Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2017, 11:09   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Walk through - AMEL Super Maramu

Hello Gang,

Many of you would consider this boat for a circumnavigation.

A friend of mine just placed a 30 min video on youtube and frankly, it is very informative and factual. He even has footage of the AMEL specific downwind rig in action.

For those of you who are interested, here is the link. Just give them a "like" or even subscribe. They would appreciate it.

Happy New Year to all

Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 11:17   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Walk through - AMEL Super Maramu

And the link is...???
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 11:21   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
And the link is...???
Shows up here as a video still with a play button, straight to YT
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 13:19   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I'm a multihuller but I enjoyed watching that. The sheer amount of systems is crazy. I don't think I' like to be solo sailing that. But it's a lovely boat.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 18:40   #5

Other than electric furling, perhaps genset, AC, washing machine, Bow Thruster you probably have everything else.

Amel chose top quality components and reliability is excellent. For instance, my 28 YO boat just had a failure of the mainsail outhaul gearbox. It is the original unit.

Fair winds to you
Old 29-12-2017, 19:14   #6

We love ours.

We find the systems (when well maintained!) to be reliable and they make life easy. Not for anybody scared of, or sloppy about, keeping a boat in good condition with careful and planned maintenance, however.

As for it being a "complicated" boat... I really wonder what an Amel has that is not pretty much standard on other modern cruising boats of their size? I think the problem is that Amels had those things 25 years ago when they were new and strange, and people just keep repeating the same thing over and over...

Our last boat was a much more spartan 40 footer. This is, by comparison, very posh, and we do enjoy the creature comforts. I confess to a certain softness around the edges as I age.

I think the setup makes shorthanded sailing EASY. Squall coming up behind you at 2AM? No need to call "All Hands". Sails are reefed in, literally, 30 seconds by wiggling two fingers. Squall past? Shake out the reef just as easy and fast. No need to worry if the wind will pick up again just as you finish shaking out the last reef.

If you really WANT to go out on deck to handle sails you still can! Each sail has a fully manual system for furling and reefing, so if you prefer to avoid the electric reefing motors, feel free

http://fetchinketch.net
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 19:50   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm a fan. I've been around quite a few over the last eight years.
I agree with previous poster maintaince is key. These boats are getting old. Some very good friends have had their 98 model since new, they maintain it immaculately and the boat responds accordingly. Still doing very well after 17years of circumnavigating. He's pointed out to me not all are maintained as well, thus problems.

Another friend who isn't as capable has had many costly problems in recent years, I believe (but not sure) that the difference is the owners.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 21:18   #8

Yes, owner expertise and care is critical. We met one Amel owner who complained that he had something that broke "every day."

Now, I "fix" things on my boat every day, if by that you mean I lubricate, inspect, clean, adjust, paint, change seals or bearings, etc. I don't think that's excessive, it is just what you have to do to keep a largish cruising boat working. Actual, unexpected serious, failures? Those are rare. Maybe 2 or 3 a year, and we are full time cruisers.

Once boats get to a certain age, you are in a constant cycle of replacement and upgrade. Just as an example, it is unrealistic to expect a fresh water pump to last 30 years in daily use. Part of the art of cruising boat maintenance is to recognize the things that are aging, and have drop in spares ready to go while still avoiding sinking the waterline with spares of EVERYTHING. And if you are a real artist you see the problem coming and swap out the spare before you're left with a non-functional system.

One thing I see a lot is people need to replace a 20 year old pump that failed. The original pump was a high end premium part that cost maybe $800. They replace it with a $100 POS from West Marine and then they wonder why it fails in 3 years. If you have five pumps of various types on board and each one has a realistic life span of 3 or 4 years, you are going to be constantly frustrated with pumps!

Amel installed very high end parts when the boat was built--it was reflected in the price of the new boats! People replace the old parts with stuff you might find on a Beneteau or Jenneau built cheap for charter service and then wonder why they have trouble keeping the boat going like it used to.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 22:16   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Yes, owner expertise and care is critical. We met one Amel owner who complained that he had something that broke "every day."

Now, I "fix" things on my boat every day, if by that you mean I lubricate, inspect, clean, adjust, paint, change seals or bearings, etc. I don't think that's excessive, it is just what you have to do to keep a largish cruising boat working. Actual, unexpected serious, failures? Those are rare. Maybe 2 or 3 a year, and we are full time cruisers.

Once boats get to a certain age, you are in a constant cycle of replacement and upgrade. Just as an example, it is unrealistic to expect a fresh water pump to last 30 years in daily use. Part of the art of cruising boat maintenance is to recognize the things that are aging, and have drop in spares ready to go while still avoiding sinking the waterline with spares of EVERYTHING. And if you are a real artist you see the problem coming and swap out the spare before you're left with a non-functional system.

One thing I see a lot is people need to replace a 20 year old pump that failed. The original pump was a high end premium part that cost maybe $800. They replace it with a $100 POS from West Marine and then they wonder why it fails in 3 years. If you have five pumps of various types on board and each one has a realistic life span of 3 or 4 years, you are going to be constantly frustrated with pumps!

Amel installed very high end parts when the boat was built--it was reflected in the price of the new boats! People replace the old parts with stuff you might find on a Beneteau or Jenneau built cheap for charter service and then wonder why they have trouble keeping the boat going like it used to.
Yes, "Boat awarness". That's our job. I try to replace before I have to. The lube, paint, spray list never ends.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 08:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

Hello Bill,

Another example, my boat is hull 007, delivered in 1989; one of the first of the nearly 500 built. 3 weeks ago, the ORIGINAL fresh water pump failed. I replaced it with a Marco EP12/E as I think you've done. Now I can wash the decks while simultaneously providing lots of water flow for 3 people showering... and in nearly total silence. I expect this pump to operate for 25 years.

The morale of the story? Garbage in Garbage out.
Old 30-12-2017, 10:43   #11

Great vessels, I sailed on one for three months. Laid out very well and a pleasure to sail!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 11:40   #12

Boat: Amel 50

While I was cruising the S. Pacific, I met many Amel cruisers and they all raved about their boats.

As I am a skeptic, I visited the Amel factory and talked to Olivier Racoupeau (the current Amel designer) and the boom supplier, a couple of months ago. It was by far the most impressive boat factory I've ever visited, not in terms of automation but in attention to detail. Everything that goes on an Amel boat is designed and scrutinized to make sure it lasts and performs the way it should. Every supplier is selected very carefully (the boom supplier went on and on about how specific Amel is about quality and timely delivery requirements). The mast & boom alone are pieces of art/perfection. I also visited the CNB and Privilege factories. Their priorities were very different (That's all I have to say about that, Forest Gump)...

Anyway, I went to the factory with the intention to like the Amel 55 (and buy a used one) but I ended putting a deposit on the Amel 50, with May 2019 delivery. Over 15 of them are already sold. Mine will be hull #19 or 20, I believe.

My wife and I are very excited to be part of the Amel family. I can certainly understand why it is almost like a cult. Amel's are special boats from a special factory.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 14:24   #13

Good for you, Boomer! If I could afford a new one I'd do the same, unfortunately for me, a good used Amel is slightly out of reach.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 20:51   #14

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

AMEL=quality. Top drawer and worth it. If I stay mono, that’s my. boat.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 21:08   #15

I think I have seen a Vlog featuring the Amel boat can't quite recall who did does the videos
willpower1 is offline   Reply With Quote