Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2009, 00:54   #1

Boat: Endurance 37, Long Keel, cutter rig, Sea-Jay (1979, Knysna)
Walker Bay Genesis 310FTD

Ok, ive decided on the Walker Bay Genesis which is on its way to me. Now its maximum hp rating is 15hp. What will the repurcussions of putting a honda 20hp on her be? The weight is identical to the 15hp however its obviously got a little bit more torque to it. This extra kick will help plane the boat when loaded with 4 fully grown men, however my question is what are the safety risks to the extra torque?

From my understanding it is a weight or weight distribution issue, as when this walker bay model has a console fitted, it is rated to take a 20hp. Is this all it comes down to?

Many Thanks!
Sea-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 15:44   #2

I've got the same Walker Bay. I've been running a 15 hp two stroke and I think it's too much horse power with one guy in it. With two people or more it performs very well. For what it's worth I would not put a 20 on it.

BT
rmtaylorIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:11   #3

I was talking to a dealer this weekend about that very thing. We were looking at the console boat and I wondered why the difference. He said that there is a combination of factors- the way the boat performs, how the weight is distributed, along with the normal things like size and weight of the boat. Because the center console shifts the weight forward, and the driver has a stable platform to sit on and steer from, they consider it to be able to handle a 20. Makes sense I guess. There seems to be no structural reason to not put a 20 on it. Other than the CG will ticket you if your sticker says 15 and it has a 20. Maybe you could get the other sticker. He showed me the different versions of the stickers and they put the corresponding one on if you get the console added on.
Valyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 19:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Don't overpower the boat. Max is max. Usually, max is too much. After some experience, you'll be able to drive it just fine, but put a novice at the tiller, and you could hurt someone.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 20:28   #5

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
I had a boat rated for 90hp with a 150hp outboard. It was a lot of fun. A little squirrely at at 50+ MPH during fast turns but sure was a lot of fun.

I'm thinking about getting the same dink or a 340FTD with a 25HP Yamaha 2 stoke. I assume the center console would make all the difference? It's well within the weight limit.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:39   #6

The 340 with the console is actually rated for a 30. If you do not get the console it is only rated for a 25. I made the same point above...

Now if you can still find a 2 stroke, it is going to not only be faster, but lighter then a 4stroke of the same HP. But you probably already knew that!
Valyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:51   #7

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Jay View Post
Ok, ive decided on the Walker Bay Genesis which is on its way to me. Now its maximum hp rating is 15hp. What will the repurcussions of putting a honda 20hp on her be? The weight is identical to the 15hp however its obviously got a little bit more torque to it. This extra kick will help plane the boat when loaded with 4 fully grown men, however my question is what are the safety risks to the extra torque?

From my understanding it is a weight or weight distribution issue, as when this walker bay model has a console fitted, it is rated to take a 20hp. Is this all it comes down to?

Many Thanks!
I own a Genesis 3.1 (shipped it in from the US), and have purchased a 15HP Yamaha 2-stroke for it.

I saw the dealer here in NZ who occasionally sells them down here (no one wants to pay the extra cost for one) and saw the only other Genesis I was aware of here back in the show-room with the joint between the tube and the transom ripped apart.

When I inqiured from the dealer what happened, I was told that the guy who purchased it placed an oversized 25HP on it (believe I was told it was a 4-stroke thus also heavier) and his two sons were "playing around" with it.

Personally I am almost certain I'd seen this very same Genesis with just a 15HP 4-stroke on it.

Regardless, that cemented my views on this matter: don't overpower it! The torque and forces placed on that joint (molded plastic and Hypolon) obviously will be too great with an oversized engine.
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, tender, walker bay