Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Will My Rocna Fail?

if you cannot figure it out--buy a nice and well respected original bruce--make sure your anchor is big enough and has enough chain......the bruce WILL hold.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:18   #17

jeremiason
THANK YOU very much. That is exactly the info I was hoping to find by this posting.
This anchor WAS replaced by Rocna & is just laying around waiting for someone like me to use.
My boat is Pearson 530.
As for the Bruce, I've yet to wet the one that came w/ the boat but mine is only 45# so it's pretty small for my boat anyway. Very few boats down here use them. I know a lot of sailors who swear by them, though.
I've used the genuine CQR (not some knock-off plow) since 1972 without any problems, but a better anchor? sure, I've gotta try it! Even an old sea dog like me can learn a new anchor.
I believe the 88# Rocna is oversize for my boat which is also comforting.
So thanks again all you who stuck to the point and gave me some good info.

"Kid, any idiot can make a boat go, it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa, 1965, aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:44   #18

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
jeremiason
THANK YOU very much. That is exactly the info I was hoping to find by this posting.
This anchor WAS replaced by Rocna & is just laying around waiting for someone like me to use.
My boat is Pearson 530.
As for the Bruce, I've yet to wet the one that came w/ the boat but mine is only 45# so it's pretty small for my boat anyway. Very few boats down here use them. I know a lot of sailors who swear by them, though.
I've used the genuine CQR (not some knock-off plow) since 1972 without any problems, but a better anchor? sure, I've gotta try it! Even an old sea dog like me can learn a new anchor.
I believe the 88# Rocna is oversize for my boat which is also comforting.
So thanks again all you who stuck to the point and gave me some good info.

"Kid, any idiot can make a boat go, it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa, 1965, aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca.
I was a Bruce Fan for years and still carry a Lewmar Claw 66lbs (Knock Off Bruce) as my secondary anchor.

We have a Catalina 470 (About 37,000 Disp.) and use the Rocna 25kg. We have been using it for over two years through California, Mexico, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama with great success and no dragging...

In the Sea of Cortez, the anchor had it's true tests. It held the boat through both a Chabbasco with 55 knot winds for 2.5 hours and an Elephante with 40 knot winds for 13 hours.

In my opnion anchors are always a big topic of dicussion and everyone stand bys their's until it drags...

At the moment I love my Rocna

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54   #19

if it's over size for your boat I would go for it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:08   #20

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
if it's over size for your boat I would go for it!

Unless the windless can't handle the extra weight!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 21:46   #21

Re: Will My Rocna Fail ?

Just to let y'all know; the 88# Rocna is in the water now & I'm sleeping just fine. Actually had a 21.7 knot gust today, but that's just a bit of breeze compared to
the Christmas winds which blow 25 to 35 knots for 2 to 3 weeks 24/7, usually. But last season they blew all damn winter, how wearing!. But great sailing across the channels, whoopee...........................
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 00:04   #22

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

It won't bend or fail if it is over spec size for your boat !
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 01:21   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
It won't bend or fail if it is over spec size for your boat !
My advice? I would greatly prefer a Chinese Rocna to any CQR or Bruce, genuine or knockoff, and even to a genuine Delta. If it is oversized, then so much the better.

But if I had a choice, I would certainly prefer a Manson or a Spade. Why oversize your anchor just to make up for an inherent defect? Maybe if it's 1/2 price and the incremental amount of money is critical for your budget -- in that case, maybe it would be worth it.

I had a Chinese Rocna -- oversized at 55kg (121 pounds). When the news came out that the steel was out of spec, I exchanged it for a much more expensive Spade, somewhat smaller at 100 pounds. I am glad I did -- the anchor is a key safety device and not something to screw around with, in my opinion. As a bonus, the Spade works better -- sets much better, and is easier to handle than the Rocna was.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 18:42   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

If the anchor you now have was turned in for a new one, I am going to guess that whomever sold it to you did not have the authority to do so?

Reminds me of the story about a certain tech company, that took gear back from customers as trade-in on new stuff. One of the sales guys was then turning around and putting the old stuff up on eBay. He lost his job, and I bet had difficulties getting similar work in the future.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 19:51   #25

Will you rocna fail? Second law of thermodynamics says yes, it's a matter of time.

The real question is: will it fail sooner than other brands?
Don't let marketing types answer that.

Will it hold your boat? Most of the time
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna