Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 05:22   #1

Post What sailboat models have a Swim Platform?

I am just starting my research on what models of older (aka affordable) sailboats I should be steering toward buying. It seems that most 28-35' sloops don't have swim platforms but a few do. I think that a well designed, integrated (not some bolt on POS) swim platform is something that I would like to have on the boat I purchase and at this point I am just starting to compile a list of boats that have them to do more research on.
If you have sailed or owned one with a platform and have an opinion - either good or bad - on them then I'd be happy to hear that too.

Thanks.
Rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 05:47   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: What sailboat models have a Swim Platform?

My past 3 boats have had swim platforms and they are great when in warm (Caribbean) waters where one goes swimming often. They also make boarding and de-boarding to a dinghy much easier.

The swim platform goes with the sugar-scoop stern in newer boats. The mass-production models tend to be of this type. There are too many models out there to even begin a list.
Old 18-12-2013, 05:51   #3

please feel free to start naming off models and years that come to mind
Rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 06:05   #4

The Beneteau Oceanis models - particularly the 41 and 45 have a lovely, retractable swim platform. A very compelling feature of these boats. May not help you much, as these are fairly new models, but seems to be the ultimate as far as this kind of feature goes.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 06:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Integrated swim platforms are a relatively new design feature, so depending on how old a boat you're looking for it may not be an option.

Regarding POS bolt on, don't be so quick to judge. I have had a couple of boats with bolt on platforms that were extremely sturdy, well made and attractive.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 06:20   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
The Beneteau Oceanis models - particularly the 41 and 45 have a lovely, retractable swim platform. A very compelling feature of these boats. May not help you much, as these are fairly new models, but seems to be the ultimate as far as this kind of feature goes.
I have a Jeanneau 57, the whole aft transom opens up to a swim platform - that's my ultimate But it might be both too big a boat and too new for the original poster.

Old 18-12-2013, 06:29   #7

Boat: Catalina 34

There are quite a few 28-35' footers with swim platforms, particularly if you consider a sugar scoop as a platform. Define "affordable" and we can give you some specific examples that might fit your needs.
Old 18-12-2013, 13:04   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Integrated swim platforms are a relatively new design feature, so depending on how old a boat you're looking for it may not be an option.

Regarding POS bolt on, don't be so quick to judge. I have had a couple of boats with bolt on platforms that were extremely sturdy, well made and attractive.

It was a powerboat, but used to put two 60 gl fuel drums on one when going to the middle grounds for fishing, and Jetskis on it when not. Very sturdy and very functional, if it were on a sailboat, you could put a hard tender on it easily
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 13:26   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

How well do these work? Years ago I was on a Beneteau, think it was an Idylle and it had a drop down transom. Only problem was that when it was a bit sloppy at anchor the damn thing would clunk up and down. There were no struts, it hung on steel wire, I think. But it was a PITA. You could not leave the boat unattended in sloppy weather with the transom down so you had to put it up when you went ashore, defeating the whole purpose. I have a sugar scoop type swim platform, best thing since sliced bread or maybe in-mast furling. I hope the newer ones can be left down without a problem.
Old 18-12-2013, 13:31   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The sugar scoops came into vogue in the late eighties so that's your start point. Cruising types late eighties and newer.
Old 18-12-2013, 13:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Agreed. Yes, there are some that look ugly and flimsy. I have also seen many that look--to my eye far--better than the "sugar scoops" that get hung onto the back of almost every boat made nowadays.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 16:01   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Mine is a 1988 Freedom 38 (documented as an F36 with sugar scoop). I chose this model specifically because of the platform, its ease of sailing, high quality build, and price -- in that priority order. It has exceeded my expectations.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 18:41   #13

Boat: Leopard 40
What sailboat models have a Swim Platform?

We have a 1993 Hunter 30T with walk through transom/ swim platform and it is a very comfortable and nice sailing boat. Took it all over the Keys and Bahamas. I don't think I would get a boat without some sort of sugar scoop or swim platform because we like to get in the water frequently and it is so much easier to get on board from the dinghy. We rent her as a bare boat now.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 22:11   #14

The Catalina’s of course have the sugar scoop too.
Shoshana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2023, 22:46   #15

Boat: Catalina 42

Catalina 30, MKII had a walk through transom version that I've owned for several years. The access to the dink and swim ladder is incredible. This feature is one of the reasons we purchased a Catalina 42 as our "final boat". The C42 has a sugar scoop, but he concept is the same, no climbing over the transom/stern rail to get on and off.
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, sail, sailboat