Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 20:08   #1

Boat: Transpac 49 "Pearl"
Vagabond 42 & 47, Liberty 45 - Opinions?

We are currently looking at all 3 of these boats (Vagabond 42 &47, and Liberty 45). We are a family of 4 (me, my husband, and our 2 girls-ages 7&4). We will be living aboard in the PNW until 2012 when we will be sailing south for a year or so. We've read some threads on the vagabond 47, but none for the 42 or the liberty. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!
sailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 17:39   #2

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I do not know the 42 or the Liberty, but I am curious, assuming you have a budget of 200K or more, why are you thinking about this style of boat when maintenance costs and build issues are typical concerns.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 21:39   #3

Hi Larry! Well, first off, we are very fortunate to have made some money with the purchase of our home. When we sell it, we will have a decent amount to put into a boat. We like the Vagabond because of the heavy displacement (will be cruising to South Pacific in 2012), size (we have 2 munchkins-to save my sanity I need some space), deck space, layout, and center cockpit. We are well aware of the maintenance costs. I don't understand what you mean by "build issues" though. We have been constantly viewing Yachtworld in search of all boats that fit our criteria. Honestly, we would prefer to have a 44'-45' boat. If you have any other suggestions, we'd love to hear them.
sailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 05:50   #4

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Roverhi mentions a few. Before a Vagabond, I would buy Bristol 41.1. Brewer 42, Whitby 42, CSY, Pearson 422 or 424, Gulfstar 43 to 50, Mason 43 or 44, Tayana, and a whole lot more.
Use the Search on this forum and you will find many threads. Use YachtWorld Advanced Search and look at all in your area in the 40 to 50 foot range.
You said you were aware of the maintenance. I am doubtful. Those that buy these boats do so because they love the "look" of the boat - arrrrr.
They are cool. Many are worthy, but not even close to practical IMO.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 09:45   #5

Vagabond

I posted a rather lengthy response to Roverhi's assessment of the Vagabond under "Vagabond Uh Uh". Actually owning and sailing one, I thought you may be interested in our experience as it doesn't mirror that of other posters. I realize that as an owner, I may be biased, but given that, I hope my observations are useful.
Sojouner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 23:30   #6

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I appreciate the suggestions of other boats. I have to say though, that the Vagabond 47 and 42 still top our list. We are very aware of the issues with such boats, heck, we keep buying early 1900's fixer homes and putting all sorts of sweat into them! Plus, some of our closest friends own a 51' Formosa that we have done some cruising on. The heaviness and slowness of the boat doesn't bother us either. I would feel very safe in one of these boats, and that's our main priority with the kiddos and all. Anyway, even though we like the Vagabonds, when we are ready to sell the house and move aboard, alot will depend on what's out there at that time. As new boats pop up on Yachtworld, I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions! I appreciate the knowledge and honesty you all provided.

Cheers!
Old 10-09-2009, 14:27   #7

pirate Owner of a Vagabond42

We are the proud owners of a Vagabond42 and we love this boat. It has taken us to Bermuda 3 times and since 1999 we sail to Bahamas almost every year. 2 years ago we repowered with a Westerbeke 64 and had quite a bit of work done to it. The Vagabond has taken us through what I call "thick and thin". Great sailing boat and it does have speed. No matter what any one says. Unfortunately, Magic Moments is now up for sale. If interested contact us at vagabondslr42@aol.com
Jim
vagabond42slr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 21:09   #8

Boat: Vagabond 42
To paraphrase a previous post I made on the subject, we own a Vagabond 42 and are very pleased with her performance and accommodation, which suits the two of us in tropical conditions. However, before buying, take a really close look at the quality of the woodwork in hidden corners, particularly the quality of plywood used under the cabin sole, bulkheads, etc.. Our boat was built in 1976 and we have an ongoing programme of replacement of plywood, some of which has become seriously delaminated.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:16   #9

Boat: Swan 56
47 - Beautiful interior and lots of deckspace for liveaboard.

Has anyone managed to tack one without using engine, bowthruster or backwinding the mizzen?
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:46   #10

Boat: Vagabond 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
47 - Beautiful interior and lots of deckspace for liveaboard.

Has anyone managed to tack one without using engine, bowthruster or backwinding the mizzen?
Many times, anything over ten knots of wind it tacks with no problem. We can even get the genoa to tack through, all it takes is a little practice.
Captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 14:26   #11
CLOD

Boat: none
What's the problem with backwinding the genny when tacking? This is a crusiing boat.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 15:58   #12

Yea, some of the boats listed by others are much smaller (inside) than your selections and about half of them are not any better constructed or as well constructed in my opinion. The Liberty is a very nice boat, I had friends who had the 47. (huge boat!) Strangely, even though it had a lot of freeboard, was a ketch and a pilot house of sorts, we seemed to get to the same anchorage after a day of sailing within an hour of each other. I had a Passport 47 aft cockpit low free board.... seems I remember the Liberty's were built by Ta Shing? I believe you will find the Liberty a step above the Vagabond in quality as well as the Bristol, Brewer , Whitby, Pearson and Gulfstars...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 00:01   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
I would be more than happy to answer any questions regarding the Vagabond 42. My family was lucky enough to own the very first one made, and we sailed her from Taiwan back to the US via South China Sea, Indian Ocean, south Atlantic and Carrib.

The interior layout of ours was unique, but my father helped design all of the layouts, most of which were targeted to the charter boat market.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:31   #14

Re: Vagabond 42 & 47, Liberty 45 - Opinions?

I know this is an older thread but we are considering a Vagabond 42. We also will be cruising with 2 kids (12 and 9) in the FL keys, Bahamas and points south. We'll be leaving at the end of this summer (2012) before school starts.

For those of you who own Vagabond 42s, I would love to get more information on the sailing characteristics, particularly:
- How well do they heave-to? Do they balance and avoid much forward progress?
- I have concerns about their ability to sail to windward and tack. We are not racers but having a reasonable ability to point well and tack would be nice.

Thanks for your help.

--TaylorSailors
taylorsailors is offline   Reply With Quote