It's a raffle and, as such, is legal in many jurisdictions. Most raffles, though, don't have a limit to the number of ticket sales. Our org just raffled an AR-15 and cleared (after expenses) about $5500. Oh, ticket cost? Only $10 ea or 3 for $25.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 08:35   #8

Illegal in most states since its basically a lottery. Also most likely a scam. Finally, you will get socked for the retrieval costs which could add up to 30-50k easily.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 08:37   #9

Also, in Texas gambling is illegal but you see all those old ladies in the bingo hall every weekend. I guess the officials know better than to mess with grandma.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 08:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
Also, in Texas gambling is illegal but you see all those old ladies in the bingo hall every weekend. I guess the officials know better than to mess with grandma.
Officials know better than to tangle with the Catholic Church which has a nationwide control on all Bingo operations(really). Although its gambling, no state has saw fit to close them down. Justice is what you pay for.
Old 23-11-2015, 09:32   #11

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Seems to be a scam to me... if it is an "essay contest," I presume that there is a judge to say which essay wins?? I guess his brother-in-law had the best essay, and just happened to be needing a boat...
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:10   #12

Boat: Union cutter 33

Yeah essay to win...ur right one of his close friends or family members has best essay winner winner chicken dinner
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:21   #13

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDSailor View Post
Seems to be a scam to me... if it is an "essay contest," I presume that there is a judge to say which essay wins?? I guess his brother-in-law had the best essay, and just happened to be needing a boat...
"The judges of the contest and current owner of the vessel and employees of Bennett Brothers Yachts and their immediate families, members of all forms of media (including but not limited to TV, Radio, Online and newspaper) are disqualified and may not enter this contest."

If it's a scam, he's being pretty darn stupid about it, giving his name, work info, broker info etc. Should be very easy for anyone to check out if he's (for) real.

It's an original way to sell a boat. I wouldn't do it this way myself, or ever enter something like this, but still. Creative and innovative way to sell a boat and find an owner you think will be good to her.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
"The judges of the contest and current owner of the vessel and employees of Bennett Brothers Yachts and their immediate families, members of all forms of media (including but not limited to TV, Radio, Online and newspaper) are disqualified and may not enter this contest."

If it's a scam, he's being pretty darn stupid about it, giving his name, work info, broker info etc. Should be very easy for anyone to check out if he's (for) real.

It's an original way to sell a boat. I wouldn't do it this way myself, or ever enter something like this, but still. Creative and innovative way to sell a boat and find an owner you think will be good to her.
If it smells too good, it probably is. We had several houses up this way go the lottery route till the operators got busted, the houses tied up in cross law suits by non winners, and subpoenas issued to all participants.
Old 23-11-2015, 11:46   #15

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

If it was a straight raffle/drawing it would get past the smell test better. Wonder if the past owner, current owners wife of kids, etc. are entering. Just seems to subjective / open to manipulation this way. Could be legit, hope so but skeptical.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sloop