Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 18:12   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
We have a Volvo 2002 (that is the model) 18hp engine, circa 1985. Parts are a bit pricey, but sofar we have had no trouble sourcing them through a dealer or the net. I have replaced the alternator and starter with non-volvo parts, which were a fraction of the OEM cost, and have worked fine thusfar. on the 2001,2002 and 2003 engines and variants, the cooling system does use some finiky seals, but when they are replaced properly, they do their job well enough. I would not seach out a boat becuause it had a Volvo, nor would I avoid it.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 18:37   #17

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Some parts for Volvo are expensive, others are comparable or even cheaper than other makes. We have a 1988 MD 31A with 4500 hours on it and it runs like a top. The exhaust elbow, heat exchanger and injection pump have been replaced but that's not unusual for that many hours. I wouldn't reject a boat based on what type of engine is in it, it's more important to accurately assess the condition of the engine. If it's in bad shape then negotiate a price on the boat with re-powering in mind.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 19:01   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
The Markups by dealers are outrageous....I had a customer that wanted to lay in a set of injectors as spares for his 3 cyl Volvo....the local place wanted $1500.00.

He complained to Volvo reps at a boats show.....and they made arrangements for a much better price....$750.00 if I remember correctly.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 19:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
The Markups by dealers are outrageous....I had a customer that wanted to lay in a set of injectors as spares for his 3 cyl Volvo....the local place wanted $1500.00.

He complained to Volvo reps at a boats show.....and they made arrangements for a much better price....$750.00 if I remember correctly.
what model please
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 17:39   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
We have a 30 y.o. MD7 that started circumnavigating when it was 23 y.o. ... this engine never ever failed us !!!

Re re-branding - also the 55 is a Perkins block and the new small engines from (D13 etc) too.

(Vetus are Mitsubishi and Hyundai (and Deutz). Etc. quite common practice.)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:50   #21

I have a 1983 md11d on my boat and have had no issues - turn the key and it starts and pushes my boat along at 6 knots with ease. It's noisy compared with yanmars though.

I'm fanatical about oil and fuel filter changes and when going out for a sail, I always run it hard for at least 20 minutes before shutting it down and raising sail. Maybe this has helped with having pretty good luck with our volvo.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 13:36   #22

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I have a 1978 MD-17C in Sabre Dance. When I bought the boat it was unknown as to how or even if the previous owner had prepped her for winter, so I hired the local mechanic to check it out before I launched. Anyway, he found that the raw water cooling system had been properly prepped so we then hooked a water hose to a bucket in the cockpit and an extension hose to the water inlet hose so it could draw water at its own rate from the bucket. Opened the decomp valves and spun her over for about a minute, then popped the valves shut one at a time and she started right away. No smoke, no problems other that the water pump was pooched. That cost a tad over $300 to rebuild, IE rework the body and bushing and put in a new impellor.

A week later we launched, and the mech came down to supervise the engine start. We fired it up and the marina disappeared in a huge black cloud of smoke. After about 30 seconds it cleared and the engine ran fine.

Over the course of the summer I noticed it smoking a bit, and one day noticed my bilge was full of oil. The entire contents of the oil pan was in there. Nothing on the dipstick. I refilled the pan, and ran the engine but can not find any obvious leak. I have since spoken to a rebuilder, who sez that depending on what he finds when he starts the rebuild, it will cost between $5-11K. Apparently the MD-17c has a habit of spinning the number one crank bearing because of the high degree of slope that it will run at when installed. Oil distribution problem to the bearing shell. IF thats the case, $11k. Other wise they seem to go between $5-8K.

I can by an new Nanni for about $9 and pick it up myself in Montreal. I can also get a british built Kubota from Beta Marine FOB toronto airport for about the same.

I think Im going to see about changing out the engine.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:46   #23

SabreKai,

Does the $9K include installation or just drop-shipped?
Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 13:58   #24

No installation. Just the engine in a box. You will have to do the installation and alignment yourself. The price on the Beta was good last fall so it may no longer exist. I haven't spoken to the fellow in a while, due to a chronic lack of funds.

Sabre
Old 11-02-2010, 14:18   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
If you know who made the engine, you can go down to your local tractor, etc store and buy parts way cheaper than the 'Marinizer.'
be careful with Volvo engines, There are often sutble differences in the parts between the marine and non-marine versions, including heads and blocks. For example the TAMD61 is a volvo truck engine but the head is machines slightly differently and the case hardening is different.

In practice theres very little you can use from the non-marine versions of volvo engines, and this is even more true with the modern series engines
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
I have a 1978 MD-17C in Sabre Dance. When I bought the boat it was unknown as to how or even if the previous owner had prepped her for winter, so I hired the local mechanic to check it out before I launched. Anyway, he found that the raw water cooling system had been properly prepped so we then hooked a water hose to a bucket in the cockpit and an extension hose to the water inlet hose so it could draw water at its own rate from the bucket. Opened the decomp valves and spun her over for about a minute, then popped the valves shut one at a time and she started right away. No smoke, no problems other that the water pump was pooched. That cost a tad over $300 to rebuild, IE rework the body and bushing and put in a new impellor.

A week later we launched, and the mech came down to supervise the engine start. We fired it up and the marina disappeared in a huge black cloud of smoke. After about 30 seconds it cleared and the engine ran fine.

Over the course of the summer I noticed it smoking a bit, and one day noticed my bilge was full of oil. The entire contents of the oil pan was in there. Nothing on the dipstick. I refilled the pan, and ran the engine but can not find any obvious leak. I have since spoken to a rebuilder, who sez that depending on what he finds when he starts the rebuild, it will cost between $5-11K. Apparently the MD-17c has a habit of spinning the number one crank bearing because of the high degree of slope that it will run at when installed. Oil distribution problem to the bearing shell. IF thats the case, $11k. Other wise they seem to go between $5-8K.

I can by an new Nanni for about $9 and pick it up myself in Montreal. I can also get a british built Kubota from Beta Marine FOB toronto airport for about the same.

I think Im going to see about changing out the engine.

Sabre
that quote is quite reasonable for an engine that is 32 years old.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:40   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Just in case you are not aware, a change to a different make of engine can cost as much as the engine. If the engine beds need to be changed, you are looking at 2 boat units or more. A shaft change, instrument panel, rewiring, replumbing, etc. can add up to real money, as well.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 17:12   #28

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
The crux with any make/model of engine can be how it has been cared for and when it goes wrong, the dealer. Get the engine surveyed and find out who your local dealer is and go talk with them. First impressions can be important, but the older the engine, the more of an issue it will be for parts supply and the ultimate cost of maintenance and repair. Although Volvo-Penta are reknown for the expense of spare parts, there are others moreso, particularly engines that have no support in the USA.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 17:49   #29

I did a bit of looking around, and yes, the price quoted is a good figure. I'm just inclined to say a rebuilt 32 year old engine thrills me a lot less than a new engine and reworking the mounts, shaftlog and what ever else needs it. Thats the beauty of a steel boat. I have repair/replace the shaft log anyway, so it makes no difference in this case. Rebuilding the mounts is also not much of a major problem in this case. I can simply lower the existing mounting flange by about half an inch, easy enough to do with an angle grinder. Weld the new flanges on and then line up the new shaft log. Its all gotta be done anyway. I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck. I think new engine is the way to go in this case.

I do have another option which is to take the 94 Yanmar 3gm30 out of Espina and install that. That engine has very little time on it, and works very well. Of course then I have a 31foot boat with no engine. Being as the market sucks, I guess she may end up in the scrap yard. Even with the engine in, I doubt I'll be able to get $5K for her.

Sabre
Old 11-02-2010, 17:50   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
"The Green Grief" is a common name for Volvo engines among some of us old techs.
Since I have been threatened by this company for relating my experiences, I will not say any more. Contact me off the forum, if I can help.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo