Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2024, 05:18   #1

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme
Calibration of B&G Wind Sensor?

On our Dragonfly 32 tri, we have a B&G WS 320 wireless wind sensor. The boat originally had the wired sensor and it was replaced with the WS 320 by the previous owner. We purchased the boat in September 2022 and so far the WS 320 has worked (we’ve not changed the battery).

The reason for this post is that I believe I get for lack of a better term asymmetric readings from the unit that primarily affect the operation of the wind autopilot especially when sailing upwind.

Looking at the 2 page manual for the unit, there appears to be no calibration procedure. You pair the unit with the Bluetooth interface and away you go. For interaction and setup with the B&G autopilot, you can use TWD, AWD, or “Auto”. Most recommend using TWD especially for stability for downwind sailing.

Thoughts or experiences? Thanks!
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 05:24   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Calibration of B&G Wind Sensor?

Are you talking about adjusting an offset angle, compensating for the wind sensor not being installed exactly pointing to the bow? If so, on my Garmin system I can add a calibration offset angle through the chart plotter. It's buried in the menu system, and undoubtedly different from B & G, but when I get to the list of NMEA 2K devices, I get a calibration/settings option for some of the devices, including the wind sensor.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 14:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
Are you talking about adjusting an offset angle, compensating for the wind sensor not being installed exactly pointing to the bow? If so, on my Garmin system I can add a calibration offset angle through the chart plotter. It's buried in the menu system, and undoubtedly different from B & G, but when I get to the list of NMEA 2K devices, I get a calibration/settings option for some of the devices, including the wind sensor.
No, our wind sensor vane is aligned bow to stern. Thanks.
Old 29-05-2024, 01:41   #4

Are your "asymetric" values displayed for True Wind or Apparent Wind ?

If True Wind, and you are using boat speed for the True Wind calculation, the question has to be asked "Where is your speed transducer located? Is it in the centre of the centre hull ?"
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 05:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Are your "asymetric" values displayed for True Wind or Apparent Wind ?

If True Wind, and you are using boat speed for the True Wind calculation, the question has to be asked "Where is your speed transducer located? Is it in the centre of the centre hull ?"
When we sail upwind on starboard tack with sails trimmed properly and telltales showing proper steering angle, we see something like 50-60 degrees TWD to the boat and 35-40 degrees AWD. If we tack and trim the sails exactly the same and again sail with proper steering angle, we’ll see 45-55 degrees TWD and 25-30 degrees AWD. Thus it seems the boat’s readings are skewed 10-15 degrees tack to tack. The one thing I want to check and confirm and it will depend on how steady the wind direction is would be to check the TWD tack to tack. That should not change. The discrepancy does not seem to be as noticeable when we start to sail TWD’s to the boat of more than 60-70 degrees (i.e. reaching and downwind).

The speed/depth sensor installation is slightly offset (no more than 12” from the centerline of the center hull) but the fore/aft location where it is has a fairly flat hull cross section profile. We’ve calibrated the speed sensor to where it typically deviates no more than 1 knot from SOG and the depth readings we get typically match our chart values so we feel confident in that sensor’s accuracy.

We’re hoping to get the boat out this weekend and do a more attentive job of recording data while the boat is sailing upwind or close reaching tack to tack. The reason for this thread is if I find the behavior consistent, how do I “tune” it out of the chart pilot. We have done recently a slow circle calibration of the autopilot compass but perhaps we need to do it again.
Old 29-05-2024, 05:43   #6

Boat: Adams 45

If the AWD differs on the two tacks with consistent wind, trim, performance, etc. then you have a sensor angle offset from the bow. AWD is just the raw reading of the wind sensor, nothing else involved. From your numbers, it looks like a 5-degree offset.

Another way to test for offset is heading directly into the wind, either at anchor/mooring or under power. If the wind sensor isn't showing zero AWD, the reading is the offset.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 07:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
If the AWD differs on the two tacks with consistent wind, trim, performance, etc. then you have a sensor angle offset from the bow. AWD is just the raw reading of the wind sensor, nothing else involved. From your numbers, it looks like a 5-degree offset.

Another way to test for offset is heading directly into the wind, either at anchor/mooring or under power. If the wind sensor isn't showing zero AWD, the reading is the offset.
Thanks, I’ll do this check for sure. By eye, the alignment looks correct but the sensor is 62’ off the water so a 5 degree offset may be hard to see.

Tags
cal, sensor, wind