Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 09:14   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Steel Van de Stadt History

Does anyone know the history of the Steel Van de Stadt History? Lots for sale, but not a lot of information on them.

Do they have a similar history to the Roberts designs?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 23:01   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Steel Van de Stadt History

Hi, Ted,

In a sense, yes, it is similar. There are designs, offered for sale by the designers. Imho, the Van de Stadts were a little more performance oriented, especially when executed in aluminium rather than steel.

A lot of Roberts designs seem to me to be pretty clunky, i.e., not performance oriented.

Ann
Old 15-02-2016, 23:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Ted,

In a sense, yes, it is similar. There are designs, offered for sale by the designers. Imho, the Van de Stadts were a little more performance oriented, especially when executed in aluminium rather than steel.

A lot of Roberts designs seem to me to be pretty clunky, i.e., not performance oriented.

Ann
So, am i right in thinking they are boats made from plans that are Van de Stads? So theres not a boat yard somewhere that makes all the Van de Stads?
Old 15-02-2016, 23:43   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
So, am i right in thinking they are boats made from plans that are Van de Stads? So theres not a boat yard somewhere that makes all the Van de Stads?
Exactly! You buy the plans, and wright the boat yourself, or have it done, in steel, alloy, or grp. Look at the Samoas. Starzinger had one made for him in alloy, and here in Oz, "Brownie" in Harwood, did two in alloy that I know about. We looked at a steel one, one time.

Another poster, from Tassie, Wotname, has a Van de Stadt design boat, as well. Not positive, but I believe it is plywood....It is the boat that Boatman 61 delivered to Tasmania after he was stiffed on a long delivery fee, and CF'ers donated to the maritime lawyer in Perth who took his case pro bono. The lawyer's a gem! So is Wotname.

Ann

Ps: in case you're interested, Van de Stadt means something like of or from the State, Stadt meaning "State", and might be pronounced (I'm not certain ofthis) "Schtaht" sort of like shtate, but with the "a" sounding "aah".
Old 15-02-2016, 23:51   #5

Quote:
Exactly! You buy the plans, and wright the boat yourself, or have it done, in steel, alloy, or grp. Look at the Samoas. Starzinger had one made for him in alloy, and here in Oz, "Brownie" in Harwood, did two in alloy that I know about. We looked at a steel one, one time.

Another poster, from Tassie, Wotname, has a Van de Stadt design boat, as well. Not positive, but I believe it is plywood....It is the boat that Boatman 61 delivered to Tasmania after he was stiffed on a long delivery fee, and CF'ers donated to the maritime lawyer in Perth who took his case pro bono. The lawyer's a gem! So is Wotname.

Ann

Ps: in case you're interested, Van de Stadt means something like of or from the State, Stadt meaning "State", and might be pronounced (I'm not certain ofthis) "Schtaht" sort of like shtate, but with the "a" sounding "aah".
Old 16-02-2016, 00:11   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Unlike Roberts, I believe that VDS would also supply precut steel or alloy panels, interior timber furnishings and so on, making the amateur built boats have a better chance of being well turned out. Some that we have been on were quite nice, and of course, Hawk has a memorable history of voyaging in the Evans and Beth's hands.

Jim
Old 16-02-2016, 01:46   #7

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
close!
Stadt is from the old german stat and means place or village/town.
Staat is state

pronounciation is like the english "stud" with the additional t at the end making the d sharper
the Schtadt pronounciation is more common in the central/southern part of Germany or what is called "hochdeutsch", the northern german dialekts and the dutch language do not turn the S to Sh (english influence)
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 02:09   #8

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Good boats , if they are built to plans. Van de Start has real pedigree as a designer and knows how to design a boat that sails well. He was one of the first to Pioneer light displacement fin keelers, such as stormvogel.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-02-2016, 02:37   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
…...

Ann
Yep, it's a Van de Stadt Dogger and you are correct, it's plywood - 31' x 8.5'. Built professionally in Fremantle in the 70's as a offshore racer. I have heard of some steel Doggers, particularly out of South Africa.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 02:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Steel Van de Stadt History

He's also designed a variety of successful Production boats.. the Pioneer 9 and 10 are his designs..
In fact just about any plastic boat with the entry hatch curved into an arch is likely his.. a distinctive 'trade mark'
The Mirror Offshore was his and Dehler used him a lot..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 03:48   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Van de Stadt Design applies four fundamental principles: speed, comfort, safety and quality.

History ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Philosophy ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Designs ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 04:12   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Van de Stadt Design applies four fundamental principles: speed, comfort, safety and quality.

History ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Philosophy ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Designs ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects
A+1...
Cheers Gord..!!

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-02-2016, 04:17   #13

Boat: Comet 41s

Van de Stadt was one of the most innovative boat designers from the 50's and 60's specialized in fast light sailboats and racing sailboats, as most innovative designers are. He founded a shipyard to built them, a shipyard that later was sold in the 70's to Dehler.

He leaved the Design firm he created back in 1978 with 68 years of age. The firm today is leaded by Van Tongeren that started to work with Van de Stadt in the late 60's.

Contrary to its innovative spirit that designs become quite conservative and at a given time they specialized in heavy steel designs that they sold mostly to amateur boat builders. Seaworthy designs and designed to be strong no doubt, typically Dutch designs, but less innovative than the designs of another Dutch designer of the 70's, Dick Zall that besides designing at the time Contest boats also specialized in steel and aluminum designs.

Van de Stadt has a catalog of designs that can be commanded, most of them old designs.

They are not a very active firm and if you look at their list of designs you will see that most are really old ones. The last designs, particularly of aluminum boats and the ones designed for Winner are less conservative and more interesting indicating some new blood on the firm.
Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

But it is rather sad that when most think about Vand de Stadt they just think about heavy conservative steel boat that were not designed by him, but by his firm after he leaved and not on the beautiful creative fast designs that were is trademark, boats like Black Soo, designed with what is still today a modern keel and a modern spade rudder:

and that was almost 60 years ago!!!!!
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 04:42   #14

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Nowadays there is Kees van de stadt who owns satellite yacht design;

Satellite Yacht Design | Dutch Yacht Design by Kees van de Stadt

cool stuff...

Not sure if he is related to the late E.G van de Stadt.

Cheers,

JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 05:05   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Ann T. Cate;2047246]

AnnQUOTE]

Right on ALL counts Ann...
and folk wonder why I like CF..

Tags
history, steel