Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 21:09   #31

Re: Thoughts on biminis A necessity?

My first real bimini was on my Peterson 44. After a while you get used to not always seeing the main and learn to sail by feel. My 26 footer that I did many tropical miles on had a dodger and I made a small canvas that would attach to the dodger and a pole that I tied across the backstays. It was attached with shock cord in case of a jibe. After a dozen years in the tropics, I still ended up with 4 or 5 skin cancer operations, but without the bimini it would have been much worse. I just bought my BUCKET LIST boat to go south again, and I will most certainly have a good bimini. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 21:29   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
That's pretty much what I figured, but I wanted some feedback.

As someone pointed out, on Dehlers it's recessed into the cockpit floor. Most other boats are similar now. And it's not just Dehler, but also off the top of my head, these yachts all have the traveller going through the cockpit:

Salona
Alerion
Dragonfly
Elan
Beneteau (first series)
X-yachts (performance series)
J-boats

I assume it's better for racing. I'm just curious how hard it is to live with that arrangement as a cruiser.
If the boat speaks to you in other ways, and you find no other options - an umbrella works up to 15 knots of wind
Old 12-09-2016, 04:27   #33

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

We had neither a dodger nor bimini on our First 375 for 20+ years. The traveller was in the cockpit, & the OH hated the looks of canvas. We did have a large sun awning which covered the entire cockpit & most of the coachroof for use at anchor or in port. We were in the Med, in summer. It was hot! But we were young, liked a tan, and could take it.

Now, I sincerely regret it. The sun truly is an enemy of the skin. Think beyond the discomfort of extreme heat to the wrinkles and cancers.

Our new boat has full canvas and we couldn't handle full sun now. We love the shade, although we still usually put the bimini back when sailing to enable us to see the sails. As mentioned earlier though, time at the helm is a small proportion of time on board for most.

There are undoubtedly ways to make a bimini for your boat. I strongly recommend finding one which works for you.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:55   #34
cruiser

Our bimini is up 100% of the time we stay on the boat May through October.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:39   #35

Boat: LAGOON 400

here is one of the main reasons we choose lagoon:

no matter sun angle, one can always find shade OUTSIDE boat.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:47   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Nice boat! Forgot who did it but recessing the traveler into the deck sounds interesting. I would imagine it will need frequent freshwater rinses.

To your question, yes a covering from the combing to just forward of the main sheet is a great idea. I live in FLA and altough I do not cruise often I sail VERY often. Canvas forward of the main sheet and nothing aft of the mainsheet. I do wear long sleeve Columbia shirts all the time. Amazing after 4-6 months of wearing once a week or less all the shirts fade. Better that then my skin.

If you want a Bimini over the helm, a good canvas maker can make a Bimini that accommodates the backstays. I don't have one, since I like checking the main trim. There is a guy here in St. Petersburg that has an interesting way of doing it that looks fairly waterproof.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:00   #37

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
That's not a bad idea.
You could also look for similar boats for sale and check those bimini set ups. Two Biminis may be needed, one aft of the traveler and a larger one over the companionway and cockpit.

My Beneteau has a pretty large bimini that goes from lifeline to lifeline (about 80- square feet!) a must in Miami

Marc
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:53   #38

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

In the tropics boats without cover of some kind are as rare as hen's teeth. We have a pilot house added to a Colvin Gazelle with sliding tops. Great at night! Always closed during the day and great to catch rain.

Jim and Helen sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:07   #39

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Ditto on the must have.

Look at some of the Corsair and Farrier trimarans with cockpit travelers for Bimini solutions.

Caveat: after owning an F-31 I'll never own any boat with a cockpit traveler, which is why we went to the Corsair 36.

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:35   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

You'll "die" without sun protection. I have a bimini as big as a billiard table and sun curtains on 3 sides.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:07   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Ditto on the must have.

Look at some of the Corsair and Farrier trimarans with cockpit travelers for Bimini solutions.

Caveat: after owning an F-31 I'll never own any boat with a cockpit traveler, which is why we went to the Corsair 36.

Regards,
There is a huge difference between the older F boats with the beam on a bridge between the seats, and a travler recessed into the deck. I agree the first is an absolute nightmare to deal with for anything but racing, the second is a really nice trade off between livability and reducing boom loads and traveler line loads.

Personally I would be fine with a recessed travler.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:13   #42

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

As a former New Yorker my standard reply is if you don't like the sun/heat go back north. My Bimini and dodger sits in a dockbox unless going out for a week or more. Even with my large window I cannot see the sails as well as with the Bimini down.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:30   #43

Boat: ODAY 28

yes, here in the south it is a necessity
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:02   #44

Our last bimini had the solor panels solid mounted so it could never be dropped. It and the dodger was in need of a refit so we opted for a sail arch/hardtop with flush mounted solar. Overall windage was reduced, plus its a cruiser, not a racer. I can't get worked up about lossing a knot from windage when we have two tons of beer, food, dive gear, fishing gear, beer, tools beer. etc. atteched was the original concept and the actual. www.sailinglunasea.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	persprearfull.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	131061   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151107_135500.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	131062  

h2ojunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:37   #45

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Even here in the NW I would have a difficult time without my Bimini. Sun and Rain. It also provides a good rest for my solar panels.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini