Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2013, 11:47   #16

Got a call from the seller this morning. Standing rigging is all there, as is the entire interior in teak. Gallery is there. Needs wiring, insulation, and everything installed. One of those illness forces sale deals. The bottom has been primed, needs paint. The entire top from the boot top up is redone and painted. Bow sprit and boomkin is there, needs installed. The tackle is there, but may be some missing. Bronze hawsepipe needs installed. Portlights need installed.
Lots of work. Lots already done. Don't know about the sail complement, I'm waiting for info on that.
It needs a good washing, but has been in a pole barn for several years.
It will cost about $1500 to transport the vessel to a shipyard, I'm looking at possibly Charleston at Coos Bay.
The asking price is well below $10K. Less than half that. The rebuilt Perkins is with what they're asking.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 12:00   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Westsail 32

I didn't see mention of the deck construction or status. Really need to check that. If the decks are plywood and rotted it could make this a really big rebuild.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 12:20   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsheep View Post
Got a call from the seller this morning. Standing rigging is all there, as is the entire interior in teak. Gallery is there. Needs wiring, insulation, and everything installed. One of those illness forces sale deals. The bottom has been primed, needs paint. The entire top from the boot top up is redone and painted. Bow sprit and boomkin is there, needs installed. The tackle is there, but may be some missing. Bronze hawsepipe needs installed. Portlights need installed.
Lots of work. Lots already done. Don't know about the sail complement, I'm waiting for info on that.
It needs a good washing, but has been in a pole barn for several years.
It will cost about $1500 to transport the vessel to a shipyard, I'm looking at possibly Charleston at Coos Bay.
The asking price is well below $10K. Less than half that. The rebuilt Perkins is with what they're asking.
Get a survey. Too many variables for my taste. The whole notion that they'd scrap it before they'd cut the price is just crazy talk. Show them you mean business, but that doesn't mean you'll roll over. If you want it, get that survey. It will either scare you off, or will provide "discount points" to get them to realistically value the boat. The rebuilt Perkins is a "by whom, and when, and how many hours since?" If it's under 1,000, you're probably good to good, but see if they carry common spares and see if that make of Perkins still has a reasonable supply of spares OR is a marinized version of some small truck engine (The Westerbeke W-52 is actually the same Mazda R2 diesel found in a zillion Mazda B2000s and Ford Rangers, for instance.)
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 12:37   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsheep View Post
I found a Westie 32 that has everything that Capt. Fatty says to look for and what I need.... a major problem, a ticking clock, and the right price range.
She's been barned for a major refit, as yet incomplete. (The major problem). She has all the paint and fiberglass redone from the boot top up, but still needs the bottom painted. Everything in the interior has been removed, but is stored, needs re-installed and evaluated. Has a rebuilt Perkins M50. Everything is there, allegedly.
(The ticking clock)- she will be sold by 12 DEC, or scrapped.

So, hold your breath, folks. This wannabe may soon be a nearly there! Lots of sweat equity involved, but if everything I've read is correct, the Westies are one of the safest boats out there.
When you say interior removed, do you mean gutted or things like doors and drawers removed and ready to start refinishing. If the former, expect a year of full time work to launch the boat. BTDT, built a Westsail kit with engine installed. Launched it in a year and took another year to complete and leave for SoPac. Cost more money and the tips of four fingers than if I'd bought a factory boat and left at least a year earlier. Don't regret building building the boat but since our goal was to go cruising ASAP, it wasn't the optimum route to follow.

FWIW, think the W32 is a great cruiser, fast in its element and roomy for its length. Thought about buying our old boat back when the sailing bug bit again.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 13:00   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

One not insignificant problem in trying to bolt something back together again that someone else has pulled apart is figuring out what goes where.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 15:43   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

If this is the one in Salem it really says bargain. I'd not hesitate if I were in the market.
You'll learn a lot putting her back together.
kind regards,
Old 29-11-2013, 17:33   #22

It indeed is the one in Salem.
The interior has been removed, not just the cabinetry, but the headliner as well.
I realize it's a ton of work and expense, but like Zee said, I'll sure know my boat when I'm done!
I think also that the main focus will be to make her safe and seaworthy first, then add in the bling.
I've got a shop full of tools, and a retired machinist with a machine shop for a neighbor. My best friend remodels houses. It'll be fun, of I get it!
Old 29-11-2013, 17:56   #23

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Re: Wet Snail 32

[QUOTE=Celestialsailor;1402829]Having done this a few times, I can tell you that nothing is as it seems. Who put the 12 DEC. notation on the boat? Why would one scrap a boat if "everything is there".
If the vessel was $10K or less...maybe. Over that amount, probably not. I've seen a few turnkey W32s in Ca. go in the low to mid 30s. And please...you do yourself nor the boat any justice by using the derogatory term "Wet Snail".

