Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 05:45   #1

the 90' vs 2010? 'where' to go for a boat?

Ahoy,

this is my first post, so feel free to crash me. I supposed there are already some threads on this, sorry for not being able to find them, just redirect me.

Besides that, I kindly ask for a general advice.

I am a 1-2 weeks per year holiday sailor, but I am planning to switch in the near future to a full time live-aboard / cruising, transitioning eventually towards ocean passages. I have noticed that with my limited budget, I can go either towards a more quality blue-water boat from the early 90' (Najad, Malo, HR maybe) or a production boat from early 2010 (Bavaria for example). I am not in position to put 'labels' on producers, but you got the idea.

Using the hypothesis that both categories of boats have been maintained properly, which category will likely cause less problems at sea if used for long periods of time?

So in other words the initial advantage of design and craftsmanship is offset or not in 20 years of fairly usage? Would you go around the world in a hallberg-rassy from the late 80' or a bavaria from 2010?

The initial investment being the same, the maintenance costs will be higher for which category? The older boat will feel better when 'working', but it will 'work' less?

Is there a thin line between the categories and all depends on specific boats, or there is a somewhat clear advantage for ones or the others?

For more clarity, my focus is not on inconveniences (incidents that will put some anatomy related words in my mouth), but more on failure of important systems (that may lead to a pan-pan or a mayday situation).

thank you in advance for sharing any thought or resource in this matter.

cheers,
Radu
radu dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:39   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: the 90' vs 2010? 'where' to go for a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radu dumas View Post

Using the hypothesis that both categories of boats have been maintained properly, which category will likely cause less problems at sea if used for long periods of time?
If they have been maintained they will be the same.

I have a 2001 production boat and have lived full time cruising the last 19 months and have owned the boat for 7 years. Have never had a problem with anything the builder made, just the things installed in the boat that are the same pretty much the same regardless of boat make.

Of course if people start chiming in they are going to start spinning stories about xxxx. But it just comes down to whether YOU need the "safety"of brand name.

There are lots of threads here basically the same question you have asked. Once you have read one you have read them all.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:04   #3

Both years are production boats so just pick the best one.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 11:37   #4

Boat: Swan 432

Your thread title is a bit confusing, maybe edit it to read “1990 vs 2010” or “10 year old vs 30 year old”. As it is now it looks like you are comparing 90 feet vs the year 2010.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat