Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2014, 08:56   #31

Re: Vessels to consider for circumnavigation

There is a westsail 43 in bayfield wisconsin for sale. It looks in pet fect shape and has only been in fresh water. It looks like you could spend a couple days removing the lights in the cabin and go. Its a beautiful boat and would be number one on my list. The downside is it is in Wisconsin. Ive looked st boats for 4 years I know about every ad it is by far one of the cleanest around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-12-2014, 08:57   #32

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/boats.../United-States

Old 15-12-2014, 08:59   #33

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Look up John Kretschmer's book, "Sail A Serious Ocean". In it, he gives a good review of what he feels the best long-range cruising designs have been to date, and I suspect one or two will fit your needs. It's an interesting book to read, as well.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 09:12   #34

Boat: Formosa/Peterson 46 Cutter

Our 1977 Formosa Peterson is a great sea boat with a fairly deep keel but it's our 19th boat and a lot of thought went into choosing this boat. Not much teak on the outside to worry about, nice cockpit to stretch out in, center cockpit but not high up on the boat. Really lovely but not particularly beamy, cause she sails and she's cozy inside for two of us. We can easily add kids and grandkids but being a solid layup 77 the part I like best is access and visibility of all parts of the hull via the storage lockers, under settee, head compartments. Not all hidden behind headliner material.
Simple and solid. We paid $55 and expect to have about $15 more in her before we set off next Fall. Some sail work, but not too much needs replacing the guy before us rerigged with new mast, we put in new thru holes, it has all new opening hatches, a good windlass, a great remodeled galley with working refer which we have never had! I expect this boat to serve us well, get good fuel mileage with one engine. Long waterline is a nicer ride, so is the fuller keel. Good headroom inside. We are having the mainsail remodeled with a nice system that catches the sail and settles it into a close up from the top sail cover. You can get a lot for under $100 if you are patient.
I'd stay away from older cored anything....too big a chance for waterlogged hulls and decks. If you can get away from a cored deck or older plywood you are better off in the long run!
19 and counting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 09:23   #35

Boat: Brewer 42

I'll throw a vote in the hat for a Whitby/Brewer 42. We ended up on a shakedown cruise last week that saw 20' waves and 35kt winds in the Gulf of Mexico.

My Brewer 42 loved it, and was still comfortable enough that nobody aboard got sick. Planning on leaving this summer to begin a circumnavigation ourselves!

The owners association is incredible...lots of good info floating around about these boats.
Old 15-12-2014, 09:41   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Can you run a 165A alternator with a 10hp aux???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 10:05   #37

Boat: Alberg 30

Check out John Vigor's respected book "Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere"

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Small-S...8419370&sr=1-3
perfent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 10:42   #38

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I wouldn't rule out some of the more modern fin keel boats I have a Beneteau 38 and it has plenty of room for two but easily singled handed. All through hulls are accessible and you might apprciate modern tech like composite rudder post and things There was actually a family of four who sailed around the world on one and the wife has written a few books about it. They did convert to a cutter rig without much expense or hassle. One of her books is "Cruising for Cowards" Liz Copeland.

If you wish speak to Michelle the sail master at the Royal Canadian Yacht club in Toronto. She is very familiar with the boat and uses it for winter charter here in southern California for the club.

The Cals are good boats also but are older coastal cruisers and because of the construction era did suffer a few problems with bulkheads coming away from the hull and such. A book called sailing "Low Key " by Captain woody tells of his circumnavigation around the world on a Cal 34 in search of the cheapest beer in each harbor (Fun Reading) when he was about your age.

Zac Sunderland did it in an Islander 36 at 16 years old, another Coastal cruiser so your options are many more than you think. You need to get what you like and then learn the boat. RCYC has two charters coming down to California in February so far . You may want to check with Michelle and see if there is an opening.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 11:51   #39

Boat: Hudson 50

Congratulations on your plans to go cruising. I'm in the same boat, so to speak. We sold the house and bought a boat and are getting her ready to go cruising in a couple of years. I'm a bit older than you. I put off my big dream until the kids were grown and the career was solid and the mortgage was paid off and all that stuff we are supposed to do. But unfortunately life has a way of happening in it's own way that isn't necessarily what we were expecting. If I had to do it all again I would have gone much earlier. So good for you.
As for what kind of boat to buy, I think that a Hans Christian 43 ketch is probably the gold standard although I have seen some nice Corbin 39's and Westsail 42's out there. My neighbor at the marina is currently rebuilding a Cal 2-46 and he seems very happy with her. When I think of cruising in the Trade Winds a heavy displacement full keel traditional Ketch or Cutter rigged sloop sounds pretty good to me. We ended up with a Hudson 50 , a big heavy displacement full keel ketch that will be a bit of a challenge for the two of us to sail but is very comfortable in big seas and heavy weather. If you plan to return to Canada at the end of your voyage you may want to think about resale value. i.e. what boats hold their price in your market. But you also want a boat that is beautiful. You will have to put in a lot of work to get these old girls ready for cruising and you should get a lift every time you look at her . It will keep you going with the things to do list seems to get longer and longer. It's a buyers market out there and you should be able to find a good deal. Don't forget to get a good survey so you don't get a nasty surprise. Once you settle on a type of boat there are lots of folks that can advise you on what common problems to look for.

As for sailing single handed or with crew , a lot of my friends tell me that they pick up crew as they go. There are lots of interesting people out there at the sailing cross roads around the world i.e. St Bart's, Panama, etc. Just be sure to get a sailing resume and check references. Who knows what will happen. It is an adventure you are seeking after all.
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 13:26   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Personal opinion follows....

What about the RAF?? (Row Away Factor)

Can this boat ever leave you with a smile on your face as you depart in your dink?? (Poor thing took ugly pills for breakfast)

I think I know what you mean, and I take your comment in good spirit.

There are boats that I see that make me want to row over to them (and sail them or own them). And a few make me cringe when I see them, but those are very rare.

Of course I have heard the same or similar said about the Amel boats ("Amels look like they were hit with an ugly stick" etc.). While I like the Amel Maramu (and similar) styling, obviously many other sailors do not and some consider them ugly. Someone French might say: "à chacun son goût" (To each his own taste.)

Of course I also consider a maxim: "Never question a man's choice of home, wife, or dog..." to which I add "...and boat."

Regarding the Colvin Gazelle.
I admit it is a boat that does not have the look of a CCA boat with smooth lines and graceful overhangs.

At first, I did not like their look or styling either. I thought them ugly too. But, with time and some reading about their place in the world of sailboats (many are amateur built, many have gone on long voyages or circumnavigated, most are built of a metal), I began to appreciate them for their own qualities and design. I have come to admire them for their OWN look and their practical rig (junk rig) and their success as a cruiser.

So, now I see them like I see some dog breeds that may not look "pretty" to most, but may be admired for some other qualities, even if most people might consider them ugly at first site.

A little more about the Colvin boats:

My Suggestion to those who do not know about Thomas Colvin (boat designer): visit the Colvin website and read a bit there about the designer (he lived aboard his junk rigged boat and cruised with his family for 16 years) and his views of metals for boats and rigs and desirable characteristics. Colvin Site Index

I will post a few photos of other Colvin Gazelles I have collected. Most are 42 LOD (with LOA about 56). I think seeing them under sail is the best way to appreciate the total boat (as the Junk Rig is such an important element of the total boat design). To my eye, they look nice under sail. Distinctive, salty, and even somewhat graceful for a "junk" styled boat.

The photos that follow are not all of the boat I linked before. These are same Gazelle design and size and ONE of the photo (the boat on hard) shows the boat I linked earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colvin Gazelle 42 1985 Sailing.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	93636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colvin Gazelle 42 1985 Water.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	93637  

Name:	Colvin Gazelle 42 2004 Sailing.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	93638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colvin Gazelle 42 INDIGO Sailing.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	93639  

Name:	Colvin Gazelle on Water.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	93640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colvin Gazelle 42 1975 JOSS Hard.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	93641  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 14:16   #41

Boat: Stevens 47

Here are a couple listed in Ontario:

Listings at Harris & Ellis Yachts

Listings at Harris & Ellis Yachts
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 15:27   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
Westsail 43 boat for sale in Bayfield United States - Ref: 75003 - YachtWorld.com Mobile

That is the nicest interior I have seen on any Westsails, and shows someone cared a lot for his or her boat! Extraordinary details and woodwork.

The old fashioned hanging lights don't bother me, I would keep them for their salty charm. The deck prisms bring in a lot of light too. Salty!

I enjoyed viewing it.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 15:38   #43

The Fast Passage 39 is a very nice boat. Well built too. not too many around though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 16:14   #44

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

I just recently returned from a year long 3500 mile Caribbean cruise on a Young Sun 43 Cutter, which I spent the previous year TOTALLY equiping for a circumnavigation, including Monitor windvane, Spectra 200 gpd water maker, Kiss wind Generater, 3 x 135 watt solar panels, new S/S water and fuel tanks, Trysail stowed on its own track, etc, etc. As much of of the sailing, including 1400 miles nonstop Panama to Lauderdale was done solo, I decided at age 78 it's just a bit too much for me and after doing some cosmetics will be putting it on the market in a few months. Let me know if interested.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 18:31   #45

Boat: Scout 30

I'd be very careful looking at that Westsail 43. That's the kind of boat it's hard to walk away from.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation