Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2007, 05:53   #16

Go to Yachtworld and search for "colvin" good designs that might meet your requirements.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 06:21   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Terry ,where are you located?
You must be a Great lakes sailor.
Old 20-12-2007, 06:35   #18

Great Lakes????? Heck no. I'm a southern boy, it gets COLD up that way!

I live north of Atlanta about 35 miles, a mile or so from Lake Lanier.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 06:40   #19

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Stevens / Hylas 47

Terry,

I've now owned four ocean capable cruising boats, been living aboard full-time since 1993 and crossed the Pacific, Indian & Atlantic Oceans.

We traded up from our 37 Worldcruiser Pilothouse to our Sparkman & Stephens designed Hylas 47 nearly five years ago. And we absolutely LOVE her.

She was a bit of a wreck when we bought her and have since completely re-fit her and customized her extensively with hard bimini, stern arch and Hylas 49 style stepped transom... all while raising Arrrr Boy (now 4 years of age) aboard in the Caribbean.

As posted above - I cannot say enough about the comfort and handling ease both at the dock and offshore.

As cruisers, we have her loaded down with tons of toys & comfort... but even so we recently tagged 9.0 knots running off the wind while towing a rigid inflatable!

Have a look at the Stevens 47 listed on Yachtworld by Maritime Yacht Sales - I've seen it around here a number of times. She is LOADED and meets your price. She's located on St John in the USVI. So (if nothing else) you'll get a warm vacation from the winter chill.

Happy hunting.

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 07:47   #20

Kirk,

I have looked at the Stevens 47 in St. John on Yachtworld. VERY interesting. Some of the stuff is not as I would prefer (no generator... engine driven refrig compressor....) but the price would leave room for refit stuff, particularly if it could be negotiated a bit lower.

Do you have any personal experience or knowledge of the boat or know anyone who does?

Terry
Old 20-12-2007, 08:05   #21

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Stevens 47

I am refitting a Stevens. Great boats. Not sure why you are not jumping all over the one listed at 159K as it seems to fit your criteria and is well priced if all the equipment is in good condition.
Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 08:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
I am refitting a Stevens. Great boats. Not sure why you are not jumping all over the one listed at 159K as it seems to fit your criteria and is well priced if all the equipment is in good condition.
Jack

Hey, who is to say I am not! I have emailed the broker on that boat seeking more pics and info....

Terry
Old 20-12-2007, 08:33   #23

Boat: Tayana 48 - Mata'irea
Terry,

Have you considered a Tayana 47/48? There should be room to negotiate down the price on this one
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale
in Sarasota, due to the age of the electronics. We are really happy with our 1993 Tayana 48. We put 13,000 miles on her this year, and she did just great. For more info about our boat search and how we wound up in a Tayana - go here: About Mata'irea

Best of luck,

Danika
Mata'irea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 13:21   #24

There are lots of good boats in the range you are looking at. Maybe Boats.com or Yachtworld searches to narrow it down. Some of the Jeneaus might also fit your requirements.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 14:58   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mata'irea View Post
<snip>
For more info about our boat search and how we wound up in a Tayana - go here: About Mata'irea

Best of luck,

Danika
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do want to say welcome to Danika and Sten. It's good to have you on Cruisers Forum. I've been reading your blog and I'm enjoying reading about your cruise. I've read up to your entry into the ABCs so far.

Perhaps you'd take the time to post an entry on the Meets and Greets Forum to let everyone know you're here and tell us a bit about the two of you (and Lenore, too) and again, welcome aboard.

TaoJones
Old 27-12-2007, 02:53   #26

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
I am having a Dix 43 with centre cockpit built right now. The standard layout has one big cabin aft (which can also be split up in two), and two cabins forward. In my layout I keep the big aft cabin, which also allows me some office space, but I am going to convert one of the forward cabins into a little workshop+storage.
Old 27-12-2007, 21:52   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded Mariner View Post
I am having a Dix 43 with centre cockpit built right now. The standard layout has one big cabin aft (which can also be split up in two), and two cabins forward. In my layout I keep the big aft cabin, which also allows me some office space, but I am going to convert one of the forward cabins into a little workshop+storage.

Any Pix? Love to see them.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 21:58   #28

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
Charlie,

Here's a link to a few pics of a Dix43. Mine will look like the one on the site, only the big arch in the back will be smaller.
Dix 43 Centre Cockpit - Sailing photos

Best regards,
Andreas
Old 27-12-2007, 23:48   #29

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post

So we want a blue water capable boat. We want each kid to have their own cabin and thus to have room for active grandparents to come visit. My wife is not going along with this plan if it means "camping in a cave" ie: living aboard long term in something crazy cramped (she understands that any boat is going to be tiny... we have owned a number of boats).
Terry
My word of advise if you're a straight up Monohull sailor is "Don't Show The Wife and Kids a catamaran". I was a mono advocate for years then my wife dragged me onboard a cat. Next winter we sailed on my buddies Voyage 440 in the BVI's and that's when I came down with Cat Scratch Fever. Much easier to manuever in marina's, the shallow draft allowing to get in closer for protection, the wider beam means no rocking back 'n forth through the night like the mono's anchored nearby, comfort in sailing with limited healing means not having to put things away (kids toys, etc) that otherwise would be crashing about while underway. I admit that I still occaisionally miss healing in the slot while beating upwind - but with all the trade-offs I've come to like the comforts, room and speed of a cat.

Had an Irwin Citation that had the chain plate issues. But really liked the boat. Fast - for a monohull - and nice design.

Either way, you're on the right track in getting out and cruising.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 05:28   #30

Boat: B24
<if it means "camping in a cave">

I think I’ll second the Irwin 52… When I had my liveaboard Irwin 42 (bought it twenty years ago or so and had it for about ten years), I spent a good bit of time aboard several 52s thinking to move up… although I never had youngsters aboard for extended periods, we often had long-term liveaboard adult guests on the 42 and I always felt more like I was in a gymnasium than a cave… and I recall the rather extravagant dimensions of the 52 felt like it was 50% larger that the 42, not just 10 feet…

Despite your mechanical inclinations and aptitude, I agree that it should either be older (less expensive) vessel needing a thorough refit, or much newer with no immediate attention expected… I enjoy mechanical things (not at your level, but have rebuilt several motorcycles and can overhaul simple motors; albeit at a rather leisurely pace…) but I grew weary of the city-engineer feeling required to keep all the environmental/ventilation/sanitation systems of a larger, more complex vessel humming… wouldn’t tackle today’s techno-gizmos for the world (although solar power intrigues me), they don’t humor me… but for family liveaboard, I suspect it’s more or less required and is readily accessible in an Irwin 52 or the like…

Tags
center cockpit