Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 21:47   #1

Boat: 1977 Newport 30 MkII
Am I Out of My Mind to Even Consider this ?

1987 Custom Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

SO, In my search for a smaller boat, I came across this...

Long story, short... my house sold for less than I had hoped and I had to rethink my boat plan. I am settling on a 30-33ft ~$20k boat to get started.

It will be a liveaboard on the Columbia River in Portland. I will likely not leave the Columbia/Willamette river system. However, it will have to make the trip down from Seattle to get here (I am hiring someone)

So anyway, it looks interesting, but it isnt a commercially made boat. It seems to have withstood the last 23 years okay, a survey will be done to be sure. Can I even get insurance on a no-name boat?

Am I crazy? Or does it look like it could be a good deal?

thanks!
shibbershabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 21:57   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Hey I know that one!

The chance of insurance is unlikely. If your going to keep it in fresh water you would want to sprinkle salt around once in a while to keep the ply from rotting. White vinegar works too but more expensive.

The specs say fiberglass but I'll bet it's glass over plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homebuilt2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	13026   Click image for larger version

Name:	homebuilt1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	13027  

Old 06-02-2010, 22:25   #3

Boat: 1977 Newport 30 MkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Hey I know that one!
Does this boat have a history????
shibbershabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 22:37   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbershabber View Post
Does this boat have a history????
Not for me. I just happened across it in a local yard on my way to the marine supplier. As a craftsman it's in my nature to notice DIYers.
Old 06-02-2010, 23:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The boat is kind of an odd duck. It looks more motorsailer than sailboat. Wonder how well it sails?? The design looks like it's optimized for NW cruising which isn't going to work well in the tropics. Suitability depends on where you plan on using the boat. It's not my kind of boat though it may be a good boat for you. Question I have is the flat bottom, hard chine design. Wonder if it will pound going to weather.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:22   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
No pictures of the engine.
I guess if all you want to do is live aboard and work on your boat it may be OK....but it really hasn't got any appeal to me.
If you do decide to make an offer....$10,000 and see what happens...these kind of builds just don't have any resale value.
A survey will make things much clearer.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:01   #7

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbershabber View Post
In my search for a smaller boat, I came across this...
Interesting amalgam of concepts… deep-draft fin keel with a pilot house… looks like generally pretty acceptable woodworking, although with curious sense of esthetics… What appears to be ply construction wouldn’t scare me off because properly done it is an entirely acceptable construction form (Gougeon, Buehler, Dix, Hartley and others refined the many variations of this long ago…), but the nearly seven-foot draft would rule it out for me; however, conceptually it is quite interesting and I’d probably be inquisitive enough for a long look anyway…

Insurance… probably not from the usual proletarian sources, but condition and construction dependant, wood boats seem to get insurance just fine from specialty sureties…
Old 07-02-2010, 06:22   #8

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Looks like a motor boat someone tried to make into a sailboat. Might be ok as an anchored house but my goodness, I wouldn't want to get caught away from the mooring in any weather! And even then...Look how much is exposed to the wind and how little is in the water! I guess it all depends on exactly what you want to get started at doing.
IMHO you can do better for the money...I realize that everyone has their priorities, but if you want to sail, I don't think this is the right move. Also think about resale..
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:34   #9

Yes, you are crazy. Most of us are.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:16   #10

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
First - daddle probably gave you the most accurate answer. Boat ownership is the short test for people who have lost a grip on reality. But I am OK with that.

Having gone through the purchase process for a long while before buying here are a few things that stuck out .
1. Not a single shot of the motor. I have a Yanmar , which is a year older but 1/3 the hours. The previous owner never changed a hose and made some unusual "enhancements" which cost me about $2000. Replacement/Rebuild - ouch. Someone may have more recent numbers but figure $5000+ on a rebuild unless you do it all yourself. Big affect on the cost of a $16,000 boat.
2. It does look like a motor sailor so get the exact numbers and run them through a capsize calculator Capsize screening formula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Guarantee it will not? Hardly - but the law of averages will be known.
3. I always like seeing the scrolling "boat show price" "price subject to change..." If they could not sell it at the boat show - can they really sell it after for more? Doubtful.
4. Start with BoatUS and ask about insurance. One-offs with no history and this age seems unlikely. Regardless get liability. Nothing worse than losing everything because your boat was cut loose by vandals and put a nice $40,000 hole in the $1.2 million CAT down river.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 13:30   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Hey I know that one!
I thought the same thing when I saw those pictures.

BTW, my father inlaw has an Ericson 32 for sale. Yanmar, radar, refrigeration, nearly new sails etc. Purchased last summer, but found out he's too old to sail it.

$23k or offer at Sailboats at Shilshole

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote