Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 21:07   #1

Will My Rocna Fail ?

I have been offered one of the bad serial number, 88# Rocna anchors for a pittance.
Because it is in the "bad" group will it definitely fail? Or am I going to have to foul it in some rocks and power a 75000# boat over it at 6 knots to make it fail?
Would having a couple of steel bars welded on either side of the stock help, or just unbalance the anchor?
Any input would be appreciated, thanks
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 21:19   #2

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by capta
Because it is in the "bad" group will it definitely fail?
Talk about misleading title!

Will it fail... yes, it will fail. Under what conditions is the real question... and that horse is long dead.

MODERATION NOTE: Title changed to suit topic better
Old 08-08-2012, 21:24   #3

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
re: Will My Rocna Fail?

The question is how much sleep you are willing to loose with a known sub-standard anchor holding your boat?

What is that worth to you?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 22:02   #4

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

NEVER, NEVER Skimp on ground tackle.
Going oversize may cost a bit more, and make you not get that fancy smancy new electronic gadget.
BUt in teh long run, that new gadget will not be as smart as good anchor and chain!
But hey, that's just my $0.01 worth....
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 22:40   #5

Really, I'm trying to get info on a particular anchor, not general advice on ground tackle.
I'd love to try one, but w/ 5 complete set ups onboard $1500.00 is a whole lot of cash to find out if they work better for me on the flat coral bottoms like Admiralty Bay in Bequia?.
But if I would have to destroy the Rocna through misuse, rather than have it fail of it's own accord is the question I'm asking of someone who had theirs fail.
This is an 88 pound anchor & it's really HUGE, as it's made from much lighter steel than my CQR. But everyone maintains they hold better.
So take a chance on a $1500 anchor for $200 on the maybe, that some day it might bend, which, since I'm normally aboard, especially in inclement weather, would at worst necessitate dropping a second anchor.
Can anybody definitively say that all the anchors of that series were bad or did some owners just go for a new anchor when offered?
Old 08-08-2012, 23:09   #6

Gee thanks Chris, really helpful answer.
Old 08-08-2012, 23:36   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The anchor is very unlikely to fail. There are a lot of these anchors in circulation and there have only been a small number of bent shanks. You don't indicate the size of your boat, but from your comments it sounds like it is on the large size which makes it even less likely to bend.

Don't weld anything on the shank it will upset the balance. Its likely it would be replaced by Rocna if you did bend it.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:30   #8

I think you need to change the tittle, it comes up on Google and is a bit misleading. For the price try it if it does bend {which is debatable} then you get given a new one. Bending is better than braking.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:36   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Given enough side load, the shank on the substandard Rocna will bend about 25% before the shank on the better Rocna's, but it will not fail to keep your boat secure. If it is "large" for your size boat, it will probably never even bend. I'd sleep well on it knowing I'd saved a bunch of money and have a better anchor than a Danforth or CQR type (which I have also seen with bent shanks).
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00   #10

Any chance that the bargoon Rocna is actually a knock-off? $200 for 88 lb of low-grade steel is still a nice markup...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:06   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Will My Rocna Fail?

Title changed to suit topic better.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:08   #12

Boat: Sabre 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo
Title changed to suit topic better.
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:13   #13

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

How did you identify the anchor as one of the 300 hundred defective anchors?

Even Rocna and its major distributor, West Marine, are having a hard time determing which ones they are without physical inspection, since the anchors are not serial numbered.

It also suprizes me that if this is one of the defective anchors why the orginal owner did not return it for a free replacement.

As far as the defective anhors and their ability to hold your vessel, here is a quote from the Rocna Bulletin on this issue:

Initial information (derived from an on-going investigation) indicated that for a period beginning 2010 the shanks of some of the Rocna anchors were brought to market using a steel alloy that did not meet the manufacturing specification. This information was released in the spring of 2011 which resulted in those suspect anchors being subjected to rigorous testing. The results of the testing confirmed that these anchors, while not meeting the design specification, did not pose any safety concerns, and still exceeded industry proof load strength requirements

A number of web sites address this specific issue, including Rocna, West Marine and Practical Sailor.

Fore more information go to the following links:
West Marine update » Rocna Anchors

West Marine Issues Specification Notices on Rocna Anchors - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

http://content.westmarine.com/docume...-%208%2001.pdf

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:36   #14

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

I retractmy statement. ALthough I believe in the best you can for ground tackle. If the ROCNA is only a little bending issue, you made a good score!I would have no problem with it.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:43   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I have been offered one of the bad serial number, 88# Rocna anchors for a pittance.
Because it is in the "bad" group will it definitely fail? Or am I going to have to foul it in some rocks and power a 75000# boat over it at 6 knots to make it fail?
Would having a couple of steel bars welded on either side of the stock help, or just unbalance the anchor?
Any input would be appreciated, thanks

Probably hold just fine and would take a massive side load to bent it, which doesn't mean it would fail.

Far as I know though all the Rocna trash threads no one has made a claim that the "bad" ones experienced a break apart failure, just that it bent.

PS - is this "bad" anchor been in use all this time? Did it fail?

Tags
rocna