Celestialsailor,

Thanks.

I respect your comment.

Op; Please watch this short video.

endoftheroad

endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 21:33   #24

Didn't mean to upset you Celestial. I rather thought it was somewhat a term of endearment. I guess it would depend upon your perspective, It could be an analogy as to it's lack of speed, in which case I could perhaps see the dig. But, what if it were meant to imply an 'armored one', as a snail carries it's shell, protecting the occupant ? Or even 'one that carries his home on his back', like a vagabond or gypsy, an implication of self-sufficiency?
I think the term could be many things.
In so much so, I think that if I purchase said vessel, I shall christen her "Madeo Coclea". I think that is correct Latin, but I've never studied the language and had to rely on the Notre Dame translator to arrive at it. Correct me if I am in error.

By the by... Love the video!! I think I heard them say 6 1/2 knots, with a 20knot breeze. Now I'll have to look for more vids. Looks like a Westie is a fine vessel. Not everybody goes for speed, and from what I've been reading, the Westies actually do quite well. I'll sacrifice speed for endurance and safety any day, but it looks like the Westies can provide both. It seems the skipper is the key element to getting some speed out of them.
Old 29-11-2013, 22:42   #25

The Westsail is a rock solid cruising boat. I dont care for them since they have a very poor cockpit. It is just a foot well on the deck with no combings to keep water out. Also no back support. If you take water on deck it runs all of the way aft and splashes into the cockpit area(which has no protection). Maybe some have been built otherwise, but the ones I have seen are like that. Cruisers spend so much time in the cockpit , that I think a good comfortable cockpit is essential. Just my 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 22:50   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Actually, I'm not upset. That vessel will end up taking you home, even when you might not feel up to it. To be one with your boat, you should never be negative to it. Much like pointing out that your significant other has big hips or an annoying laugh.
While we all walk the docks snickering at other peoples boats, we always call to our boats by their proper names. "Joli` Elle, be the good girl you are and take me from this rough sea. Keep me safe and bring us to the next distant port".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 23:14   #27

We have been refitting a W32 for about 4 years now. It has been a big job and we still have a lot left to do before we leave in a year. Do not underestimate the costs. We bought the boat for 30k and will have put at least double that back into her before she she is done.

Many people say they're slow and wet. Our boat has drop boards that prevent water from sloshing down the decks into the cockpit. If the wind gets about 15kts, she'll do hull speed easy. Most of the bad commentary on speed about the W32 comes from light airs I think, they do take some to get em moving. But they were built for open ocean and high winds, in that environment they're good passage makers and do pretty well speed wise.

Recently my wife and I participated in the Harvest Moon Regatta on a W32 and we were 14th overall out of about 110 boats. Boat for boat we beat some of the spinnaker fleet, which isn't bad.

We averaged 6.9kts.

In our home waters in about 15kts of wind we were doing about 7kts over ground, with just a slight current.

Old 30-11-2013, 04:41   #28

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

The "drop boards" you are referring to are called "cockpit combings".
If I'm understanding you correctly.

Actually I just wanted an excuse to bump this back into the recent posts.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 05:48   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
We have been refitting a W32 for about 4 years now. It has been a big job and we still have a lot left to do before we leave in a year. Do not underestimate the costs. We bought the boat for 30k and will have put at least double that back into her before she she is done.

Many people say they're slow and wet. Our boat has drop boards that prevent water from sloshing down the decks into the cockpit. If the wind gets about 15kts, she'll do hull speed easy. Most of the bad commentary on speed about the W32 comes from light airs I think, they do take some to get em moving. But they were built for open ocean and high winds, in that environment they're good passage makers and do pretty well speed wise.
All good stuff and yes, you can easily dump a ton of money in a refit. I have to laugh when people critisize a cruising boat for speed. My HR 35 was nimble and excellerated quickly when empty of all her stores before I ventured off. After my I launched, I had 4 1/2" of bottom paint showing above water. After stowing all my stores, spares, tools, water and diesel, I have 3/4". Since my boat displaces 950lbs. per inch, that's about 3600lbs. She is nowhere near as nimble and wallows a little in bigger seas. It's a cruising boat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 09:34   #30

Just as a comparison, there was a W32 add on the SF BAY AREA Craigslist within the last month. I think it said 10K. Boat was in Pillar Point(Half Moon Bay). I know nothing about it, but you can bet it was a major fixer. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail