Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 19:12   #1

Boat: CORESOUND 17
what length boat for great circle

I know this is been around before I guess here goes. I want to buy a boat to do part of the great circle. I guss my list would be a head(for wife) maybe a shower I want a inboard diesel engine mid berth v berth can be storage I guess some form of cocking not much do not care about night life just wonder along read sleep and let life go by want a boat that is comfortable so I can be out of rain and bad weather nice to be able to stand up 6ft nothing fancy I know I am looking for if I could find one on a trailer where I could avoid some marina fees just finished a 17 open cockpit cat rigged and did not relize there was not enouph room in it have only sailed in open boats going to start looking this winter
If you were looking and picking what would you look for as far a make and size. Like I said I would like one that could be trailered and I do not mind fixing. every thing needs work on even a new one
mcdermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 10:02   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: what length boat for great circle

How about a Catalina 22 with a pop top .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:52   #3

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

It's not length you have to worry about, it's height and draft. So get a boat with a tabernacle at the base of the mast and one that draws less that 6 ft. 7ft is supposed to be safe, but they don't consistently dredge the miss. Other than that, get what you want size wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermitt View Post
I know this is been around before I guess here goes. I want to buy a boat to do part of the great circle. I guss my list would be a head(for wife) maybe a shower I want a inboard diesel engine mid berth v berth can be storage I guess some form of cocking not much do not care about night life just wonder along read sleep and let life go by want a boat that is comfortable so I can be out of rain and bad weather nice to be able to stand up 6ft nothing fancy I know I am looking for if I could find one on a trailer where I could avoid some marina fees just finished a 17 open cockpit cat rigged and did not relize there was not enouph room in it have only sailed in open boats going to start looking this winter
If you were looking and picking what would you look for as far a make and size. Like I said I would like one that could be trailered and I do not mind fixing. every thing needs work on even a new one
Howdy!

I bolded a few points in your post to draw attention to them.

Standup headroom?
Depends on how tall you are. I am 6' so I look for 6' minimum and prefer 6'3" or more if possible. Assuming you want at least 6' of headroom, I think you are going to be looking for a boat that is probably 27ft (some 25ft) and up.

Trailer Sailor?
You wrote you would like to be able to trailer the boat. Small trailer sailers, can do that. Some pocket cruisers can do that. But, if my goal was to do The Big Loop, which is several thousands of miles in a boat (with most in protected waters, usually motoring), my first concern would be comfort, rather than trailering it anywhere. In other words, I would sacrifice trailer ability for comfort instead.

Which Boat?

Whenever I see a post asking about a boat or "help me find a boat that…" the first question that enters my mind is:

"What is the limit of asking price you have?"

With an adequate budget (i.e. funds to meet an advertised "asking price range") one can find a solution.

Without the adequate budget, it is asking folks to name what they would want, without necessarily any real fit for what you can buy.

My simple suggestion: Name the budget available for the purchase of the boat. Even better post the maximum asking price or advertised price you would seriously consider spending.

Ask folks here to spend that amount for you, virtually, of course.

Once you name the budget (the maximum asking price you would consider for a boat), you will narrow the field considerably.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 13:23   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermitt View Post

I want to buy a boat to do part of the great circle. I guess my list would be as follows:

1- a head (for wife) maybe a shower
2- an inboard diesel engine
3- midship berth (v berth can be storage)
4- stove, simple
5- prefer 6 ft, 1 in headroom
6- trailer sailboat acceptable

I not much do not care about night life, just want to wander along, read, sleep, and let life go by. I want a boat that is comfortable so I can be out of rain and bad weather. It would be nice to be able to stand up, 6 ft., nothing fancy I know I am looking for. If I could find one on a trailer where I could avoid some marina fees.....

I just finished a 17' open cockpit cat rigged and did not realize there was not enough room in it. I have only sailed in open boats, going to start looking this winter.

If you were looking and picking, what would you look for as far a make and size?

Like I said I would like one that could be trailered and I do not mind fixing. every thing needs work on even a new one
mcdermitt,

Sorry for editing and re-formatting your post. I was trying to organize it a bit, to make it easier for me to follow. I have to say that I think, like markwesti, that a Catalina 22 pop top might do it well for you. Jim (my husband) cruised quite a bit with his (with his first family). They had a Coleman camp stove for cooking that they used in the cockpit.

Such a boat should give you many pleasant hours.

Ann