Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 05:26   #16

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Steel Van de Stadt History

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
Nowadays there is Kees van de stadt who owns satellite yacht design;

Satellite Yacht Design | Dutch Yacht Design by Kees van de Stadt

cool stuff...

Not sure if he is related to the late E.G van de Stadt.

Cheers,

JJ
Yes, I agree that it is a much more interesting design cabinet and it is kind of funny that a Van de Stadt is not working in Van de Stadt (that has no Van de Stadt designing there) and that he works for Satellite yacht design (that was founded by Van de Stadt). A bit confusing, two Vand de Stadt founded design yacht firms and the one that is called Vand de Stadt has not any Vand de Stadt working there.

This is is favorite design, a 48ft boat

Also some very interesting and nice aluminum voyage boats:
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 08:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Van de Stadt has a catalog of designs that can be commanded, most of them old designs. ...
But it is rather sad that when most think about Vand de Stadt they just think about heavy conservative steel boats that were not designed by him, but by his firm after he leaved and not on the beautiful creative fast designs that were is trademark, boats like Black Soo, designed with what is still today a modern keel and a modern spade rudder.
Correcting some information about this:

Even if most (or all?) steel boat designs that are on the Vand de Stadt catalog have not been designed by him, being old but posterior designs, Vand de Stadt designed numerous steel boats before retiring on the 70's even if they were a minority among his designs.

Most of those steel designs are from the 60's and 70's, they are still numerous on the 70's, become scarce on the 80's and practically disappeared on the 90's being the last one from 1991. They designed some Steel/aluminum boats before substituting completely the steel by the aluminum on the cabinet designs for that type of boat.
Old 16-02-2016, 08:25   #18

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)

[QUOTE=boatman61;2047375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Another poster, from Tassie, Wotname, has a Van de Stadt design boat, as well. Not positive, but I believe it is plywood....It is the boat that Boatman 61 delivered to Tasmania after he was stiffed on a long delivery fee, and CF'ers donated to the maritime lawyer in Perth who took his case pro bono. The lawyer's a gem! So is Wotname.
AnnQUOTE]

Right on ALL counts Ann...
and folk wonder why I like CF..
That's a heart warming story..
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 08:47   #19

Kind of like when folks talk about a "Garden"design ketch. Really does not mean much. Use to be VDS boats were fairly large steel yachts for cruising. Otherwise, the name nowadays just means someone with a lot steel, welded together something that resembles a VDS design. If your looking at an older one, try to find the rolled hull ones, not the welded chines ones. Big jump in quality construction. But then you knew that, right?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 09:00   #20

Boat: Victoire 1122

Polux and JJ77 are rigt. Van der Stadt is a famous Dutch yacht designer. He was one of the first designers building in GRP the "Pionier 10" in the sixties last century.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 09:54   #21

Boat: Turkish Gulet, 19m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Van de Stadt was one of the most innovative boat designers from the 50's and 60's specialized in fast light sailboats and racing sailboats, as most innovative designers are. He founded a shipyard to built them, a shipyard that later was sold in the 70's to Dehler.

He leaved the Design firm he created back in 1978 with 68 years of age. The firm today is leaded by Van Tongeren that started to work with Van de Stadt in the late 60's.
Contrary to its innovative spirit that designs become quite conservative and at a given time they specialized in heavy steel designs that they sold mostly to amateur boat builders. Seaworthy designs and designed to be strong no doubt, typically Dutch designs, but less innovative than the designs of another Dutch designer of the 70's, Dick Zall that besides designing at the time Contest boats also specialized in steel and aluminum design.

Van de Stadt has a catalog of designs that can be commanded, most of them old designs.

They are not a very active firm and if you look at their list of designs you will see that most are really old ones. The last designs, particularly of aluminum boats and the ones designed for Winner are less conservative and more interesting indicating some new blood on the firm.
Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

But it is rather sad that when most think about Vand de Stadt they just think about heavy conservative steel boat that were not designed by him, but by his firm after he leaved and not on the beautiful creative fast designs that were is trademark, boats like Black Soo, designed with what is still today a modern keel and a modern spade rudder:

and that was almost 60 years ago!!!!!
Van der Stadt was in his time a design giant who opened a whole new book in design, in particular light fast boats made from plywood. The plans he sold were precise and clear. In the early seventies i built a Primaat (7.10 m). It sailed very well.
ColonelWima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 11:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelWima View Post
Van der Stadt was in his time a design giant who opened a whole new book in design, in particular light fast boats made from plywood. The plans he sold were precise and clear. In the early seventies i built a Primaat (7.10 m). It sailed very well.
Some are still around and sailing fast
Old 16-02-2016, 15:42   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

A boatyard in Toronto Canada built Van de stadt 30's out of steel in the 70's.
There are maybe 3 in my area still, but are not uncommon here on Great Lakes.

I was told by one owner that the 30 was the biggest boat that could be built in steel like an egg, with no frame, just a steel shell.

They are a good looking, strong boat.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 16:55   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Steel Van de Stadt History

Mine's a Canadian build but Quebec.. don't know if the yards still going though..
Builder is just listed as Mailloux Leclerc.. Quebec

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 18:40   #25

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

I saw a van de stadt 'glass slipper' on the hard at a boat yard. I don't remember any details, but I will never forget it, most beautiful hull ever.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 20:17   #26

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I don't see how confusion may arise...

E.G. vdS is a prominent designer. His name being so important that boats were named after him, either for commercial purposes or by hearsay, whatever the yard builder (on top, some were sold as a design, and built by amateurs)

The same is with a Sciarelli, in Italy.
We don't mind who did it, it is a signature boat.
Eventually, the maker of joinery is stressed (carlini, sangermani, valdettaro, cantiere Alto Adriatico,...)

I was told by a previous owner that building a 40' by "those" standards would exceed the half-million euro cost
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 23:43   #27

Boat: Van Der Stadt Seal 36

Well I have a VDS Seal 36, steel, multi chines hull built in NZ in 1989 and she is a beauty to sail, safe as anyone would want to be in any weather

I have not seen another 36' as roomy inside as that Seal, with beam of 3.56m and super comfortable for 4 people cruising

I say that Mr VDS was a genius designer well ahead of his time...

Rgds
Will
CaptWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 23:49   #28

Boat: Victoire 1122

Above I made a mistake in the name correct: "van de Stadt (Rikus)"
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 00:03   #29

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Brilliant gord, thanks
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 00:06   #30

Boat: Island Packet 40

I looked at building their Caribbean design rather than the Roberts based design I now Have. The problem was that steel boat builders were in short supply in Western Australia and the one I eventually managed to find would not build frameless boats.

Whilst doing the research I found that VDS were the most professional of the lot and their very economic study plans were exceptionally detailed. They also supplied polar diagrams for all their designs and survey societies would accept their plans if one wished to build the boat in survey.

For multi chine or alloy boats they could supply computer discs which allowed every piece of plate in the boat to be cut from sheets using a profile cutter. The individual pieces stayed in the sheet and could be cut loose using a jig saw to cut through the very small retainer tabs.

Their Australian agent was Eddie Rooms in Townsville and I had a number of phone discussions with him over a number of years and found him very pleasant and helpful.

If I had my boat building to do over I would search more widely for a builder anywhere in Australia then ship the hull to wherever I wanted to fit it out. This would have saved me no end of grief and costs over the years with maintenance problems, none of the VDSs I have seen have any water traps built into them.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
history, steel