Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 05:50   #1

Bavaria (Farr) Proud About Hull Frame Reinforcements - What About The Others ?

Hello cruisers!

I´ve been reading this forum for quite a while but this is my first post - so don´t be to harsh on me ...

We´re a family of three (not too long before we´re four :-) with a 2 year old.

We have gathered some sailing experience over the last summers in the baltic sea - currently on our Olle Enderlein designed 8m sailboat - and are flirting with a move to liveaboards in the Med - but it´s a very fresh idea and more of a long term project - so no need for swift action ...

We are looking at the 40-45`cruisers range and while I think that older boats like Tayana, Hans Christians, Cape Dorys etc. are beautiful boats, we do consider as well mass production boats like Beneteau, Bavaria etc. with more "family space" built into them (since we don`t plan circumnavigations but would be more coastal "hoppers" liveaboards.

So while reading about different mass production boats ...

I find it odd that Bavaria has quite some information on their production process online, especially the hull reinforcement they call "larger framing, glassed into the hull" and "Bulkheads are similarly tabbed into the frames and deck-head making for a very stiff and strong yacht." - while I cannot find any equally facts related information on Beneteaus or Jeanneaus website concerning such - in my amateurish thinking - rather important structural methods.

I´m aware of the thread concerning liners here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-75711.html

So my question would be: Where´s the information from the other boatbuilders concerning their latest ideas on stability improvements?

I´m also aware that the question of hull stability is more of theoretical value concerning our sailing habits but I`m just curious and in the process of gathering information about different boats ...

Can anybody point me in the direction to such information concerning boats in our search-range?

And how valid or sound do you consider the bavaria information on hull stability? I know that an older Bavaria (before Farr) once lost a keel - so they are a little pressed in PR terms to make up for it ... But what about the others?

And in case we should all of a sudden decide we change from coastal to bluewater cruising - which would be your favorite mass produced boat in the 40-45` max. 250.000 dollar range and why?

Thanks a lot for your knowledge!

Robin
RobinCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:31   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Bavaria (Farr) proud about Hull Frame Reinforcements - what about the others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinCruise View Post
Hello cruisers!

I´ve been reading this forum for quite a while but this is my first post - so don´t be to harsh on me ...

We´re a family of three (not too long before we´re four :-) with a 2 year old.

We have gathered some sailing experience over the last summers in the baltic sea - currently on our Olle Enderlein designed 8m sailboat - and are flirting with a move to liveaboards in the Med - but it´s a very fresh idea and more of a long term project - so no need for swift action ...

We are looking at the 40-45`cruisers range and while I think that older boats like Tayana, Hans Christians, Cape Dorys etc. are beautiful boats, we do consider as well mass production boats like Beneteau, Bavaria etc. with more "family space" built into them (since we don`t plan circumnavigations but would be more coastal "hoppers" liveaboards.

So while reading about different mass production boats ...

I find it odd that Bavaria has quite some information on their production process online, especially the hull reinforcement they call "larger framing, glassed into the hull" and "Bulkheads are similarly tabbed into the frames and deck-head making for a very stiff and strong yacht." - while I cannot find any equally facts related information on Beneteaus or Jeanneaus website concerning such - in my amateurish thinking - rather important structural methods.

I´m aware of the thread concerning liners here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-75711.html

So my question would be: Where´s the information from the other boatbuilders concerning their latest ideas on stability improvements?

I´m also aware that the question of hull stability is more of theoretical value concerning our sailing habits but I`m just curious and in the process of gathering information about different boats ...

Can anybody point me in the direction to such information concerning boats in our search-range?

And how valid or sound do you consider the bavaria information on hull stability? I know that an older Bavaria (before Farr) once lost a keel - so they are a little pressed in PR terms to make up for it ... But what about the others?

And in case we should all of a sudden decide we change from coastal to bluewater cruising - which would be your favorite mass produced boat in the 40-45` max. 250.000 dollar range and why?

Thanks a lot for your knowledge!

Robin
Try this thread for information:

Interesting Sailboats - SailNet Community
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:03   #3

Re: Bavaria (Farr) proud about Hull Frame Reinforcements - what about the others?

Hi Polux,

thank you for this link - it´s a new one to me :-)

What a giant thread - seems like I have literature there for the next year ...

I´ll try to search it for my topics ...

Best

Robin
RobinCruise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria