Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2016, 06:47   #1

Viking 28 info pls

Hi all, I'm a newbie to CF, and to sailing anything more than a dingy since highschool. I'm now the owner of a '73 V28. Being a well used boat I'm repairing bits and pieces, but am in the water. No show stoppers/surprises, two very honest guys in Kingston, Ont. sold it to me. Newish yanmar 1gm had been fitted and is running great, etc.

What I'm looking for are interior configuration photos. They were sold finished/semi is my understanding, so while doing some bulkhead cleanup and retabbing I'd like to improve the galley area, a sink and water tank being all presently. Aiming for a comfortable weekender, no more. If anyone has one of these boats, or info/suggestions I'd love to hear from you. Known weaknesses and problem areas would also be helpful info. Have tow rail seepage and a keel/bolt weeping , both minor but on this springs to do list. Many tx, Tim
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 08:05   #2

Boat: Douglas 32
Re: Viking 28 info pls

Dymaxion,
I was looking at buying one a couple of years ago.

Your hull colour? Yellow? light blue? Is it a pop-top?

Start here: Home page

Trapper 28 Forum: Trapper Owners Association Bulletin Board - Trapper 28/400

CNC photo album: Viking 28

Specs: VIKING 28 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Read: Viking 28
Quote:
The Viking was the first of the C&C-designed Viking series built by Ontario Yachts in Oakville, Ontario. About 147 Viking 28s were built by Ontario Yachts between 1968 and 1983. Although initially offered in kit form, many subsequent Vikings were professionally finished. A number of modifications to the design were made in 1974, and included the addition of a pop-top hatch and a wider companionway. At the same time, the mast step area and vee-berth were altered to strengthen the hull. The Viking 28 was available with either an outboard engine in a well in the lazarette, or with a 7 hp Vire two-cycle gasolene inboard.

At 28 ft 2 in. LOA and 4,755 lbs, the Viking was considerably lighter for its size than most designs at that time. Cuthbertson comments that, "at 47 per cent ballast (with 2,250 lbs. of cast iron in a 4 ft 6 in. fin keel), she was heavily ballasted for her day." Interestingly, in the early '70s the Viking 28 made its way overseas when it was built by Anesty Yachts in England and renamed the Trapper 28. Seventy of these Euro-Vikings were built.
Hope you find some owners online, does not seem to be any Viking 28 owners in this forum. - Kim
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 11:44   #3

Many thanks for the links. Did have a go through most of them before I bought it. Trapper site seems quiet.

Hull is red and she's listed on the V28 owners site. One sold at a car auction here last fall, sank during Hurricane Arthur, salvager then took possession and pretty much finished it off. Had a nice galley layout, better than mine. One FS on kiijij.nb in Shediac now, nice but pricey. Fun boat, nimble and quick to get moving. 4900lbs light. Tim
Old 16-10-2016, 12:29   #4

Boat: Mirage 27 Bob Perry Design

Just found your post. I picked up a V28 in August as a restoration project. It's the most hideous shade of yellow I've ever seen... for now. I planted it at my shop the day I picked it up and didn't do anything with it until this weekend, and now I'm planning the interior. I've gutted the main salon so far, and in the next couple weeks the V birth. That's likely all I will do this year.

I'm going to try to attach a couple photos of where I'm at with it now.

Best of luck with yours,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161015_135541.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	132974   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161015_135833.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	132975  

Name:	20161015_135716.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	132976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161015_173944.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	132977  

Name:	20161015_174114.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	132978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161015_174136.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	132979  

BMcNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 12:16   #5

Boat: Westsail 28

Dymaxion , congrats on your new to you boat . Sounds like you are going to have a blast . One thing I can recommend is a Origo alcohol stove , they make a 2 burner and a 1 burner . They are non pressurized . We have been using ours for over 20yrs. One thing I will heavily suggest you do not get or use is a Chinese knock off of a Coleman stove with a screw on propane bottle . Don't ask . And of course a BBQ grill for out side . Have fun !
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 04:53   #6

Congrats on your Viking, looks like quite a challenge ahead of you. OTOH you get the layout you want once you're done! Since they're in plain sight, torqued down the keel bolts? Mine were all loose and I had some seepage in via them. Ended up raking out the keel pocket seam and caulking then fairing with West epoxy. Do you have the inboard version or outboard well in the lazarette?

Mine came without any stove, have seen one with Origo 2 burner on stbd side. I put propane one in with new sink/tank this spring. Tinkering never ends.

The V28 group is marginally active but very helpful webmaster. Sign up! There is a stripped out hull racing in Ontario, so the hulls may be solid enough for that. Get yourself in the water with a clean dry hull asap, rather than sit on the hard for a few summers working on perfection. Cockpit ample long enough to sleep in under a boom tent if you need. Cheers
Old 28-05-2019, 19:38   #7

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and have just purchased a 1973 V28. Are there any newer posts, groups, or resources available for this boat? Anything that may be helpful would be appreciated, thanks!
Klonergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 02:51   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Klonergan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 05:10   #9

Hi Klonegan. I haven't found any more information than the links given already above. And a couple of you tube vids. There are a couple for sale now in Ontario kijiji and one in new brunswick kijiji. I haven't contacted them, may be a source of some info. Feel free to PM me, may be able to help. A question for you, does your mast have a hinge plate at its base? I have a plate on cabin top with hinge pin holes but no mast piece. I have stepped the mast myself using it, but with a homemade mast piece. More than a bit sketchy but doable. Cheers.
Old 29-05-2019, 07:01   #10

Hi Dymaxion,

Yes I have a hinge plate on the mast and deck and will send over a picture next time I'm at the boat. I'm located at CBYC and they have a mast crane, but even with the help of some veteran members it was a scary experience.

A couple projects I'm hoping to do over the next couple of years:
- Plumb in a Thetford Marine 550P MSD Porta Potti
- Replace the windows
- Repair the deck around several stanchion bases. This would be a significant project for my level of experience with fiberglass and epoxy.

I'm fairly certain there is moisture in the deck core but no issues so far. There are several places where old deck equipment was removed and drill holes not plugged properly that I'm concerned about. Otherwise everything seems to be in great shape and we were out for the first time last weekend.
Klonergan is offline   Reply With Quote