Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 08:29   #16

Boat: C&C
Re: Where to Retire and sail.

Good thing we all don't like the same thing or it would be one damn crowed anchorage!!! Mine is The Bahamas, others, well you've heard their rant above. The main thing is your almost there and have a plan so get to it, so do it! Don't just walk the docks and dream! I also agree with the majority that beer is a great commodity to take along for making new acquaintances! A dog also works but can be a pain! Stick with copious amounts of cheap beer!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 09:16   #17

My boat is a n Panama now. I like it. But, in the Western Caribbean the Rio Dolce is the place. Lots of support. Many ex-pats. Great Marina's from $100/month to $250/mo for a 43 footer. Safe from hurricanes and when the season is right you have the whole Western Basin to play in. That's BZ, Honduras, Me, Cuba, Jamaica, Caymans. It's endless. I spent three happy seasons there and miss it and the friends I made very much. I'm moving west but will return some day. Check it out. Lots of beer there. No problem.
PLeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 10:13   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Lot’s of talk about Panama...which side?
aliddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 13:09   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Problem with BZ is not that it is expensive (it is not). Very few marinas, need to go outside the reef to sail. CR is generally affordable but few marinas on the East coast and Pacific coast overrun with snowflakes from Ca. Panama seems like a good option.
Perception of expenses is a relative thing I suppose, but there are in fact many miles of excellent sailing inside the reef of Belize.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 13:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLeffe View Post
My boat is a n Panama now. I like it. But, in the Western Caribbean the Rio Dolce is the place. Lots of support. Many ex-pats. Great Marina's from $100/month to $250/mo for a 43 footer. Safe from hurricanes and when the season is right you have the whole Western Basin to play in. That's BZ, Honduras, Me, Cuba, Jamaica, Caymans. It's endless. I spent three happy seasons there and miss it and the friends I made very much. I'm moving west but will return some day. Check it out. Lots of beer there. No problem.
The Rio is a great place, I miss it too.

"Me" as a place name was a typo I assume?
Old 25-08-2019, 13:49   #21

I would choose San Blas Islands of Panama for sailing, buying boat parts as required in Colon or occasionally in Panama City. Occasionally fr a change in pace I would spend some time in Cartagena and offshore islands of Colombia. Costs are cheaper than many other places and if you are street smarts, crime is not a big issue. Heavy rain with Lightning is an issue in San Blas, stay away during hurricane season.

Bay Islands of Honduras are not safe, Guatemala is dirt cheap but you are too young to enjoy Rio Dulce. Belize is terifffic but expensive similar to BVI's.

On the Eastern Caribbean, Bequia is hard to beat. Rotate between Grenada for hurricane season and make an occasional N to Guadeloupe & the Saints. This sea is cheaper than BVI's but more expensive than San Blas suggested above.

Now if you are really ambitious for long passages, lots of people tell me Thailand is the place to retire. I never made it there, but maybe others might tell you about Thailand.

Good luck with your cruising plans. Keep us posted.
Caravela1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 14:25   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you don't have a particular country you want to be in, I would consider just puttering up and down the ICW.

Cruisers (as opposed to liveaboard) are welcome just about everywhere and you can manage cost with plentiful marinas and anchorages. Larger bays and offshore passages allow for sailing if you don't want to motor.
Ditto, on that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 14:36   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to Retire and sail.

The N Atlantic..
Jan to April in the Windwards, June and July the Azores, August and September Portugals Algarve and W Spain, Gib and Morocco, October and November the Canaries and Cape Verdes then back to the Windwards to start again..
Great variety and lotsa sailing..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 15:26   #24

Quote:
Now if you are really ambitious for long passages, lots of people tell me Thailand is the place to retire. I never made it there, but maybe others might tell you about Thailand.
I think Thailand could have it's own thread.

I'm a bit disappointed myself.....I was there a few months ago and have been visiting for decades. Thailand has definitely changed a lot over the years and not for the better. IMHO.

But I know lots of folks that love it there. My good buddy that spent 8 years circumnavigating loved it...said it was his favorite destination.

Different strokes I suppose.
Old 25-08-2019, 16:16   #25

Boat: Ebbtide 36 steel cuttter, 11m

Why not consider SE Asia? Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia have great cruising, all facilities and are cheap. Another great spot is South America, Uruguay, Chile, and Argentina. All much cheaper than Central America, Mexico etc.
Bill Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 17:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravela1986 View Post
I would choose San Blas Islands of Panama for sailing, buying boat parts as required in Colon or occasionally in Panama City. Occasionally fr a change in pace I would spend some time in Cartagena and offshore islands of Colombia. Costs are cheaper than many other places and if you are street smarts, crime is not a big issue. Heavy rain with Lightning is an issue in San Blas, stay away during hurricane season.

Bay Islands of Honduras are not safe, Guatemala is dirt cheap but you are too young to enjoy Rio Dulce. Belize is terifffic but expensive similar to BVI's.

On the Eastern Caribbean, Bequia is hard to beat. Rotate between Grenada for hurricane season and make an occasional N to Guadeloupe & the Saints. This sea is cheaper than BVI's but more expensive than San Blas suggested above.

Good luck with your cruising plans. Keep us posted.
The OP is too young to enjoy the Rio at 61!?

I made the Rio my home base in my 40's, Im still younger than the OP...though not by much!
Old 25-08-2019, 18:00   #27

Boat: Taswell 43

Go do them all!!! You've got the boat, and when you're retired, time is not the issue....so do them all, and you pick the spot you like the best! We spent 12+ years living and working, and retired, in Asia. I'd recommend The Philippines, Viet Nam, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, but especially the PI, over them all. But then we like deserted, out-of-the way places that are friendly and inexpensive. Malaysia is spectaclular, and Thailand is not to be missed. Then we did 4 seasons in the Medd....good, interesting, different, but not my cup of tea. Now we're going to start our 6th season in the eastern Caribbean. We've still got the northern Caribb, and then the western Caribb, and then Mexico. Go try them all.....when you find the spot that lights your fire-stay!. If not.....move on; with the boat-that's easy!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 19:59   #28

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Too many icebergs in the Sea of Cortez, not worth going to. And the pterodactyls are ferocious at night.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 20:45   #29

Look like Florida has turned into a pain in the ass
mayberrybfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 05:01   #30

Boat: Morgan Outisland 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you don't have a particular country you want to be in, I would consider just puttering up and down the ICW.

Cruisers (as opposed to liveaboard) are welcome just about everywhere and you can manage cost with plentiful marinas and anchorages. Larger bays and offshore passages allow for sailing if you don't want to motor.
I love this idea! What a wonderful way to spend your retirement. I'm coming down from Toronto and hope to just putter between the islands and around the east coast. I know this is a very open question but any recommendations as to friendly inexpensive Marina's and places of must see.
Jackssailboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail